howling troubles

vortex, most of what you are saying does not make sense.

I have been doing this over 25 years and have seen a lot of things in 1000's of hours sitting on stands. What you don't see is coyotes getting their asses kicked by other coyotes. I have watched numerous coyotes on dead animals interact with each other and have never seen any [beeep] kicking going on.

Coyotes are cautious but curious, which is why howling works on any age animal. As for unnatural sounds on a stand, I have heard hundreds more coyotes howl than I have heard rabbits crying.

If as you say, coyotes are coming to a stand hours later to be educated, they would learn just as much going to a distress sound stand as they would to a vocals sound stand. I for one think it is a bit insulting to hear that most hunters would not know the difference between an aggressive howl and a non aggressive howl. It sounds like saying most people are too stupid to know the difference between talking and yelling. It really is not hard to distinguish between the two.

The proof is in the pudding. Coyote vocals work. 35 coyotes in 8 days hunting in December. All but a handful taken with vocals.

1932756_761093500641415_8749174407398762950_o.jpg

It also takes more than a target rich environment to kill coyotes. Otherwise everyone with a call in NM, NV, TX, OK, KS, SD, ND, MT and many other states, would be killing 100+ coyotes a year. But that isn't happening.

Originally Posted By: songdog No pressure and lots of coyotes, even an easterner can call and kill truck loads of coyotes.

OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! East of Michigan right??
blink.gif
blink.gif
tt2.gif

If you've been hunting 25+ years which for some reason is the new magic number in the years of predator hunting and you've never seen coyotes fight and display dominance and defend territory maybe you should geyour eyes checked or just calling in the retards. I've said it several times throughout this post but perhaps reading comprehension isn't your strong suit so here it is one more time I AGREE HOWLING WORKS. Did ya catch it that time? But it doesn't work more times than it works if a guy don't know what he's doing. You may or may not I don't know I've never hunted with you. For all I know you shoot them out of your truck and just repeat what you read on forums. But just going through playing random howls on your FoxPro until one works on every stand and 9 out of 10 times it won't doesn't make any sense. Educate yourself not the coyotes and learn what your doing other than just hoping for the magic sound.

Originally Posted By: vortexvarmintIf you've been hunting 25+ years which for some reason is the new magic number in the years of predator hunting and you've never seen coyotes fight and display dominance and defend territory maybe you should geyour eyes checked or just calling in the retards. I've said it several times throughout this post but perhaps reading comprehension isn't your strong suit so here it is one more time I AGREE HOWLING WORKS. Did ya catch it that time? But it doesn't work more times than it works if a guy don't know what he's doing. You may or may not I don't know I've never hunted with you. For all I know you shoot them out of your truck and just repeat what you read on forums. But just going through playing random howls on your FoxPro until one works on every stand and 9 out of 10 times it won't doesn't make any sense. Educate yourself not the coyotes and learn what your doing other than just hoping for the magic sound.

Please stop.

I learned what little I do know about coyote vocals from using them, having success and learned more from lack of success. to the newer guys reading this looking to learn vocals. go out there, listen to coyotes and try your best to mimic and not to blow stands but don't get down on yourself WHEN you do. The good Lord has found a way to use all things for HIS good. that's what you need to try to do take failure and turn it into success on the net stand

The information in this thread is just the kind of thing newbies are looking for from PM. It is also helpful to veteran callers who don't use coyote vocals.

We can all learn something from this thread, even if the lesson is don't crap in the sand box. When this happens, no one wants to play there anymore.

Whether you support howling or not, doesn't matter.

If you just want to insult someone with a different POV. then this is not the place for you.

Can we get this thread back on track.

I am very new to sight and calling yotes. I am glad there is such a dispute about howling and calling techniques because I'm sure you would all agree that you can not call one in every time. All the dialogue in this thread is educating all of us. I love it.
All the opinions in this thread is just like coyotes and there differences. Some will come to focalization a some won't. Coyotes are just like people. There all different and they all have different tendencys and opinions. Keep the banter going. It will eventually add something to all our calling arsenal. It may also educate Coyotes but it will also educate young and new callers going after these majestic animals!!! Thanks for all the post. Even if it ruffles some feathers.

For as long as I have been doing this coyote hunting thing I have found out there is no magic sound here or in the West. I will say that songdog knows what he is doing and I would set on a stand with him any day.

I am relatively new to coyote hunting, only a few years but I have learned a lot from this forum. I will say coyote vocals work when they work. This mourning I called in four yotes on vocals alone, so the hole late January thing is squashed but I tend to mix it up with vocals and distress sounds best I can. This mourning I used my FoxPro scorpion first started with a fem coy long howl and that got them going then answered back with fem yodel howls then fem challenge bark and here they came. when they got close I used a cotton coaxer and they just came right on in. I was told if they bark, bark back so I do what I have learned so far so good. This is the second time to use vocals I always just used distress sounds before but I am eager to learn as much as I can about vocals it really seems to work. I was able to get two of the four, I guess the other two are educated now or maybe not but my opinion is vocals work for me so far.

Quote:OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! East of Michigan right?? I was implying, that any easterner can come to Elizabeth, CO and stack'em high, since someone pointed out that I live in a target rich environment with little calling pressure. SO, mark it on your map, and yes, you and any other easterner that so wishes can come in here and kill a truck load any day of the week. Like I said, two behind every bush. On the stand where I killed the triple, there was only one 1 1/2 bushes over the hill from me.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: songdog On the stand where I killed the triple, there was only one 1 1/2 bushes over the hill from me.
smile.gif

TR, want I should come back east to meet you this summer and help you plant some more bushes?
laugh.gif

- DAA

more bushes = more coyotes, I'm sure. Bring a shovel. Oh but wait, then you'll be wanting to come shoot all the extra coyotes I suppose...oh heck, they are already thick so I suppose I could share a few with you, or maybe just let ya carry the camera and ask for a free copy of next years calendar.
thumbup.gif

I'm jealous. The country I hunt doesn't have bushes. Eaten down grass and a occasional tree. Still got a few coyotes around though.

Last edited:
Back