good to 100 y can't make it to 200y

Originally Posted By: boltrunner
20180805_061552.jpg
lower left group is at 100y . lower shot was the first shot. next 4 was after 2 clicks up. load was 60g v max 25.2 g h335 3040 fps. barrel BHW 18" pencil 1-8 .223 . can anyone tell me why the bullet is coming apart between 100 and 200. hornady tells me it should be good up to 4000 fps?

I have shot several coyotes with 40 gr. v-max at 3750 fps out to 300 yds, & 53 gr. v-max at 3850 fps. They did not go poof.
That leads me to believe a 60 gr. v-mx will not go poof either. 3000 fps is not enough to make any bullet I have used go poof. I would take a hard look at my scope & barrel. I have run 60 gr v-max at 3450 fps no problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobDid you shoot the rifle again at 100 yards after shooting it at 200 yards?

Two different times over the last 40 years or so I have had a scope go bad or break inside. I was just wondering if your rifle still shoots fine at 100 yards after you had the problem at 200 yards.

It seems like if it was the bullet coming apart, it would come apart before it got to 100 yards when it is going at a much faster speed.

^^^^^^This
Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: boltrunner yes i'v shot it after at 100.

English please?

And did you hit anything?

Perhapes your twist rate is too fast for those bullets. Had the same problem with a 22-250 and Speer TNT. Blew up about 50 yards out. Switched to another bullet and all was fine.

I might understand them going poof before 100yds, but between 100 and 200???????? Something don't sound right here. They don't speed up.

If everything you say is correct, I'd say there are only about 6 possible explanations here:
1.) You shot at the wrong target - not an insult, I've seen it happen.
2.) You overcharged the case / cases, and pushed it well over max velocity. You say 3040fps, but is that the exact rounds we are talking about or just the average for that load? I'd imagine you can stuff a lot of H335 in a .223 case, which is what I assume we are talking about. Did you inspect the brass afterwards for pressure signs?
3.) Your barrel or scope is toast.
4.) You have a bad batch of VMAX bullets, made entirely of the infamous Hornady Polymer tip material.
5.)You hit the berm and nobody saw it.
6.)The alien theory.

Originally Posted By: Mort98I suggest setting up a target at 125 yards, see what happens. Then 150, then 175. Please report back as you find any answers to this mystery.

i think this is the best suggestion i've seen on the whole thread.

nothing like some facts to completely ruin an argument, and what we dont have right now is facts other than "it works at 100, and then nothing"

i highly suggest you collect some more data and let us know what you find.

I wonder how the rifle was zeroed. Is this bullet still rising at 100 yards and going well over the top of the 200 yard target?
Either that or it is just a miss, or the alien thing.

Originally Posted By: 6724I wonder how the rifle was zeroed. Is this bullet still rising at 100 yards and going well over the top of the 200 yard target?

Target pictures in the first post.

Originally Posted By: boltrunner
20180805_061552.jpg
lower left group is at 100y . lower shot was the first shot. next 4 was after 2 clicks up. load was 60g v max 25.2 g h335 3040 fps. barrel BHW 18" pencil 1-8 .223 . can anyone tell me why the bullet is coming apart between 100 and 200. hornady tells me it should be good up to 4000 fps?

2 clicks up don't look like it moved 1/2 inch.. what scope you using..

Last edited:
Those are 1 inch squares so 2 clicks would be about right. He should be on paper at 200 easy. Speaking of him...where'd he go??

Back