Monster Whitetail gets dropped with Revolver

Well, I live in Texas, and I suppose we probably have more acreage under high fence than anywhere else (we pride ourselves on "going big"). While I've never personally hunted a high fence place, I have guided on a few, and have run my tracking dogs on a bunch, so while I'm not a definitive expert, it is something I know a little about.

Now I'm not going to lie, and tell you that all high fence hunting is just like any other hunting, or any of that, but I will tell you that with the exception of some pen raised deer operations it's harder hunting than you think. Well fed deer are often hard to get on in daylight. I know of a deer who escaped a small enclosure into a 105 acre pasture that is nasty thick. They tried for 3 years to dart that deer so they could put him up. Then they decided to just kill him...never happened. They could get trail cam pics of him, and could spotlight him, but that was the only way they could see him. He died at age 9 from something other than a projectile induced hole.

There are also some pretty big places down here where a whole bunch of the deer don't have a clue they are high fenced, as they've never seen the boundary of the ranch. In those cases the fence just doesn't have anything to do with the hunt...so is it less than fair chase? I don't know...

I've seen the arguments about why people high fence forever. Some claim its simple greed, wanting to keep all the good bucks to themselves, or ego, wanting to grow huge Frankenstein bucks, and there probably is some of that. There are also other reasons, like the guy who scrapes and saves to buy a section, does all the right things as far as habitat management, and makes a financial commitment to maintaining a healthy deer population. Yet year after year he sees a maturity skewed less than healthy population because each of the 4 50 acre "ranchettes" that boarder him have 4 deer stands and are shooting 10-12 deer each. He can either continue to toil in futility, or he can consider fencing, and thus remove a variable that is effecting his success.

High fence deer don't really blow my whistle, and when showing off the deer I've shot, I'm likely to mention that they are all low fence/no protein, but I also don't think they are ruining deer hunting, or are evil, and everyone who high fences is a greedy, shady no good cheater either. It's just different...

Oh, and as far as blackbucks...they are all high fenced regardless, as like pronghorn, they won't jump any fence. In some areas coyotes have figured this out and use it to their advantage. As far as fair chase on one though, as dumb as they are I don't know how you'd make it fair, for anyone who can shoot much over 200 yards they are pretty danged easy to get. Only things in their favor is that for no bigger than they are, they have a lot of tough, and they don't be still very often.

Almost anywhere in the country a 150 class buck is a trophy... Growing up I shot the first deer that came by with antlers... There are definitely more deer in my area now than when I was a kid.. The first deer I ever shot was a symmetrical 8 point, today I would call it a basket rack but at the time it just as well been a 200 inch buck... If you put in your time, get beat by the elements but push on and preserve until you harvest the target animal to your own set standards... Then it don't mean a hill of beans what anyone else thinks... That connection you feel with nature and the culmination of the efforts you put forth to get to that point, is a personal state of being no one else touch without being there... We can all empathize with each other, due to the fact we all know that feeling, however the specific ones tied to your hunt are yours and yours alone... You can share it with another but they have to be present to absorb it...

I understand everyone's feelings about hunting high fenced animals... I can't really knock it, for I have never done it... I imagine it as "that feeling of the culmination of your efforts" not being there... Not matching your wits against a free range animal in its environment... Being led by a guide and told to "sit here" and then shooting the animal seems to be an incomplete experience...

For me, if it where not all the failures prior to final success I would not appreciate it as much... "Nothing worthwhile in life comes easy"... The phrase kinda applies to hunting as well...

But dig this... No hunt is a failure if you live in the moment and just appreciate your time in the field.. We all grow old and will come a time when all that is left is memories... Memories and taxidermy
w00t.gif

Yessir, some of my best trophies are memories of the big ones I didn't get. They have names, "White Horn", and "Back-up" to name two, and stories about how they beat me, that I'm sure my buddies tire of hearing. They are just as precious to me as the ones hanging on my wall, the taxidermy is just the door to the memories, and those are the true trophies.

I must admit, I often wonder if a hunter I've guided recalls the experience as their own success.

Back