MN February moon calling reports.

Thanks Buker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif... I hope there are more to come also... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Leaddog.... I shot Her with my 30.06 little big to be shotting yotes but it does the job thats for sure... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Stay tunned for the story on last nights hunt. My budy Ben got his first coyote, and put a bullet in another one that I'm gonna look for tomorrow in the daylight. I shot one too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hey Phil looks like you guys really got into them after i left. It was a perfect night last night and it looked like it all came together. Congrats to Ben on his first! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Dam boy!! I dont think there are any left near the Metro area with you guys out!!!
Good luck this weekend, I'm leaving for LoTW tomarow afternoon.

Ben and I met Brandon (roosterslayer) in town about 9:30pm and the hunt was on. Started the fist set with female howls then followed them up with mating chirps. Then dying rabbit on the diaphragm had one charge in hard. Niether Brandon or Ben were able to see it from their positions. I barked, it stopped, and at 42 yds BANG-SLAP! 28lb male. No more showed after.

2nd set. Did a normal sceneario. Had an owl scare me good...dang thing came right at my face. Noticed some deer running down the hill aways out, probly under half a mile, then shortly after heard what was supposed to be a howling sound comming from another caller. That was a first for me. Our set was over anyways. I thought about screwing with the guy and getting him all riled up with my howler but I'm not mean like that and I did'nt trust him not to send a bullet in our dirrection towards the movement in his scope.

Dropped Brandon off so he could get some sleep before work.

Saw a raccoon of all things as we left town out in a small feild. It was a FAT raccoon.

Ben and I did a bunch of locating between sets last night but to absolutely no avail.

3rd set. Were on our way in and bumped into one on the way. We hit the deck fast and I was able to stop it for Ben at 190yds. BANG-SLAP! 32lb male. We danced around like idiots for a bit. That was Bens first.

4th set. Did the regular scenario.....Nothing. Were on the way out and one started howling from the area I had been calling to. He was a ways out but we got our butts back into possition. It was an old male, so I started with a female invitation. Then followed it up with mating chirps. Here he comes on Bens side. Lip sqweeked it into the wide open field. It was getting dangerousley down wind. I told Ben to stop it. Ben barks. The yote stops at about 125yds broadside for several seconds......No shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif. Then it starts to move again and gets behind a hill. I tell Ben he better stand and shoot. He stands and shoots BANG-SLAP! I see the coyote running at about half speed. I missed and Ben missed. Somehow Ben thought -I- was going to shoot and thats why he did'nt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif. His ears would have been in seriouse pain but whatever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.
Anyways he got blood and I'm on my way right now with Chris (new coyote) to see if I can recover it. Wish me luck....I'm not too confident I'll bring this one home. Descent blood but not alot.

Last edited:
This is probly the coolest predator hunting pic. I'v ever taken. Chris' coyote and fox, Bens coyote, My Fathers coyote, five of my coyotes and my fox. This picture was taken after I had already sold 4 of my yotes and brought another in to be tanned.

Last edited:
Ben here. New to the site -- and definitely a rookie at predator hunting! Wow -- just when you consider your self a 'pretty good hunter,' Phil Schmidt shows you this calling coyotes thing! Needless to say, I had a blast last night Phil! I should be tired running on only 3 hrs of sleep, but I think the adrenaline is still pumping!

I was still excited this morning, so I took a detour to work to check out some spots in the daylight. I'm hooked! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phil you and the boys had a very good.I hunted three spots last nite and came home about 12:30am empty handed again.There is some tracks here and there. I did not hear a single coyote anywhere.Maybe the popluation is low here.

I followed the blood trail for about 400yds and there was more than I thought. The yote stopped a few times and left puddles of blood about the size of my fist. The pics you see are one about 12 feet from the den and then a pic of the den itself. I thought about sticking my head in there to see if I could see it but I did'nt want to steel Bens glory. What do ya think Ben? Wanna go ahead and give a peek? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
I did not hear a single coyote anywhere.Maybe the popluation is low here.

We actually tried locating for the mojority of the night last night. Probly located at 8-10 different spots last night. I even tried using actual coyote sounds a couple times to see if it would make a difference, but nothing. Maybe the population is low here. (just funnin with ya in the last sentance). :)

Last edited:
Quote:
What do ya think Ben? Wanna go ahead and give a peek? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You go first! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wish I could have been there this morning! Cool pics!

We are kinda hesitant to try to locate them. IT seems that more often then not the ones we locate come to us rather then just howl. My uncle was on that locating thing one year and it seemed to get our coyotes not to answer. I am not saying its a bad thing to do, but i never do it unless we are going to walk after them the next day. How do you typically do your locating, howls/ or a whistle??

Back