Funny remark at the Gun Show today

I thought that it might have just changed, but Montana has no caliber restrictions for big game at the link below. From the 2018 Hunting Regulations Adobe file on "General Regulations and General Information". Page 15.

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/

Lawful Methods for Hunting Game
Animals

• Firearms, including rifles, handguns, shotguns
with 0, 00, or slugs, and muzzleloaders; archery
equipment; and crossbows are lawful for taking
game animals. All other methods of take are
prohibited.
• There is no rifle or handgun caliber limitation
or magazine/round capacity restrictions for the
taking of game animals.
• Rifle scopes with illuminated reticles, built-in
range finding capabilities, and “red dot” scopes
are lawful for the taking of game animals.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnothe might mean domesticated cow. like in a raised for burger king cow.

I hope so.

Calm down fellas I didn’t really shoot a cow of any sort with a 17 Remington. I mean I probably would, if that’s what I had and the opportunity presented itself....

Although common sense governs most people in my neck of the woods, I do not believe it is against the law to use a 17 or 204 or similar to shoot an elk in Texas, or a deer for certain. Any centerfire is the old terminology, haven’t checked up in a while. Yes, there are elk in Texas, naturally occurring, free ranging elk.... as well as a lot of pet elk that stupid people pay good money to shoot in pens.

Quote:In Texas, white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn may NOT be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber. Rimfire ammunition does not possess enough velocity at longer ranges for clean shots on big game.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education/online-course/firearms-and-ammunition-1/bullets

Recommended center fire for deer is .243 up (for all game, see chart at above link).

Interestingly, a friend of mine was riding along w/game wardens a few years ago, when they were checking out a deer camp. The warden was looking over a hanging buck when he spotted a very small wound behind the ear. The hunter readily admitted to finishing the buck off with a .22 revolver and was ticketed for it.
unsure.gif

Personally, my interactions with TX game wardens have all been very pleasant, but this struck me as being unreasonable. Don't know how that came out in court.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotwow. just like in the old, old, old days. run with what ya brung. i miss those days.

Maybe getting off topic a bit but just following up with some more info. In Virginia the law says 24 caliber and up for big game, which means my 6x45 is legal. The case head may say 223 or 5.56 which could lead to further suspicion or questioning by a Game Warden. I guess a micrometer would be in order to prove the legality of it.

As to crazy state laws, I remember well the days when it was illegal (yes illegal) to hunt small game, ie squirrels and rabbits with a .22 rimfire handgun. I could legally blast them all day long with a .357 or .44 mag but not the sensible choice. Just goes to show that there are all too many people in places of authority, like legislatures, both state and local that don't know one end of a gun from another.

Originally Posted By: CZ527Calm down fellas I didn’t really shoot a cow of any sort with a 17 Remington.

I was just going by what you said.

"Never used a 204, but I did pop a cow with a 17 Remington once. 25 gr factory ammo, she never twitched"

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: CZ527Calm down fellas I didn’t really shoot a cow of any sort with a 17 Remington.

"Never used a 204, but I did pop a cow with a 17 Remington once. 25 gr factory ammo, she never twitched"

this is 2018. if you see something, say something. everybody is equal. everybody is a winner. everybody gets a trophy. maybe you get extra points for admitting to a little fib also?
scared.gif

Went to a local GS back during the ammo crunch, heard they had some 17m2 ammo so I went to get some the guy behind the counter asked if it would work for the 17hmr, I told him no two different Chambers another customer said yep just like shooting 22 short out of a 22lr, I told him well good luck with that and left with my two boxes of ammo.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogDang David, comments like that would almost make it worth going. Thats some funny chit there.

You can only listen to so much stupidity for so long, then it's time to vacate the premises!

I am a custom gun builder, and every once in a while I'll go by Bass Pro Shop and hang around the gun counters just to see what everybody is talking about...

Last time there was around the 4th. of July weekend. Some kid (23 to 24 years old) was looking at a used Lightweight Remington 870 with a 30" plain fixed choke barrel. He asked one of the guys behind the counter if he could shoot 3 1/2" turkey loads in it. The guy said "if it's a modern gun and not an old black powder gun, then you can safely shoot any she'll in it you want"!!!

Well, this kid proceeds to buy the gun, buys a box of 3 1/2" turkey loads and 2 boxes of 3 1/2" steel shot for ducks and geese...

While they are waiting on NICS approval, I talk to the kid and he said that since this was his first gun, he really wanted to start shooting it with everything he could, getting ready for this hunting season!

Well, about 20 minutes later, the guy that sold him the gun said he had been approved, and he just needed him to sign a couple of places on the form and gun was his.

They called a manager to sign off of everything, and I asked the manager if the transaction was complete. The manager said it was.

I showed the manager my cradentials and asked if we could talk in his office, and to keep that young man there for a few minutes.

I told the manager how irresponsible and uninformed the guy behind the counter was, plus he was just a plain flat out jack [beeep]!

After our conversation was finished, the manager called his employee and the your man into his office, and fired him on the spot! Everything was explained to the young man and wound up buying a Browning BPS that would shoot 3 1/2" shells. The manager apologized to him I don't know how many times.

Numb nuts got fired, the kid got a new gun and the manager got a lesson in humility. All in all, it made for an interesting time...

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotwow. just like in the old, old, old days. run with what ya brung. i miss those days.

Maybe getting off topic a bit but just following up with some more info. In Virginia the law says 24 caliber and up for big game, which means my 6x45 is legal. The case head may say 223 or 5.56 which could lead to further suspicion or questioning by a Game Warden. I guess a micrometer would be in order to prove the legality of it.

Past couple of years I have been waiting to be checked while my grandson is carrying a 6x45 that I built for him to deer hunt. I'm going to tell him we can go to the house and get a mic. Chances of me getting checked is slim and none. I talked to a game warden just before hunting season a couple years ago and when he was getting ready to leave I told him I'd see him when deer season came in. His response was "You said you don't hunt with a club so you won't be seeing me unless you call me."

Just as sad, its not just the general public who knows nothing. I have heard some BS from the guys behind the gun counter too. Shotgun fit is really a topic which no one knows about but seems everyone thinks they are an expert. Soon as they say something about the distance from your elbow to your finger determines LOP, its time to tune out...

Originally Posted By: pyscodogSometimes it amazes what the "Pro's" behind the counter actually know. Sometimes you sure need your waders on. It gets deep.

Evidently sometimes the "pro's" in front of the counter are pretty amazing also.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: CZ527Calm down fellas I didn’t really shoot a cow of any sort with a 17 Remington.

this is 2018. if you see something, say something. everybody is equal. everybody is a winner. everybody gets a trophy. maybe you get extra points for admitting to a little fib also?
scared.gif

I probably didn’t paste as much sarcasm into my original post as needed... I thought 17 Remington would have been enough. But, when you’ve got people just looking for something to whine about they’ll jump on anything.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Quote:In Texas, white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn may NOT be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber. Rimfire ammunition does not possess enough velocity at longer ranges for clean shots on big game.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education/online-course/firearms-and-ammunition-1/bullets

Recommended center fire for deer is .243 up (for all game, see chart at above link).

Interestingly, a friend of mine was riding along w/game wardens a few years ago, when they were checking out a deer camp. The warden was looking over a hanging buck when he spotted a very small wound behind the ear. The hunter readily admitted to finishing the buck off with a .22 revolver and was ticketed for it.
unsure.gif

Personally, my interactions with TX game wardens have all been very pleasant, but this struck me as being unreasonable. Don't know how that came out in court.

Regards,
hm

I don’t really know how many deer my family has successfully taken with a 222 Rem, but I’m certain it’s in the hundreds. Oddly enough, the only two deer we have ever lost were with a 270 and a 25-06. Definitely not saying they aren’t more capable, just a strange coincidence.

I get asked often what would make for a good deer rifle, and I tell people if they’re comfortable putting 5 shots in a snuff can at 100 yards with something they already own, buy some soft points for it and use that.

I think a lot more people are recoil sensitive than we realize, and a smaller bore may be best for them.

That being said, I spend a LOT of time at the rifle range here, and curious gazing between groups has led me to believe that only about 1% of the population should be allowed to hunt game animals............

Yep, the .243 is a suggestion, not a requirement. I've culled a lot of WT does with a .223, as well. Large calibers can only cover up so much in the way of poor POI.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: CZ527

That being said, I spend a LOT of time at the rifle range here, and curious gazing between groups has led me to believe that only about 1% of the population should be allowed to hunt game animals............

ya... if you wanna see a nightmare... head to any public range in the last month before deer season. i wont even go then if i have any other choice (i had to replace a scope a couple years ago last minute, ugh!)

everywhere around here goes to single loading rules, and prays people can keep their bullets on the backstop, no less on paper.

its sad, and its also why i consider myself fortunate to be able to hunt private property, surrounded by thousands of acres of private property.

Back