I Know, You Get What You Pay For But.......

Originally Posted By: Heretic
I meant can a scope be mounted to it?
smile.gif

It's driiled and tapped for scope mounts or iron sights.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeLooks like a waste of $119.00 to me.

So, do you think when I pull the trigger it will go bang? You don't think it will be accurate enough at 100 yards to hunt with? I haven't shot it yet but I think the last couple of post are just haters of cheaper guns. Not sure why though.

Anyway, time will tell. I will give you guys an accurate account on how it shoots. It will be a while before I get it to the range but when I do, I'll let everyone know for sure what it shoots like.

I guess for me it is the fact that I work to hard for my money to buy stuff I dont see as being top notch. I would rather go without for a while and save the money for what I really want and know is good before I would be willing to settle. That being said, I have about every roll I need filled in the gun department and now save to pick up the stuff I have always wanted and thought I couldnt afford. Not trying to be a hater, just giving my $0.02.

Well LW pretty much cover what I'd say....

You wanted a M700 and bought a lesser, way lesser grade CVA instead. You didn't save $$ you down graded.

Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMSI would rather go without for a while and save the money for what I really want and know is good before I would be willing to settle.

I didn't settle. I thought it was cool. All of my hunting guns are exaclty what I wanted with the exact scope that I wanted on them. I can afford to buy whatever I want, I just thought this was a cool little gun for next to nothing cost. If it don't shoot pretty decent, it will be down the road and I'll buy the 700. Time will tell.

A little known fact that most rifle manufacturers don't want us to know about is that, A deer isn't going to be more dead if you shot it with a 2000$ rifle, than if you shot it with a 100$ rifle.

Originally Posted By: zack blainA little known fact that most rifle manufacturers don't want us to know about is that, A deer isn't going to be more dead if you shot it with a 2000$ rifle, than if you shot it with a 100$ rifle.

thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: zack blainA little known fact that most rifle manufacturers don't want us to know about is that, A deer isn't going to be more dead if you shot it with a 2000$ rifle, than if you shot it with a 100$ rifle.

You read that on the "net" ?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOG......What do you think?

When you ask things like this, you will get many opinions.

Ever think some of us have been down the "cheap road" in the past ?

If you like it, that's all that matters. Hopefully it shoots.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: LUCKYDOG......What do you think?

When you ask things like this, you will get many opinions.

Ever think some of us have been down the "cheap road" in the past ?

If you like it, that's all that matters. Hopefully it shoots.

I have been down that road with Harrington & Richardson guns in the past. I was on a kick of buying them because they were so inexpensive and I felt like I was getting the deal of a lifetime. I could buy one for under $200 and have a bunch of cash left over to buy ammo, optics, electronics, camouflage, you name it. At one time I had a 12 ga. slug, .45-70, .17 HMR, .308 win, .410 shotgun and I few others that I can't remember off the top of my head. One day I opened my safe and realized how much valuable real estate was being consumed and I asked my self if it was better to have a bunch of "lesser quality" firearms or 2 or 3 "high quality" firearms... Needless to say, I sold them all for a lot less than I paid and realized at this time it was much better to "buy once, cry once." If you cannot afford to buy a higher quality firearm, then save your money until you can.. Don't just settle for something, you'll be glad you did later on. Just my though on it.. Best of luck to you.

About 20 years ago my buddy needed an inexpensive rifle for elk season so I talked him into getting a NEF Handi rifle in 45-70. Shooting that thing was like getting whacked in the shoulder with a baseball bat.

He was so low on cash at the time that he was using iron sights only. One morning he took a shot at an elk about 50 yards away. The shot went about 4 feet over the elks back. The elk just stood there so my buddy broke the action to chamber another round. When he brought the rifle up to fire again he watched he rear sight fall off the rifle into the knee high grass. By that time the elk took off. Apparently the rear sight had come loose before he fired the first shot and was just hanging on by a thread when it fell off
lol.gif

Last edited:

You just look better doing it with a $2000 rifle.

For those that hunt seriously... One has a LOT of time & money (not talking about equipment) tied up in those very few seconds that can be the chance of a lifetime. At that moment I don't want to "chance" anything. As much that CAN go wrong, I don't want something that I can control... to go wrong.

Not saying it wont work, but taking it to the range once before hunting season wouldn't do it for me. I'd spend a lot of time (investing a lot in a little) before I'd trust something like that. My buddy missed an opportunity at a really good deer with a similar rifle when it didn't go off when he pulled the trigger on cold morning after about 3 weeks of hunting with the rifle (loading/unloading, dirt/grime, condensation, bumping, condition changes, who knows what else). Had shot ~30+ flawless times prior... Just something to think about.

If bought just as a toy just to shoot a few pigs here or there, I can dig it… (And kudo's to you for giving them a sporting chance
grin.gif
)

Edit: If the box is any indication of research put into the rifle... Unbelievable!!!

Last edited:
Sorry bud, but I have a hard time even looking at that thing.

I learned long ago (the hard way) never to "skimp" on tools or firearms.

Hope it works out for you.......

Ya know, I can understand where you're coming from... Meaning both sides...

Personally, I don't have a use for a break action single shot rifle. But have I bought one on a lark (more than once)? Yup. They don't shoot great, but well enough for a little hunting. And for $120 that I wouldn't really miss, they were worth the fun, and I kept them in the truck and didn't feel bad about scratches.

I have a $300 Winchester 94 Trapper .30-30 that I bought for the same reason. Hate toggle link actions, don't really like the .30-30, but for the price, and the length, it was exactly what I wanted. It rode around behind the seat of my truck for years, and it still gets a few opportunity shots a year at coyotes or rabbits. I wanted a turd-gun, so I bought a turd-gun.

Got a single shot .410 Snake Charmer that used to live behind the seat of my truck too when I was working a lot in western KS. Worthless paperweight these days, but I shot the heck out of that lil thing for several years.

Got an SKS last year for $250 because I wanted to get another one (again) like one I had in high school. It's not accurate, it's ugly, and I have no use for it. Just a fun rifle.

They all fit in the safe, and I do end up shooting all (or at least most) of them over the course of a year.

But, I have a side-stream of disposable income that lets me blow a little money on worthless stuff from time to time, and I have better rifles to depend on when I need something more accurate.

I would NEVER recommend many of the weapons I own to a new shooter, and would ABSOLUTELY agree that if a guy is starting out (see my comments on PredatorOnPoint's recent posts), he's better served by not wasting his money on sub-standard gear, and rather than buying a "good enough" rifle, he should save that money towards a better rifle. But not everyone fits that paradigm.

Some would say the Encore is a better solution in a single shot(been throught multiple CF barrels myself and back to MZ platform only), or does it need to be a Ruger? A $1,000 bolt gun should shoot OK or is $5K needed? Can't see myself buying this CVA or a Savage Axis or Ruger American, but I've bought guns simply because they put a smile on my face and were fun to shoot.
Yes, I have a Hi-Point carbine in my sordid past...whew a great weight has been lifted.

Back