howling troubles

Now I only hand call but I always start my sets with a high pitched howl I want to make it seem like I'm a yoy intruding and then I'll do some distress but during breading season I'll do sets with all vocals get a good howler or some vocals on a e-caller and get out there and try some thing diffrent

I think of Kelly Jacksons sig line. Something along the lines of.. "Hunting Coyotes is not Chess, its more like Checkers, don't over think it"? Something of that nature anyway.

vortexvarmit you can't discredit vocals because they don't work for you. Vocals are one of the best calling techniques out there but there is a steep learning curve. They work on young and old, dominant or sub and during about 9 months of the year they will out perform distress sounds buy a landslide. The big key is learning when to talk and when to shut up.

I have had way more coyotes slip in silent in response to howls than having them howl back and then respond. I'd stay away from challenge howls unless you are answering a challenge howl. The breeding season is upon us, so coyote vocals like female submissive and female whimpers are good.

I read this thread last night but didn't respond. Today while coyote hunting in windy conditions, I spotted a coyote up wind over 1/2 mile away. I could tell by the way it was mousing that it had not heard my calling. I switched the foxpro to a long, loud howl just to get it's attention. As soon as she looked my way I switched back to a distress call and she couldn't get to me fast enough!

As has already been stated, howling works! I almost always howl on a stand. Very rarely do I not howl. The trick is figuring out what works and when. I have a Rich Cronk howler that's fantastic for a non-threatening long lonesome howl. I've lost track of how many coyotes I've killed using his howler but it's in the hundreds!

I kill coyotes with vocals but years ago before I ever knew what a forum was I thought I'd try some vocals. I bought me some howlers and blew on them and played the few I had on an recall and only ever had one coyote respond to a vocal. Way worse odds than I had with my distress sounds. Then I started listening to coyotes talking to guys that knew how to explain vocals and my success with vocals went up. They aren't the magic bullet that you all present them as and they sure ain't if your saying the wrong thing. Yes vocals work but encouraging people to just play all the sounds on their calls is just kinda foolish. Maybe y'all like hunting coyotes that sit back and warning bark all day but I don't care much for it and that's exactly what your promoting. Kinda like telling a guy to just start loosening stuff til he gets the oil drained out of his truck. Sure he will eventually get it but all he's done is made a bigger mess in the process that's gonna cause him and a mechanic a real headache to get it fixed.

I guess you're of belief that a coyote that hears calling and doesn't go to the source, learned something from that? If so, just what does a coyote that hears calls and doesn't go to them, learn? Has he been educated? How so?
It's been said that a coyote could go to the spot where the sounds came from some time later, maybe so, but I'll bet it's a darn few that do, and even then, what did they really learn?
IMO, the only coyote that a guy messes up when trying new sounds, is the coyote that came, saw, smelled, and/or got shot at. Even then, it's not like he's learned every trick in the book.
So a guy tries some new sounds and messes up a few, it's not like it's YOUR coyotes, so what should it matter.

+1 songdog. i have blown stands and gone back the next day....or just HOURS later and killed. i will say that i do not generally do a lot of coyote vocals because i don't understand them as well as i want to and i don't have eough coyotes out this way to screw stands up. but this year i will be trying my hand at it

I had a 'conversation' with a coyote a few years back that taught ma a real lesson on howling. Not being an expert with the howler, very passable, but, no expert, I got this 'yote started and we just blabbed away at each other for an hour. He/she never closed the gap(1/2 mile) but sure got to know each other. And, if you think you can screw up on a howler? That coyote said some things that I have never heard before. Sounded like h/she wanted back into the family fold(late fall calling). Since then I have been convinced more than once there is no such thing as bad howling; just depends on the circumstances. JMHO

Originally Posted By: songdogI guess you're of belief that a coyote that hears calling and doesn't go to the source, learned something from that?

i dont think a coyote that hears but dont come learned anything but on the other hand maybe the coyote that hears calling and doesnt go to it went to somebody calling 2 days earlier and the man doing the calling shot at it 30 times with a ar15 and missed every shot. maybe learned 2 days earlier. who knows.

Pay attention to Mike Granger's post above. The key is long, non threatening howls. Rich Cronk made some howlers that were great for that purpose. He made me a small buffalo horn howler that is freaky loud for its size, and it is voiced about like Mike describes. Coyotes are never scared by a non threatening howl. They still might not howl back and they may not come to the howl. There are many factors involved in that behavior.

I think most people give coyotes to much credit but for the sake of not starting a long debate I'll not say much about it. Basically a coyote lives by instincts. They learn from positive negative and neutral actions. If a coyote hears all that unnatural crap 9 outta 10 times it will hang up wait til you leave then come investigate hours later and k ow something wasn't right and in the future be more apt to hang up or attempt to wind the sound source. What y'all are not getting is I'm not saying vocals don't work. I'm just saying one needs to understand them to use them effectively and that just telling someone to play vocals just makes no sense.
I agree with possumal in you generally can't go wrong with non aggressive howls. With that being said most guys don't know the difference in aggressive and non aggressive howls. I firmly believe though that young coyotes will often leave the immediate area when they hear howls. They don't wz t their buts kicked which is what they encounter on a normal regular basis once they are dispersed and on their own.
I'm not saying y'all are 100% wrong just not 100% right.
Some people don't have thousands of acres and large coyote populations yo themselves. Some do. Generally the guys that do don't have a problem giving out sub par advice.

I don't recall saying he's wrong or that he didn't know his stuff. I mean he killed three in a coyote rich environment so there's no doubt he's a pro. Just kidding. I'm done enjoy yourselves

Quote:Some people don't have thousands of acres and large coyote populations yo themselves. Some do. Generally the guys that do don't have a problem giving out sub par advice. And your excuse is what?
rolleyes.gif

After you were able to tell that I hunt target rich environment by just looking at a pic. of 3 dead coyotes and a little bit of terrain in the back ground, I figured you as a pro. Figured you could tell the sex of those three too, or can you only do that when they are still alive, like so many guys can? Maybe even tell me what vocals they probably came to this time of year?
Maybe I should be asking you for your autograph. Especially if you can sex those three...

Actually, I just get lucky every now and then because there are two coyotes behind every bush in eastern Colo. It's every mans wish to hunt out there where the pickins' just don't get any easier. No pressure and lots of coyotes, even an easterner can call and kill truck loads of coyotes.

Last edited:
I'd guess two males and a female. Your location gave it away. But ya its a lot easier there just because there are more coyotes and less pressure. With all the random vocals you use there's no way to pinpoint which vocal. Lots of triples are killed with just rabbit or quads with just bird and what not. But you keep playing every sound on your call it looks like it works.

Back