Home defense

Notimer has a great point. I am a good hearted person. And when I was 21-22 I beat a guy within an inch of his life. Yes it was a fair fight he was much taller than I. When I got the best of him, I couldn't stop beating him. Finally I was pulled of of him. He spent two weeks in the hospital. Why I never went to jail for this I'll never know. His parents wanted me prosecuted, but it never happend. I guess cause he started it. I still think about this and feel bad about what happend to this very day. This guy did not deserve this. I sometimes think I'd like to find this man and apologize. My point is fighting is serious business and should be avoided whenever possible. But if someone has the nerve to come into my home uninvited intent on doing harm, I'm going to do my level best to put a bullet in him. Grizz

I don't have time to go hand to hand with kids in the house. I will disable the attacker or attackers as quickly as possible. I want to be at a tactical advantage at all times. I am in shape (run 4 miles a day) and have had training in hand to hand. But still I carry at ALL times. Have a 357 sig where I can get to it at night and GOOD flashlight. (same place every time) Cause when the adrenaline starts and under high stress its all about muscle memory.

Ever hear of the old saying, "You dont bring a knife to a gun fight"? Well I would take it even farther, "You dont bring your hands or feet to either"! Seriously, I am all for a good scrap, but if I feel like my life is in danger then all bets are off! Same goes for any individual that breaks into my house especially if my family is at home! Oh, the police will be called alright, to come and take out the trash! And no, I dont WANT to kill anyone!

I recently locked up all my self defence weapons and purchased some baggy sweat pants... No one wants a round house kick to the head when I'm wearing those bad boys!
wink.gif

It probably just me, but, I would never post on a public forum that I plan on killing someone who enters my house. I will protect my family, leave it at that. To say, prior to a possible event, that you will kill someone is a prosecutors dream.

Well anyone can be a tough guy when armed. I ask you all, what would you do, if you were caught/confronted un-armed by an armed intruder. Give-up? or attack?

Honestly? That's a stupid question.

Exactly how many people do you think are going to say they'll give up? I mean, really, think about it.

Originally Posted By: duckdogHonestly? That's a stupid question.

Exactly how many people do you think are going to say they'll give up? I mean, really, think about it.

"stupid" really? Give it some honest thought.

It would be interesting to have a poll. On everyone who protects their home or person with a firearm. As to whether they know how to fight [hand to hand] if need be. Those who don't know how to fight[or have never fought]. Are no doubt limited in their experience/ability, as to defending their homested. Let alone their self. Without the use of a weapon.

im not exactly a big guy, but i can hold my own pretty well. i've taken on guys a head taller than me at school and walked awy fine. but if someone tried to enter my house at night, i have my 12 guage next to my bed and a semi auto 22 in my gun rack with 14 rounds in the magazine. i dont want to take any chances when it comes to my own life or that of any one of my family members. when you step onto my property without permission and with ill intent, lethal force is not out of the question.

A hand to hand fight with someone you know at school, work or whereever is totally different than defending ones home and family. Anyone who has fought for their life can tell you it is a whole other ball game. Adrenaline pumping, tunnel vision, loss of fine motor skills, heart rate in extreme high rate, loss of hearing. Its called fight or flight.
That is why you must train with that firearm often and properly, so when all that is going you revert back to your training. The same thing goes with hand to hand fighting skills. The simple fact is a fight is never pretty and usually never goes right even with good training.
When it comes to defending ones home and family from an intruder who has entered, first option should be a firearm. If you dont have one available then use anything and everything, including hand to hand.

Originally Posted By: Jeff270It probably just me, but, I would never post on a public forum that I plan on killing someone who enters my house. I will protect my family, leave it at that. To say, prior to a possible event, that you will kill someone is a prosecutors dream.

Very true, people need to be aware that these posts could be used against them if something would happen. Same goes for signs, shirts & pumper stickers talking about shooting people. Even the type of gun you use to defend yourself, can play into it. First and foremost, people need to know their state laws, as some are very clear and others not so much.

That maybe so, but there are many anti-gun prosecutors out there in some very anti-gun places. Some would love nothing more then to make an example out of a "gun owner". That's why talking about killing people and how much someone likes to fight, on a public forum is foolish!

What are the laws in your guys' states for shooting an intruder? I know it would be a day and night difference between texas and ny.

Kirby, Hey man I totaly understand alot of what your saying But there are two differnt ways i look at it.Fighting is always been ok with me because when I turn 18 uncle sam and the USMC made sure I could take care of my self.But like everything else there is a time for hand to hand and a time to take care of businss with what ever it takes.Years a go home invasion didnt really worry me.But 2 1/2 years ago my wife and god gave me the greatest gift of all my butiful little boy and that changed things.SO now if someone is dumb enough to enter my home in my opinon they do not have any regards for me or my family.So I dont care about there life.Its in gods hands then.But I honestly do respect your opinon.And respect your way of thinking.

Originally Posted By: sandhillshunter"Why face an attacker on a level playing field when you have the opportunity to prepare in advance?"

Well said HB71! It's about the only smart thing I've seen posted on this topic so far! To me, home defense is so much more then; hand fighting vs gun. While BOTH are definitely a part of the overall game plan, their just a small part of it. If you have to hand fight someone, then you have a major flaw in your "home defense". At the sametime, just relying on the 45 under the bed is also equally flawed. A secure home is not easy or cheap, but my family is worth it!

This is exactly my point. In a home defense situation, why would you want to fight an opponent on an unknown playing field? If someone breaks into your home, my theroy is to do everything possible to tip the playing field against the enemy and in my favor. That certainly doesn't include limiting my weapon options to hand to hand combat only.

Fair fights are for fools. I've seen a couple of college jocks and other bar-room tough guys find this out the hard way. Sooner or later they find themselves getting their asses kicked and kicked hard by a guy who doesn't abide by thier theories of fair fighting.

I would think a burgler would be the same way, but you have to be prepared for anything. What if 3 of 4 methheads get together and decide to break into some houses? No matter how good you think you are fighting with your hands, I don't like those odds.

Far and away the best home defense is strong doors and windows and good locks that are kept locked! The longer it takes a bad guy to actually get inside, the better your chances are of making his stay an unpleasant one.

The next line of defense is the ability to light up the house like a football stadium and make a lot of noise. Home invaders want victims that are cowering, quiet, and weak. Not ones that light up the whole house and make lots of noise that gathers attention.

The next thing is an immediate call to 911. Again, the first instinct of even a crack or methhead who knows that the police are on the way is going to be to run. They are now facing an opponent who knows they are there, who has lit up the house and made a lot of noise, and who has called for backup. Even a moron can see that the deck in now stacked heavily against a successful robbery.

Finally, it doesn't matter if you have a gun or not. Yelling, "I've got a gun, leave NOW!" will get even a total idiot to turn tail and run. No robber wants to face a well-armed adversary who has an unknown, but fixed and defensible position, and who is also aware and alerted to a pending attack on his position. Even a retard or a crack head will understand that the homeowner has turned the home invasion/robbery into a suicide mission for the robber. Again, only a fool fights fairly.

Beyond that, what weapons you choose are up to you and your individual situation.

Grouse

Back