Home defense

kirby

Well not long ago, a post remarked of owning/using a firearm for home defence. Basically the thread was discussing pistol's ect. I remarked of useing my hands & feet, as my primary weapon.

Reason why, some might ponder. Is I know how to fight. Fight very well I might add. I also can take a pounding & keep on going. Reason for useing my hands & feet. Is they are readily available & I tend not to miss. Et I'm quite accurate with both. A person man or woman, who has experience in "hand to hand" combat. Does not tend to lack confidense. I sure as heck don't.

Do I own firearms, uh well yes. But to easy to miss in the heat of the moment in the darkeness? In my younger days, I fought plenty of jerks & bully's. No big whoop.

Last edited:
I have a good bit of experience when it comes to fighting myself. One thing I have learned through my years is... Never, Ever, bring hands & feet to a gun fight ;-) This holds true to knife fights, baseball fights, crowbar fights, etc... etc...

So you have an armed bad guy 20 feet away & you plan to take him out with hands & feet? He's also ready to use the gun.

Kirby,
All I can say is "you better come down off your macho high horse and do some serious rethinking" Not a smart plan with the hands and feet for self defense. Not being smart with you, just stating facts.

Originally Posted By: peterjcKirby,
All I can say is "you better come down off your macho high horse and do some serious rethinking" Not a smart plan with the hands and feet for self defense. Not being smart with you, just stating facts.
+1 best for the home,20 ga,sawed off,Make's a mess in close quarters

In past years I loved to fight...I'd welcome confrontation wherever I could find it. I've since changed the way I view life and myself. However in regards to the topic of home defense I will say this:
If someome enters my home unwelcomed at anytime day or night with intent to do me harm in anyway or steal my property I will protect myself with the highest level of protection I have available to me at the present time which will always be a firearm. I carry concealed 24/7, I sleep with a Kimber under the edge of the bed, a 12ga next to the night stand, and several other guns hidden throughout the house. Now, I realize that this level of protection is not an option to all people since many will have kids in the house and cannot leave firearms so easily accessible.

I've had my home broke into and I've also been a visitor at a home that was broken into while I was there. I'll never be unprepared again.

Originally Posted By: peterjcKirby,

I agree. You can't fight forever. One day you will find your back aching or your hip, and you'll wake up to the realization you have finally turned old like the rest of us. Like you, I was a fighter. Being Irish, and arrogant, I solved every problem with my fists. I thought I was indestructable until I was 50.

Kirby, listen to Pete. The Darwin Awards is full of people who believed they were going to be okay.

Originally Posted By: HiggyOriginally Posted By: peterjcKirby,

I agree. You can't fight forever. One day you will find your back aching or your hip, and you'll wake up to the realization you have finally turned old like the rest of us. Like you, I was a fighter. Being Irish, and arrogant, I solved every problem with my fists. I thought I was indestructable until I was 50.

Kirby, listen to Pete. The Darwin Awards is full of people who believed they were going to be okay.

Agreed, I'm not afraid of a fight but realistically how about an attacker with a knife, a gun and HIV from his drug habit? How about 3 attackers armed or unarmed I'd rather have the option of a well armed response.

a gun is my first choice bt what if they come in and i dont know it and i cant get to a gun your hands and feet comes in the action

Most burgulars want an unoccupied home to rob.Gangs will break in with any number of scumbags(home invasion).Your asleep,it's 3AM.they jimmy your window and enter your bedroom with pipes and knives.Your under the covers,your feet are covered.I sleep well,but I hear my bedroom door open.My gun is closer to my hand than my feet.I have it leveled at them.Hmmmmm,maybe I should add a 12ga autoloader w/extended magazine.Good luck in your fight.

Well in a perfect World, we all would be totally alert, & prepared if/when a would be attacker/scumbag, whatever. Broke into our house to do, whatever. Whether daylight or darkness. Does not matter to me.

What I'm getting at. Maybe I wouldn't have access to a loaded firearm "instantly". Point being, I'm not waiting, whether the scumbag is armed to the hilt or not. Darwin or no Darwin, the confrontation will be swift with full predjudice on my part.

a 40 on my nightstand and a 12 gauge on the other side of the bed, always ready to go. I pity the dirtbags that try to home envade me.

Last edited:
TScott gave you very good advice - dont bring hands, feet or even a knife to a gun fight... LEO has taught the 21 foot rule for many years - within those 7 yards, they have been trained and WILL shoot you. Bad guys arent usually trained at anything, so they do not know the danger they put themselves in if they cross the line

Well now, say a scumbag[or two] gets the drop on you in your warm & fuzzy well armed home. You are not armed. What ya gonna do, beg for mercy & whimper because you are now an un-armed VICTIM?

Not me, TORA...TORA...TORA

Nothing wrong with a good fight to settle differences. However, fighting as home protection doesn't make much sense. I understand that if you wake up in the grip of some scumbag, a fight is going to be a matter of survival. Nothing will fatigue a person quicker than a fight for your life. The scumbag may well be high on crack or meth and have the advantage of stimulants in their system. I just urge you to think carefully about your plans to defend yourself. Why face an attacker on a level playing field when you have the opportunity to prepare in advance?

what im saying if i got time to get to a gun then iam going to but what if they got ahold of you before you can get a gun your hands is better then nothing .. i have a gun close eought it would onky take me a second or two to get it

Back