Great RED LED Long Range Weapon Mount Light Setup

Glad to hear that you are enjoying that high quality tactical torch mikebosmans, it is a major torch for sure!

When light from all parts of the visible spectrum overlap one another, the additive mixture of colors appears white to your eye. However, your eye does not require a mixture of all the colors of the spectrum to perceive white light. Primary colors from the upper, middle, and lower parts of the spectrum (red, green, and blue), when combined, appear white.

The reason the white CREE XML LED in the Olight M3-X (or any other white led light for that matter) not putting out much from the ground glass red filter is that the filter is blocking all the other lightwaves put out by the LED except the red wavelength. White LEDs as a rule do not put out much in the red wavelength range. So with the red filter you are blocking the majority of the light output from the LED.

They DO put out quite a bit of green wavelengths however as you can easily see!

Each different white LED of different BIN number puts out different specific light wavelengths, each LED is going to be different, but basically most are weak in the red wavelengths.

If you need a dedicated red beam, it is best to use a red led light like the KLR-250 or the Olight M-20 Crimson that puts out primarily red wavelengths only.

Sure hope my new NV gear works as well as my Olight M3-X Green LED does @ 225 yards!

Woods%20Green%20Boar%202.jpg

Green%20Boar%201.jpg

I had just setup for coyotes about 7:30PM in pitch darkness, no stars as there was a big storm coming up over us. Turned on my PB caller and did a couple of domain calls as there was a lone coyote male howling like mad out behind the house the night before at this time and I thought he'd probably be back again.

No sooner did five minutes pass and a herd of hogs came out of the woods into my little prairie opening.

Turned on the Olight M3-X with green filter and put the crosshairs of my Leopold VR-X 1-4 Pig Plex FireDot on his shoulder and pulled the SIG 556 trigger.

At 225 yards I could hear a nice THWAK when the bullet hit him and put him down, walked out and he started to get up so I shot him again in the head and he was DRT.

It was a big 325 pound boar hog. There were quite a few more that size or bigger in the group.

Sky Pup...nice shooting.

You are very fortunate to have land open enough to shoot hogs at that distance. I only have a 100 acre plot to hunt that has hogs, and we had to cut a 50 yard clearing in thick woods and pull them in from a river swamp with corn.

Your long range light setup seems to work so well I am curious as to why you are looking for a long range night vision setup? I would take that money and buy an AR10 in .308 to put those big boars down hard.

Originally Posted By: Gman757Sky Pup...nice shooting.

You are very fortunate to have land open enough to shoot hogs at that distance. I only have a 100 acre plot to hunt that has hogs, and we had to cut a 50 yard clearing in thick woods and pull them in from a river swamp with corn.

Your long range light setup seems to work so well I am curious as to why you are looking for a long range night vision setup? I would take that money and buy an AR10 in .308 to put those big boars down hard.

We just got the bid to perform Hog and Coyote Control on a State Wildlife Refuge that is 5 miles from our ranch, 22,000 acres of almost all open overgrown prairie filled with alligators, hogs, deer, bison, coons, waterfowl, etc. (quite similar to our 2,000 acre property in topography).

Had to set up a private LLC corp and get insurance (pretty difficult getting liability insurance). We have a five year exclusive contract for vermin control and should be allot of hard work and hardcore fun.

The wife actually did not have a problem with the expensive NV gear as she knows that we love to hunt! Besides, being out in an almost 22,000 acre environment on foot, ATVs, and trucks it will be easy to get lost without NV and GPS equipment.

You are right about the 7.62X54mm , I have looked long and hard at some (and I already have a couple of 7mm Rem Mag rifles) but I just don't want another round to reload. One may be in my future once I find out what it is like out on the State Wildlife Reserve though.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/history/parkhistory.cfm?parkid=81

It is all good...
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like a perfect setup.

A little off subject but you mentioned using a GPS for location monitoring. I have found that my iPad 2 is great for that when I'm in my truck. I used it to mark stands on a lease I hunted last year.

There is an App called Gaia GPS that will let you see your position on topo or satellite overlays in Florida. (USGS topo, Florida LABINS, or Google satellite overlays)

You can also install Google earth on the iPad, then use Google earth on your home computer and drop pins for reference points. Email the reference points to your iPad in .kml format (not .kmz). When you select the .kml attachment on your iPad email it will ask if you want to open in Google earth. The pin reference points will then be transposed onto the Google earth app on the iPad.

Works on iPhone too for ATV.

Last edited:
Thanks for that nice tip on the I-Phone GPS!

I've got three Garmin GPSMAP62 units that I use outdoors for hunting.

The Garmin 24K USGS Topo Map for the SouthEast USA is loaded in each of them.

Also, the free Garmin download for your home computer, BaseCamp, is outstanding to interface with the mobile units. It has both the 24K and 100K Topo Maps. It also has the "BirdsEye" Google Earth download for aerial photos too.

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/basecamp

The only problem with the I-Phone for me is quite often we have no cell coverage.....Ocala National Forest has little to no cell coverage and even out here on my ranch it is hit or miss.

Last edited:
Don't need cell coverage for Gaia.....Florida LABINS database is downloaded into the unit and uses the self contained GPS in the phone or iPad.

The iPad GPS will work at 35000 feet and 500 knots.

Could not go out target practicing today because it rained all day long, however I took the SIG 556 with an Olight M-20 Crimson out after dark and immediately shot this boar hog once in the head at 100 yards with my 75 grain Hornady handloads, DRT. Watched his retinas from 225 yards out and waited for him to come in.
w00t.gif

Red%20Boar.jpg

Red%20Boar2.jpg

The Olight M-20 Crimson sure is a great tactical night hunting torch...

Last edited:
Got the hams & tenderloins out last night and the rest is Italian sausage, the loins make some fine eating when marinated. Olight brings home the bacon again and again and again, now I'll have to work on the 'yotes feeding on the offal.

Man this ITT PVS14-17 is awesome, one shot @ 255 yards in the head with a handloaded Barnes TSX 70 grain dropped right there!

PVS14%20Night%20Hog.jpg

Sky Pup......

You must have an endless supply of hogs where you are ...... or maybe you have a hog mounted in the DRT position ???

Just kidding....nice shooting. The PVS14 looks like a great piece of equipment for your night hog hunting.

I hooked up the PVS-14 to my rail with the scope (Leopold VR-X 1-4X Pig Plex) and it works okay but the scope kind of deletes too much of the light coming through it to the NV optics. I think that to use a PVS scope wise I'd need a 50mm objective lens and I do not want to mount a high scope on my rifle. I may just keep this scoped rifle setup for day hunting and night hunting with Olight LED torches.

I have another 556 with an Night Vison compatible Eotech 557 and Eotech 3X Magnifier that I am going to mount and work on setting up this weekend, it should have much better results than the scope as the hologram is 1X and will not be filtering any photons into the PVS-14.

I think the combination of the NV and Hologram should be tops for precision night kills. I'll have to do some night target practice out to 250 yards.

I can't seem to find the olight m-20 crimson "combo" (with the charger batterys and etc) on the battery junction site. Maybe you have to call and request it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

They do not sell a "combo" of the M-20 Crimson, give them a call and they will tell you what charger you need if you want to run 18650 Lithium Ion rechargeables, I think their Tenergy charger is another $12-$15. You can use 123's batteries too, either one Li-Ion or two CR123s.

They just had a Leap Day sale the end of February with 10% off.

Almost have one of my night rifles setup:

556%20Right%203%20PVS%2014.jpg

556%20Left%203%20PVS%2014.jpg

Here is a pic through the ITT PVS-14 Pinnacle Night Enforcer and Eotech of my stand, it is 225 yards to the tree with my game cam and feeder in it.

Eotech%20Sight.jpg

hey skypup. was curious your opinion on the klr100. im thinkin of buying a predator pack. was just wondering if the 100 is as good of a scan light as some people say. or if i should just get the 250 then a different light for scanning. right now i use a 2mil power red spotlight for scanning but it drains its batteries quick. or like you 250 for scanning and crimson for rifle mount. TOO MANY OPTIONS lol. whats your opinion of the 100. scan with the 100, then switch on 250 once eyes spotted?

I think that scanning with a 100 and using a 250 for shooting is a great setup and should work quite nicely out to 200+ yards.

The Olight M-20 Crimson works great as a weapon mount or as a hand held scanner since it has a temporary On-Off switch that you can use for short periods of time.

I was looking at the Olight M20 Crimson and the smooth reflector. According to Olight and Battery Junction webdsites the smoothe reflector does not work with the
R2 version wich is the Crimson what are you using for a smoothe reflector?

Back