Misting

Al Prather, from the Foxpro field staff, uses urines on every stand, and possibly takes more eastern coyotes than any other recreational hunter I've heard about on a year to year basis, including a 58# animal. He even shoots more than Bill Martz.

Biggest mistake in my life moving to hickville. Used to live in S. Ca, then in Arizona.

Yes, we started the misting as we started the stand to check the wind (even when it felt as if it was dead calm). We too saw a very high percentage of yotes circle down wind when hunting at night.

The second we saw the coyote circling, we gave them anoher shot of 4 or 5 squirts on the bottle and might as well get the gun set up down wind.

You could talk about the animal counts we saw, but no one would believe it.

When I moved to Az, with all of it's close in calling, I had to learn to hunt all over again. Walking out making stands off the ground, coyotes circling in the thick cover, call too loud spooks them, smells spook them, competing coyotes spooks them, scent left by your boots spooks them.
We hunted the edges of the Popago off horse back, till the Indians started vandalizing our truck and horse trailer, I did not like the Cowboy and Indians thing at all.

Yeppers, hunting 8'-10' off the ground is the ticket. After I moved to Az. I also started hunting off a 6 ft fiberglass ladder, which helped a lot, except of the Pain in the A$$ carrying it to and from the truck. You can sure bust your A$$ falling off the top of a ladder trying to get a shot on a yote. A 12ga with 3" mag buckshot will kick you off the top of a ladder if you are not balanced just right. I learned in a hurry not to sit the ladder too close to a Barrel or Choya cactus.

Hunting coyotes off of gaited horses has to be the most fun that you can have with your clothes on. The horse will always spot the coyote before you do, just ride the horse 300 yds in the direction that the yotes came from and start calling. Since the yotes are not skiddish about the direction that they just traveled from, the whole bunch of them come charging in! Riding the horse gets you into a whole bunch of areas that are never hunted. We could cover 25 miles in a morning easy in virgin territory in areas with no roads at all. We would hunt the edges of parks and call the yotes off the parks, as you know, it is nothing to call yotes from 3/4-1 mile away...it just takes a little time for them to get there and nothing illegal about it. Something about riding that horse seemed to cover our scent, and the coyotes could never distinguish a man on a horse...all they saw was the horse.

Glad you got out of LA, alive.

Awww, I think I know who you are now Ackleyman lol. The reservation you speak of has billions of coyotes to the south of it, but it can't be hunted.

Years ago, like back in the 60's is when the two hunters from the Arizona Varmint Callers took 264 coyotes in 24 days of hunting on the reservation. They could do it legal back then, but not now.

You remember Granville? Him and I hunted Mexico right across the border from that reservation and killed 22 coyotes before the truck wouldn't run anymore. I think we could have killed in the 40s or so had we not had truck problems.

Who said Bill Martz? Is he not the guy that says his caller well out call any other callers on the market 5 to 1?

Quote:
Who said Bill Martz? Is he not the guy that says his caller well out call any other callers on the market 5 to 1?

HAHA! You're killing me Danny!

Quote:
Al Prather, from the Foxpro field staff, uses urines on every stand, and possibly takes more eastern coyotes than any other recreational hunter I've heard about on a year to year basis, including a 58# animal. He even shoots more than Bill Martz.

As John Wayne said to Paul Regret in the Comancheros, "Monsieur Nahuatl, you are a lulu! (lol) (rolf). Seriously, I'd quit pissing on every stand if the urologist would give me something to help out my urinary disfunctions.

Quote: I tried it 40 years ago and......um..........I hate to admit this, but I gave it a go again in the last two years too. I did it only trying to keep an open mind. unquote:

Thats abunch of B.S. and you know it. If you actually had tried misting you would'nt have such a negative attitude towards it. It may not be for everyone and it has its place but it does what it was intended to do if used properly.
Any trapper worth his salt will tell you how well urine works at a set , it has always been called the fear elimanator and works well on fox and coyotes...
When i used to trap i would mix glands with a gallon of urine and it would overload the targeted animals senses. Did they even have spray bottles 40 years ago???

Today Les Johnson, Tyler and Rich Higgins and myself called in 5 coyotes and 1 bobcat in the morning here in Arizona. 4 guys on stand and a lot of misting had all but two of the animals within 15-20 yards of us.

I am continually misting while calling coyotes for photos well within 10-20 foot range. Yesterday evenings photos had the coyote 100% downwind of me, 20' behind me for full 5 minutes with my back to him until he got the nerve to come out into the open for photos. I was misting heavily before and during the stand.

It makes no difference if people believe in misting. I prefer they don't practice it, especially the hunters in Arizona. Please, don't wear camouflage either. Wear a big white cowboy hat too if you can find one.

Quote:

Thats abunch of B.S. and you know it. If you actually had tried misting you would'nt have such a negative attitude towards it. It may not be for everyone and it has its place but it does what it was intended to do if used properly.

Good response Tim, Tell us of your experiences and the coyotes you have called and killed using misting.

You may not remember but i hunted with Rich H. when i was down in Az. Rich had a coyote stop only 2-3 yards from me... Like i also said i have used urine for trapping and it does the same as what Rich does with it. Different tech. same results.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
By the way we called in 8 or 9 coyotes in 4 hours and killed two. Rich was'nt carrying a gun that mourning, if he was the kill numbers would of been higher. No big deal i was just there to LEARN...

Last edited:
Yeah I remember you hunting with Rich. That is why I mentioned it. Just getting different first hand experiences on the subject. It helps those that have less vast experience in calling and killing coyotes learn from those of us that have been there and done that.

fun36.gif

Last edited:

It is comforting to know that there is more than one topic that is guaranteed to cause hate and discontent./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

i'm with weas. the sardines would plug up the spray bottles!! ( billy knows!!) i mist them with shotguns ! i mist them with rifles!! and i mist them with pistols!! lol i even mist them with my truck!! i put 4 film cans with skunk on each corner of the truck and my pard would rub a couple of cans of sardines all over the top of my truck for cats and we still killed a few!! lol some times you swear it works and other times nothing works! (1 film can per corner) lol killed them at 15 ft. while smoking a cigar and other times they ran at the second they got down wind?? ya just never know! when you figure them out, let me know!! after all these years, i'm just learning what works!! lmao!!

TA17rem, cross posting that kind of crap?? Pretty much seems like you're only trying to keep the pot stirred /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Poor leonard. He hasn't been able to post on PM since 2001. Who can we thank for that? Didn't he recently get banned/booted from the OPHA board? He seems like somewhat of an insecure individual.

I think Leonard made a good post and thats why i shared it here. The topic is on Misting and it seemed fitting to let the Mist master clear up a few things... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
To me it sounds like some sites don't want certain people to have the right of free speech. If not mistaken Leonard served our country same as me and we should be allowed to exercise that right.. We earned it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back