MN February moon calling reports.

Fun night, But we had our miss-happs alright.

1st set. Nothing after the distress sounds. Did some female interogation and about 1 minute later a fox showed up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif....That had already cut our tracks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif and was straight down wind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif. I started lip squeeking and it came closer. It gave me a good look at 150yds and I was affraid of it scenting us and bolting. BANG-MISS! [beeep]!?

2nd set. Started with mating chirps. Only 5-6 minutes in I see one jogging accrossed one of the white spots in the feild behind me. I turn, it stops, Theres a fence in the way and I dont want to chop a wire and miss. It starts moving again, I try to stop it and it wont. It gallops into the black part of the feild and over a hill...Gone. Go's back into the woods and chews us out with warning barks/howls.

3rd set. Started with some female invitation, then went to mating chirps, then distress. Was about ready to switch sounds after doing distress for 10 minutes. Then I hear Chris start lip squeeking. Turns out a coyote came from his right and took of again from the dirrection it came from, all while I was blasting the call /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif, But thats ok cause about a minute later a fox came in from Chris's left. It was commited to circling on us and was about to get behind a hill. We both tried to stop the dang thing but it would'nt. I told Chris just to shoot it and he's an excelent listener cause thats exactly what he did. He rolled the little fart at 43 steps on the move /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4th set nothing.

It was a fun cold snowy night....Good times good times...
Thanks again, Phil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif...

Went out this morning to spot and stalk found one in the first couple miles. DIdnt get a crack at him. Cousin called said they saw 3 go into a woods, so we were going to drive them out. Ended up getting all three. They are really starting to move with the breeding season being here.

Good evening yoters... Me and Hunter00/Ron and Greg are Heading out tonight around 11:30pm and hiting it hard tonight..Hope it will be is good as the last few nights that would be just SWEET /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif!!!Got a few new spots today that we are going to hit tonight..Should be a great night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif..
Keep u posted..

Chris...

I'm thinking the moon wont be high enough to see very well until about 1am. I could be wrong. The new snow is a MAJOR plus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. Had I known this snow was comming, I'd have held off last night and hunted tonight instead. I know after I get some sleep and wake up tomorrow, I'll regret not going tonight. I'm dang sleepy after two nights of hunting.

Put a major hurtin on'em tonight guy's! Shoot one for me and then shoot one for yourself too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Lookin forward to the report/reports.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHH! I quit! Anybody want to buy my stuff. 0-4 last night. I keep telling myself that it cant get much worse and it does. Best night yet this year as far as weather. Three new spots. First spot I called nothing, and had I gone about 30 more feet up the road I would have seen the tracks of 2 that left the area earlier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif Second spot was perfect, but nothing. Third spot there were tracks crossing the road going into where I was going to call, so I started with howls. Thought I saw one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif crossing the field, but it was hard to see cause there was a big yard light right behind it, then it went into a low area. Nothing ever showed up, wish I would have set up different. Live and learn. Last spot followed some fox tracks into the pasture played distress for about the first seven minutes the did some howling, zip, nadda, zilch.
0 for 19 with only one possible animal that I saw.
All my stuff in a package deal for 1.2 million. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
No that doesn't include the vehicle.

Tka250, I hear ya! I've been at it since the first week of November with a break for deer season. I called one in the very first stand but did not get a shot, I thought, this might be the start of a good season! Not! about 100 stands later, I have called in a total of 4, my nephew shot #2, my friend failed to anchor #3 with #4 buck shot while night hunting using the red spot light and shotguns, and I missed #4 this past Saturday. I'm averaging one coyote called every 4 weeks! 1.2 million? I only spent 1.1 million on my equipment! I'm done for now. I have to get some work done!

Anyone got any good ice fishing reports?

I made three stands last night with another PM'r. One stand was at a new place at sunset the other stands were on old reliable stands. We didn't see a thing and didn't have a vocal response.

I got a hot tip on some crappies. That's where I'll be tonight.

Randy, I don't know about the fish biting but the ice was biting every square inch of exposed skin on me this weekend! I attribute my missed shot on a coyote this weekend to my eyes being froze almost shut!

Randy, Walleyes on Vermilion where in 15-18 daylight, then 12-14 after dark, bite was slow but those that did where 3-5 lbs- some you keep some go back- This time of the year I realy hate the slot limit!! Jumbo Perch where in 14 most of the day/night, got 6 1/2lb's.

Vermilion is a fun lake. I like to go there in the summer time and catch walleyes and smallmouth. But it's a long drive for me and my portable.

FlyingV,

You are way hardier than I am. That night you and I were out was about my limit. This past weekend was tooooo cold for me to venture out.

I'm paying for my "hardiness"! Full blown head and chest cold!

But its worth it! At least I keep I keep telling myself that!

going tonight I plan on 4 or 5 sets we'll see how cold I get. I bought some snow camo to see if it helps.

Last edited:
Snow camo -DOES- help. If I'm hunting with a partner who does not have whites, I'll put him against some cattails or a fence line so he does'nt stick out like a sore thumb. Think of it this way...How easy is it for us to see 30lb coyotes comming acrossed a white feild? How easy is it for a coyote to see a 160lb person in dark cammo in a white field?

I'm thinking of going out tonight as well. The moon probly wont be high enough to see very well till about 2am. Keep that in mind. Unless of course you're using lights. GOOD LUCK TO YA!

Last edited:
Back