Home defense

Kirby, Not to be rude but you seem quite cocky. I have learned in my past experiences the cocky guys always end up falling hard.

I personally sleep with a pistol right under my bed. My room is up stairs and I lock my bedroom door. I am sure that I will wake up before the suspect comes thru my bedroom door. Now, once he comes thru the door..why in gods name would I run up to him and tackle him and start punching him when I can simply reach under my bed and hold him at gun point?

Now if I don't have the option to use a firearm am I going to use just my hands and feet? Of course, who wouldn't? I honestly don't know anyone who would just stand there while someone is robbing them.

Originally Posted By: kirbyWell in a perfect World, we all would be totally alert, & prepared if/when a would be attacker/scumbag, whatever. Broke into our house to do, whatever. Whether daylight or darkness. Does not matter to me.

What I'm getting at. Maybe I wouldn't have access to a loaded firearm "instantly". Point being, I'm not waiting, whether the scumbag is armed to the hilt or not. Darwin or no Darwin, the confrontation will be swift with full predjudice on my part.
Well yeah. You have to do whatever it takes.

I'm all in favor of the concept that, if immediately threatened and there is no other recourse, then use anything you can to win....

But over the years, I've settled enough bar fights and family disturbances to know that the last weapon you need to use is your fist...even an elbow is much better...I've seen the effects that an infection from a fist being cut by an opponent's tooth can bring on...

We used to carry a five cell flashlight, even in the daytime, because they were less threatening than a nightstick, but just as effective in close quarters...even a ball point pen can be lethal...if you know how to use it effectively..

The 7 yard (21 foot) rule is very valid, even when applied against an armed officer that is expecting the attack...if the opponent is a trained knife fighter, the officer had better be over 10 yards...

Your only advantage in a Home Invasion situation, is that you know where everything is located and your 'invader' doesn't and will depend on immediate intimidation to exercise control over you...how you respond will be what keeps you and your family safe and unharmed, so hopefully, you and your family have a plan, in that event....

Hopefully, it will never be a reality..

Originally Posted By: bigwheeler I guess you haven't hit anyone hard enough to break your hand yet?
I did once. But the Puerto Rican I hit was not able to eat well for a few weeks, Grizz.

thatguy, Nope not cocky...confident in my abilities. There is a big difference. I've spent the last 28yrs of my life in Fire/EMS & Rescue. I've seen quite abit of evil in my time. Shootings, stabbings & beatings.

I'm totally willing to meet evil with evil, anytime. Does not matter to me one bit, if I don't have the upper hand. I'm going down fighting like a buzz-saw. Win or loose.

Thats good your confident Kirby, nothing wrong with that. I allways thought fighting envolved a good deal of psychology along with physical ability anyway. Hey, where is coyoteville? Grizz

"Why face an attacker on a level playing field when you have the opportunity to prepare in advance?"

Well said HB71! It's about the only smart thing I've seen posted on this topic so far! To me, home defense is so much more then; hand fighting vs gun. While BOTH are definitely a part of the overall game plan, their just a small part of it. If you have to hand fight someone, then you have a major flaw in your "home defense". At the sametime, just relying on the 45 under the bed is also equally flawed. A secure home is not easy or cheap, but my family is worth it!

Last edited:
45 is my weapon of choice within easy reach from our bed. Kimber ultra carry with Crimson trace and night sights, loaded with black talons, Grizz

For home defense my older brother has the perfect weapon. Double barrel shotgun with the barrels cut down to the shortest legal length loaded with bird shot. Bird shot won't go through most walls so you don't have to worry about anyone in the next room getting hit. Has a laser pointer on it as well. Inside a house it will change someone's mind in a hurry about bad intentions.

I have been around enough to know that there is someone out there who is tougher than me I just haven't met them yet neither have you but they are there. It all depends on the day and how it plays out.

Well, when my pair of 120 lb rotties are done chewing on them, which by the way will make plenty of racket, and i'll be very awake, and i'll clean up with any number of weapons, if need be.
Always had alot of guns close at hand in the house,pistols and such, but I gotta say, it sure would be fun to tazer the [beeep] out of somebody that has it coming.
Dogs are the best though. Good ones will buy you enough time to do what you gotta do. Love my rotties!!!
OTF

The perfect combination! I have the same pair and have a flashlight/lazer combo on both. Just remember three things.... forget the pity part, "I was in fear of my life and that of my family" AND dead men tell no lies!

I keep working out just in case, but I have to admit...I'm lazy and keep some buckshot close by. My dog is to small to do any damage but she will wake me up no problem.
smile.gif
Either way they wont be asking for an attorney if i can help it!

Originally Posted By: bigwheeler Kirby, I guess you haven't hit anyone hard enough to break your hand yet?

I haven't ever done that, but I screwed up a guy's fist really bad with my chin one time. I'll bet he ain't got the nerve to try that crap again.
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: kirbyWell not long ago, a post remarked of owning/using a firearm for home defence. Basically the thread was discussing pistol's ect. I remarked of useing my hands & feet, as my primary weapon.

Reason why, some might ponder. Is I know how to fight. Fight very well I might add. I also can take a pounding & keep on going. Reason for useing my hands & feet. Is they are readily available & I tend not to miss. Et I'm quite accurate with both. A person man or woman, who has experience in "hand to hand" combat. Does not tend to lack confidense. I sure as heck don't.

Do I own firearms, uh well yes. But to easy to miss in the heat of the moment in the darkeness? In my younger days, I fought plenty of jerks & bully's. No big whoop.

I was going to explain how silly that is but why bother?

Originally Posted By: kskinnerFor home defense my older brother has the perfect weapon. Double barrel shotgun with the barrels cut down to the shortest legal length loaded with bird shot. Bird shot won't go through most walls so you don't have to worry about anyone in the next room getting hit. Has a laser pointer on it as well. Inside a house it will change someone's mind in a hurry about bad intentions.

Absolutely right! I have a M870 Remington loaded with #8's. At 30' they are incredible and don't penetrate walls as said here.

Well now, say a scumbag[or two] gets the drop on you in your warm & fuzzy well armed home. You are not armed. What ya gonna do, beg for mercy & whimper because you are now an un-armed VICTIM? Or do you attack?

I'd like to hear your guy's comments of my above scenario.

bigwheeler, I've hit them as hard as I can. Never hurt my fist.

I am never more than 20' from a loaded firearm in my house. With two very alert dogs, nobody gets within 50' of a door or window without them going wild.

In fact, right now at my computer, I have a loaded M66 S&W 357 on a shelf just 2' behind me.

If the sum-buck should get into the house, the dogs will slow him/her down long enough to where I can get to armament.

And if that all fails, I'll whip out my pocket knife and go on the attack!

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

OK...I am surprised in my home and mr. crackhead has the drop on me. I am very conciliatory and deferential and try to cooperate with the individual. However, mr. crackhead had better be extremely vigilant. I have weapons cached in every room of my house. At the moment of my choosing, I am certainly going for one of my guns. I have very specific security precautions to prevent mr. crackhead from gaining acces to my home and surprising me. However, should these measures be defeated, or I am attacked by someone who I have let into my domecile, I have numerous other options that I have planned ahead. By all means fight like a crazy man if that is your only option. I try to plan ahead for these scenarios and am very confident that I will prevail in a battle in my own home.

Kirby brings some interesting points.....yes we should all
be vigil, alert, and in shape,. and we should know and
practic some self defence....problably never see a burglar
at least not my neck of the woods, but you never know....
Also you can't always be cocked locked and ready to
rock doc if you know what I mean......
This may be up Kirbys alley....
I think Bruce Lee taught that the fight is in us
already (that killer instinc)...it should come to you in a
life or death situation.example why fight with a perp when
you can claw his eyes out and end it, or crush his wind
pipe....I've done damage to people in my younger years
got in plenty of trouble.....It's not good......anyways
If you hurt someone bad and your a goodhearted person
it bothers you I couldn't immage what it would feel
like to fataly injure someone, but I guess better him
than my family....
Yeah I guess self defence would work sometimes......
but the only time this might not work is if he
enters your house with a gun and an intent to do harm...
That's a whole new ball game..Time to look at home security
and a warning system.....but as it stands right now I have
more problems with wild life destroying personal property
tearing up my yard heck I even had a bear that though my
outside propane tanks were food.....shoot I kinda live
like Bob lee Swaggard if you know what I mean.....
Something to kick around anyways.......Thanks.....

Back