MN February moon calling reports.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I've had enough owls scare the crap out of me this year. Getting bombed by an owl while making a set is somthing I'll never get used to. Then the dang things land in a tree next to you and give you that blank stare. I dont realy want a tallon in the eye. Why cant they just leave me alone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Dose of reality: A partner I was hunting with one time had an owl land on the ice in front of him. Of course he did'nt see it land and an owl looks nearly identical to a fox staring you down , ecspecially to the jumpy new predator hunter. Size, shape, it even has ears. I heard the shot shortly afterwords /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif but it was no skin off my back.

Phil I am looking at bypods and need any comments you may have. Shooting sticks are just to slow to move. The max lenthg I found at Cabelas is 27 inch's. Made by Harris.

The owls are driving me nuts also its pritty bad when u got to duc so they dont take your head off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif...I called in 4 owls in two sets.. Talk about bombing in on me in my face over my head u name it they have dun it to me dam things..How ever its kind of neat to here them talk back and forth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...

Quote:
The max lenthg I found at Cabelas is 27 inch's. Made by Harris.

Thats the one Richard. I've got a Harris model 25C. I believe it's 27 inches long also. Maybe it's the same one you're looking at. Mine is still flawless after probly 6-7 years of hard work.

Quote:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I've had enough owls scare the crap out of me this year. Getting bombed by an owl while making a set is somthing I'll never get used to. Then the dang things land in a tree next to you and give you that blank stare. I dont realy want a tallon in the eye. Why cant they just leave me alone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Dose of reality: A partner I was hunting with one time had an owl land on the ice in front of him. Of course he did'nt see it land and an owl looks nearly identical to a fox staring you down , ecspecially to the jumpy new predator hunter. Size, shape, it even has ears. I heard the shot shortly afterwords /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif but it was no skin off my back.

LOL! Your'e not the only one this has happened to. You swear that speck wasn't there a bit ago. Go to check it out in the scope at it looks like it has ears but wait to make sure and all of a sudden it moves it's head yep it must be a fox! Boom/smack high fives,trudge trudge trudge... [beeep] feathers!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I called 2 spots Wednesday night. Not too bad out didn't see anything but a owl. I D it correctly and it flew away to enjoy the rest of its life.

Called one spot Thursday night. It was cold lookin into that wind. stayed 30 minutes or so ... nothing

Called 5 spots on Friday night. 3 of them were beautiful habitat. Marginal snow cover and the holwing wind made them less than ideal sets. I reached a new level of cold that night. My lips are like sandpaper, and I am still wearing long johns trying to deal with my new cold fobia.

I picked up Randy Anderson's mastering the art. What a great video for those of us still looking to gain confidence with the open reed howlers and learn the meaning of the different sounds. I should have bought this a long time ago. I might get out again under this moon. I have one spot with freshly dumped cow parts that has been getting some hits. Time to brush up on the howls on head out into the cold.

Note to self: No fingerless wool gloves with white cotten gloves stretched over them.

Heading out for set at sunset tonight...Also heading out tonight at about 11:00pm tonight to do a few sets.. Call us nuts but got to go try it will be DAM cold but the wind will be alright i think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif...With a lot of luck and to stay warm mybe well come home with somting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...

We are going to try to squeeze a couple in tonight. Just hope my dad has a vehicle that runs. My battery took a crap. They should be hungry and horney. So it should be a good night. Plus its only 15 below. Good luck hope i can report in the morning.

Went out on Friday night to call some spots, but it was blowing harder than I was expecting. Being a lot discouraged this year without calling anything in yet I thought screw it, its not worth getting cold over. I checked out some other country and went home. I know, you aren't gonna kill'em at home, but I have had nothing but bad luck this year. This is a season I will forget in a hurry.

Wow Phil you are having a great year. Calling in critters about 40% of the time. How does this season stack up with years past?

Quote:
How does this season stack up with years past?

Last season I made 48 sets, called in 11 animals, 5 got killed, I shot 4.

05. Made 100 sets, called in 24 animals, 11 got killed, I shot 7.

Got my 2nd MN double of the year last night. Heard them howling when we walked in. Sat down and called one in. Took about 7mins of distress wich supprised me cause they were only 600yds away. Anyways killed that one,26lbs 10oz pup female (123yds). Then did some coyote sounds and brought the other two in about 10-12minutes later. Killed a big 35lb 13oz male only 10yds from where the first one layed. #3 coyote was about 1/16 of an inch from getting whacked. It stopped for a split second on the way out and I was beggining to execute a trigger pull on a 2lb break. But she lives to die another day. Tryed for about 15 minutes to call her back but no dice.

Made 6 sets last night but those were the only visitors.

My internet is screwed up......Be back in a few days or less hopefully.

Last edited:
"Did 4 sets lastnight"

1#set, Me and a buddy hit one of my new spots and wow i put my buddy about 75 yards down wind and i was on a hill up wind calling.So i starded call for about 2-3 mins i was going to put my call away so it would not freeze and i looked up and here is a yote coming hard right in front of me by the time i grabed my gun he was 11 foot steps away at this point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif,,He busted me big time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif wow he took off i got him to stop at 150 yard or so..Only for about a half a second. He ran again then i got him to stop again at 200yard+.Thinking i got u now but no i shot and missed and he ran like hell. There was no stoping him at this point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif..
So i got on the ki-yi call hard for about 1-2mins.so i waited for about 5 mins or so and hit my distress call hard for 1-2 mins..5 mins later here my buddy lip squaking and i look over that way and here comes one more out of the swamp area about 100+yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif..He shot and misses big time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif!!Then his gun jams /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif so i try to stop the thing and he was not stoping for nothing..At this point and time i was mad that we both missed our shots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif!!Thinking to my self lets just call it a night and head home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif..I got over that fast and said to my buddy screw it we both missed lets move on to another spot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.. He said sounds good..So we did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

2#set Got there did the same sounds as last set and nothing came out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif..

3#set Another new spot of mine,Same thing set my buddy up about 100 yards down wind of me..Works out good doing this.. So i start calling 2-3 mins and about 4-5 mins after that i here my buddy lip squeaking again i was like dam that was fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif..I look over and here come a fox right in to him..He stops him for the shot at 60 yards i get him in my scope and right as i did BANG!! He shoots and damit it is a miss again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif !!!At 60yards at that!!! All i said to him was "COYOTE FEVER" and i said no more to him..So i got on the KI-YI again and a little distress and nothing.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

4#set same thing as last..Got in to the distress 2-3 mins.. I here somthing behind me and coming in very sneaky..Turn around and there he is sitting 40 yards off to my left..I looked at him and he was looking for me that is for sure..He busted me barked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif once and ran about 20 yard to my right so i turned all the way around at this point and time with my gun ready to shot.. Hit the distress call soft and dam here he comes full bore at me so i shot BANG I got him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.. Were he feel i could not see him any more so about 3 min later i stand up and i here my buddy lip squeaking again my bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif..And he said there was a fox about 75yards from him and here i ran him off and he did not get a shot off dam..So i turn around to find my yote about 10 yards running like hell to the strip woods he did make it in there before i got my gun up..And the chace is on with no flash light "bla bla bla" did not find it lastnight..So today i went out there with my SnowJed yellow Lab named "Maggie" keep in mind she is only "6 mouths old". I found some blood by a coyote track and boom she picked up on it fast and we were off..With here noise to the ground she found blood trail for about 200yards or more and the yote trail went right to its Home dam that yote..And i told Maggie good job good job girl..So mybe i mite not only have a duck/goose dog mybe a yote dog also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif..My buddy and i think we mite go to the rifle range hahahaha and mybe invest in shooting stick or bypods ..END OF STORY:

Chris...

Going out tonight to hit it hard with "Phil" and mybe his freind "Todd" the winds are way down tonight should make for another nice cold night for calling some yotes or Fox in.. Hope it turns out better then lastnight thats for sure..Think tommorow me and "Huter00" are going to meet up and do some yote/Fox hunting together and see if we cant take a yote or two... Keep u posted... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Chris..

How does he do it. Phil got his second double this year. New Coyote looks you are getting some shooting in.Won't be long and you will double too.For me stayed at home last weekend hope to get out this coming weekend.

I and my buddy had lots of chance last night to kill 3 yotes and 2 fox but it did not happen that way do to Bad shots and a little COYOTE FEVER /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif but they are still there and hope that they give me another chance in the next few days...And as far as keeping up with Phil it will be awhile before that happens..But it is looking good so far.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Well we hit it last night at bout 1230am. First spot nada. Second spot, whipped out my new little call, don't even know the name but i got 3 tiny ones that were supposed to fit in your mouth, but they sound better if your blow them normal, anyway i call for about 5 min, hear a faint bark, thinking fox bark, call little more and then another 2 barks, now i know its a fox, it was behind us across the road, so i call a little bit more and stop, hear faint footsteps tell dad ones coming from behind, sure enough i look back there he was at 15yds, he stopped so i grabbed my gun had brown gloves and he sees that and comes to about 15 feet then he gets our wind and out like a shot, i just couldn't get him in the scope and get him, but at least we called one in, dad didnt figure they would be out with 25 below temps, but one was.

Finished up with one other set that nothing came and a couple locator trys but nothing. So maybe it was to cold, cousin's went out and they got nothing either. Did get a drive by tonight though. Two fox standing one the sidee of the road. Let me go 3 miles home and get the gun and everything, were only 50 yds from were i last saw them, got the male. the 204 didnt even blow him up at 120yds. Better then nothing. Hope to get out in the morning, as i am working tonight.

Called 3 spots last night two new spots this year. A little hard to see, it was cloudy most of the time and some dark areas in the fields. Nothing, called it quits at 2:30.
I used mostly coyotes sounds, with a few distress mixed in the middle. I really wish I would have got out more last week now, but most of my spots are dark, trying to call them into dug fields or uncut alfalfa.
The best part is that now it is finally snowing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

I had the same problems as Tka250 last night. Too little snow (bare spots)and covered moon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I called two spots. Got an answer on the first spot from well over a mile away but, nothing showed. Second spot, nothing.

Going out again tonight, with this fresh snow cover it should be easier to see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I just hope its not as cloudy.

Back