How long have you hunted predators?

I just saw this,
21 years, starting from my first yote called in, and killed alone.
I don't think running dogs with family members as a little kid, was actually hunting.(although I did learn alot, and were I got my start) Duane

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuI just saw this,
21 years, starting from my first yote called in, and killed alone.
I don't think running dogs with family members as a little kid, was actually hunting.(although I did learn alot, and were I got my start) Duane

Duane,
After reading your post & my original post, and pondering on it...in a way I can see the point you were making & can relate to it.
wink.gif
cool.gif

So...
grin.gif
I'm going to more accurately account for my 38 years of hunting:
Although I've been specifically after coyotes for 38 years...
I didn't start using calls until Dec. 1995, so, I've been CALLING them for 15 years.
smile.gif

And I'm just as crazy & obsessed as ever!
crazy.gif

I started hunting coyotes in late October of 2009; so a little over a year for me. This site kinda got me started and has helped me a lot. I forget how I found the site exactly; but it was by accident. I had no interest in coyote hunting at the time. Was getting back into deer hunting with my dad, we missed the 2009 season; and had planned on scouting throughout 2010. Then I found out about coyote hunting and figured "WHY SCOUT"; when we can hunt? Well, 2010 deer season came along and we skipped it on purpose. LOL Now I just want to coyote hunt. More fun IMO; even though it has not been easy. I thought it would be a piece of cake and after a few trips; I realized it's not. Kinda funny!

I have not had the time to go as much as I would like; but I enjoy every time I get to go out. I like the challenge and learning something new. The highlight of my coyote hunting so far was when I called in four coyotes in the first three stands of the morning. I missed two and my dad missed one! We shot ZERO that day and have yet to shoot any. It will happen! More time in the field would be nice! LOL

Cool post! Nice to see some of the "old timers" that have been doing it a long time.

Arden

I started hunting em for pelts in about '85 I believe. Worked on a ranch, in the winter we only worked an hour a day. I needed something to help with paying my rent!!

My wifes brother took me calling for the first time in either '85 or '86. That's about 25 years now. She's beginning to soften a little and may forgive him soon. Dale

Older neighbor boys(brothers) took me out with a Johnny Stewart D cell tape caller a 2D cell flashlite with a red magic marker lense and an HR 12 ga in 1982. We killed 3 reds that nite I have been doin' it ever since.

ps. Thanks Brett and Bart.

Last edited:
Had to do the math but it has been 49 years for me with many more years to go. Coyotes have been the funnest animal overall that I have hunted.

First blew a call in 1995 and been at it since. Got very serious about it from 2005-2008. I've been on less than 10 stands since.

I just started my 35th year of calling and trapping critters. Even still have and use on occassion my first Burnham Brothers call along with the cassette tape that came with it. Don't use the tape any more;-)
Called them with mouth calls and electronic calls, trapped them with footholds, snares, conis and cage traps. Even played with dead falls many years ago.
One thing I've never accomplished is putting a bobcat in a cage trap Trying to do that now.

I've been hunting them as long as I can remember, probably 25 years more or less.

I've only been calling them for the last 5 or 6.

Nate

Back