Funny remark at the Gun Show today

not at a gun store but recently read at a predator hunting site

"a load of high velocity lead "T" shot in a properly choked gun will make for a 100 yard gun."

where do these guys come from.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: CZ527

That being said, I spend a LOT of time at the rifle range here, and curious gazing between groups has led me to believe that only about 1% of the population should be allowed to hunt game animals............

ya... if you wanna see a nightmare... head to any public range in the last month before deer season. i wont even go then if i have any other choice (i had to replace a scope a couple years ago last minute, ugh!)

everywhere around here goes to single loading rules, and prays people can keep their bullets on the backstop, no less on paper.

its sad, and its also why i consider myself fortunate to be able to hunt private property, surrounded by thousands of acres of private property.

Oh man I've seen some interesting stuff at the range in the month of October. We have a 300 yard range that's free and open to the public to use. There is no on duty "range officer" or whatever you call it its a come and go as you please range. I'm in charge of the club that owns the range so during the busiest times mostly the weekemds leading up to deer season ill go and spend a lot of time there. Just to make sure people are following the posted rules and being courteous to each other and such. I bring a bunch of paper targets so that the bozos that forget targets don't fashion them out of other things. I generally offer to take their targets down when they leave and pickup their brass mostly because so many people usually don't. I usually offer to call hits and misses as well which has led me to believe its probably more like.001 percent that should be shooting at game.

A majority of people have a hard time keeping everything on paper let alone what you could really call a "group".

Lots of people show up and can barely hit the dirt birm.
"New scope?"
"Ya"
"Did you bore sight?"
"No I figured it would be on paper"

I've taught quite a few how to bore sight. Fixed loose scope rings and bases and action screws.

One time a guy shows up and tells me all about his new 308. He gets all his stuff set up and pulls out a green plastic ammo box out and starts loading his mag and pops it in the gun and hes lining up his first shot. I just happen to look down and notice those bullets looked a lot more like 243 than 308 so I say something. He gets annoyed and acts like I must be crazy but he does pick one up and flip it over to read the case head which reads 243win. "Huh must have grabbed the wrong box". Had I not said something he was going to pull the trigger.

One guy is really proud of his new Christensen arms 26 Nosler and tells me it runs 4600 fps with only 3" of drop at 500 yards. This is a guy I've know most of my life who owns a large collection of rifles and is an avid hunter who has killed many respectable deer. First time I realized he was clueless about firearms. He held his ground and argued with me when I tried to tell him he was mistaken. I let it go.

My personal favorite is when some one is convinced there is something wrong so ill offer to shoot their rifle. Ill shoot a semi respectable group with it and 1/2 of the time they just get angry the other 1/2 want to figure out what they were doing wrong.

I've heard all manner of nonsense about firearms and reloading. Most of the time anymore I just do an internal face palm and smile and nod my head because it gets worse every year. My personally favorite was a conversation about rifiling twist. He just would not accept that a 14 twist was 1 turn in 14 " he insisted it was 14 turns in 1".

A lot of people shoot a 5 " group and say well its good enough for deer and leave.

A majority of these people are all people I know from our small extremely rural area but we do get people from further away a lot of those people are the good ones because they left the "city" ranges because of the same idiots we're talking about.

I've also met lots of great people made good friends and learned lots from other people as well as seen guys that put my own capabilities to shame. People ive know forever that I never would have geussed owned a firearm and turn out to be gun nuts and deadly accurate. But I usually see more bad than good.

You can run across experts just about anywhere, and not just at gun shows. Several months ago I was in another part of the country and I went into a grocery store to buy a few things. I ran across a guy in farmer bibber type pants who was buying several cases of tomato juice. He told me he was a government hired bullet tester.

I know he wasn't because he also had a big package of Red Solo Cups. He was planning to drink the tomato juice hisself. But his story sounded impressive, and I almost went away impressed as I wandered on down another aisle and found some frozen spinach kiesch for my dinner.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanYou can run across experts just about anywhere, and not just at gun shows. Several months ago I was in another part of the country and I went into a grocery store to buy a few things. I ran across a guy in farmer bibber type pants who was buying several cases of tomato juice. He told me he was a government hired bullet tester.

I know he wasn't because he also had a big package of Red Solo Cups. He was planning to drink the tomato juice hisself. But his story sounded impressive, and I almost went away impressed as I wandered on down another aisle and found some frozen spinach kiesch for my dinner.

Oh my gosh, let it go already, will ya!

It really shows your immaturity when you, often, try to find new ways to bring this up. I'd have thought someone of your age would have outgrown such childishness.

Its not nearly as immature, childish, and sinister as wishing someone (me) crashes on a commercial airline flight with other people aboard just because their (the other guy's) silliness gets exposed on a web site.

Quote:He just would not accept that a 14 twist was 1 turn in 14 " he insisted it was 14 turns in 1".

14 turns/" would be threads, not rifling.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Winny FanYou can run across experts just about anywhere, and not just at gun shows. Several months ago I was in another part of the country and I went into a grocery store to buy a few things. I ran across a guy in farmer bibber type pants who was buying several cases of tomato juice. He told me he was a government hired bullet tester.

Oh my gosh, let it go already, will ya!

It really shows your immaturity when you, often, try to find new ways to bring this up. I'd have thought someone of your age would have outgrown such childishness.

Oh Bryan. Everyone should know by now that expecting Whiney to grow up and quit behaving like a little child is just asking the impossible. He enjoys proving why so many of us have him blocked. Everyone except him is on the forum to learn and to help others. He is the only one that is here only to belittle and harass. A sickness? Years of being a morbid failure? Never been in a meaningful relationship with anyone? Who knows. But expect him to stop? I think that he has pretty well proven that he has no plans on ever growing up or growing a pair for that matter. It is not his style. Thank God there are no others like him. We should all be most grateful for that. I am for sure.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanIts not nearly as immature, childish, and sinister as wishing someone (me) crashes on a commercial airline flight with other people aboard just because their (the other guy's) silliness gets exposed on a web site.

Ok, so lets assume you're 100% correct, the superior person would let it go, versus continuing on with this nonsense. It only brings you down to the level of the person you believe yourself to be better than.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogIf you look close enough, that high horse some people ride on is actually a donkey.

Quite right, Bill. And donkeys never get tired of making an azz out of themselves it seems.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Winny FanIts not nearly as immature, childish, and sinister as wishing someone (me) crashes on a commercial airline flight with other people aboard just because their (the other guy's) silliness gets exposed on a web site.

Ok, so lets assume you're 100% correct, the superior person would let it go, versus continuing on with this nonsense. It only brings you down to the level of the person you believe yourself to be better than.

B23, I am 100% correct about the airline issue. It happened. And I’m not saying that you’re wrong with your thoughts in total because you’re not. Occasionally my wife tells me to put my competitive spirit “back into my pocket”.

It’s just been a fact that every since I received the “best wishes on your flight” online post from the guy who was outed for making outrageous claims about how the CONARC arrived at using a 55 grain FMJ bullet in the 5.56 MM cartridge, he has used every opportunity to take the “high road” on me, complete with vulgar name calling in many cases coupled with some crude psychological analysis of who I am, if he thinks he has a sympathetic audience.

I had not thought a lot about it for a while, and then today I read through an older thread where he was on a rant about me for an audience because I didn’t post something that agreed with his thinking. It just rekindled the competitive fire in me, so I posted my little grocery shopping “story”.

As for his better half that always chimes in, that guy is just a born follower who all he can do is play follow the leader. In real life, he’s probably not a bad guy when he has no one else leaning on him to respond in the affirmative to everything the other guy says……….

Simply stated, I get tired of the persistent name calling and the commonly cheap psychoanalysis like he provided you with.

A guy told me today that I can't shoot light bullets in my 9 twist barrel. He said it was made to shoot heavy bullets. Same guy told me he doesn't shoot Berger bullets cause they ricochet to bad.

You may not care for the presentation or whatever but Winny Fan most often has his facts straight and knows what he's talking about.

Really all this back and forth shows is this forum often is more drama filled than a junior high girls volleyball lockeroom. Bunch of grown [beeep] people squabbling over hurt feelings.

Last edited:
Back