Fred Eichlers Response to FMJ

Originally Posted By: jbmaster I don't think it's a big deal if that's what he wants to shoot.What bugs me is someone trying to sound so high and mighty.Like this post," I have shot literally hundreds of rounds....They have never,ever riccocheted blah blah blah...BULLCRAP!!! You don't know where every round went.And you say you shoot through"tall grass and brush",then say you don't shoot if there is greasebrush or something.This is just a meaningless,wishywashy post.Come on mister director/vice pres,you can do better!

Mr. bjmaster, I don't think I can.

Although it's hard to explain to someone that doesn't hunt out west, or have any idea about the terrain, vegetation, or anything else about me, other than to try and derail the whole thread with meaningless accusations that not founded upon anything other than your own shortcomings, I'll try & let you in on my train of thought.

I DO know I don't get any bullets that survive the initial impact. The bullet design pretty much insures that. I also know my target & what's behind it. Since you are obviously an expert at what kind of vegetation grows where I hunt, I won't bother to address that with a comment in answer to your flame.
glare.gif

I also said I didn't care if anyone legally used FMJ's if that was their choice, but I stand by what I said when I mentioned better choices for bullets than that.

You seem to want to make this personal, and if that's the way it is, then you win....
wink.gif

You obviously know more about hunting conditions down here in my area than I do. "Meaningless & wishywashy" are just your opinion.
Before you make another reply or post, you should be aware of one policy we have though called "Zero Tolerance".

I don't care if you shoot your PA coyotes with FMJ's through 5" pine trees.....That's your choice. I just made it plain that it wasn't my preference.
Have a great day!
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: jbmaster I don't think it's a big deal if that's what he wants to shoot.What bugs me is someone trying to sound so high and mighty.Like this post," I have shot literally hundreds of rounds....They have never,ever riccocheted blah blah blah...BULLCRAP!!! You don't know where every round went.And you say you shoot through"tall grass and brush",then say you don't shoot if there is greasebrush or something.This is just a meaningless,wishywashy post.Come on mister director/vice pres,you can do better!

fred??? is this you?

From what I have seen, it seems like Fred is a pretty stand up guy. Some of us do things that others don't agree with. That doesn't make it wrong..... I remember thinking it was ok to shoot coyotes with #4 turkey loads. A few wounded coyotes later, I decided that was a bad idea. Lots of guys on here use #4 shot all the time. Does that make it wrong? They kill plenty of coyotes DRT. For me, it doesn't work, and makes ME feel irresponsible. For them, it works great and kills clean. We are all different. I don't think FMJ's are the best choice, but they kill coyotes, and plenty of hunters use them. I don't care what you shoot. We are all responsible for every round we fire!!!! As long as he was safe, I don't see how you can argue that what he did was wrong. I guess I am more worreid about those that want to take away my rights to hunt, than I am about Fred killing a few yotes with FMJ's. I hope Fred joins PM, and he is one heck of a bow hunter!

just my .02

I also would like to see Fred as a member.
Not to "hijack" a thread, I shoot yotes all the time with "#4 TURKEY LOADS". They work good for me.I do shoot them in a .620 constriction choke, and limit shots to 50 yards with these loads. Maybe we should start a new thread for "shotgun yotes"????
thumbup.gif

Really? This much fuss over one show where I chose to shoot a LEGAL Full Metal Jacket round to hunt with?
Maybe it's good I don't get on these sites much. In hindsight, I do apologize for not explaining to any novices watching the show that an FMJ is not the most effective round for predator hunting. But, a bow isn't the most effective weapon to hunt them with either and in certain situations I enjoy that as well. As for the experienced guys that grew up hunting, trapping and selling furs like I did, I just figured they already knew that so I didn't feel the need to explain. It is a scary time in our country with more freedoms being taken away every day. In my eyes if it is legal whether I personally agree with it or not, I am all for it and will not take up a stance against it. A few of you would be well served to follow that reasoning or all of our hunting rights will be in jeopardy as we squabble amongst ourselves. Good hunting, Fred

Welcome Fred! I'm a big fan and although I was confused at that episode, I didn't bash you for it. Don't think everyone is as hard headed as some folks on this post. There are several other posts talking about you where almost everyone is praising you. I look forward to pics and stories also!

After 5-6 pages of this it reminds me of 17HMR repeats, I say make a sub-section "opt-in" and let them titty twist each other.Who else is sick of this stuff?

Hello Fred. Nice to see you come and express yourself. Im relatively sure that you realise that your show is exposed to Many new hunters..If not, there would be no need of the advertisements to try and convince folks to buy the products. We all know that Television is about sales, and that is why there is about 10 mins of hunting per 30 min show. And being that there are soo many new hunters that watch, and Buy, and replicate what they see on television, its easy to see how a situation like this could arise. The people watching the shows arent only experienced hunters they are new and looking for guidence. So, when certain things are shown on television, some take it as gospel. Wont you agree? So by showing things that are Illegal in lots of states, it portrays an image that is not that becoming of a hunter of your caliber. Instead of jumping on people that have strong feelings of obeying the laws, Id look at my own self, and ask.. Could I be wrong? Good to see you here.. lots of members here watch your show.

Originally Posted By: FredEichlerReally? This much fuss over one show where I chose to shoot a LEGAL Full Metal Jacket round to hunt with?
Maybe it's good I don't get on these sites much. In hindsight, I do apologize for not explaining to any novices watching the show that an FMJ is not the most effective round for predator hunting. But, a bow isn't the most effective weapon to hunt them with either and in certain situations I enjoy that as well. As for the experienced guys that grew up hunting, trapping and selling furs like I did, I just figured they already knew that so I didn't feel the need to explain. It is a scary time in our country with more freedoms being taken away every day. In my eyes if it is legal whether I personally agree with it or not, I am all for it and will not take up a stance against it. A few of you would be well served to follow that reasoning or all of our hunting rights will be in jeopardy as we squabble amongst ourselves. Good hunting, Fred

haha talk about being caught with your pants down! gotta figure though, if you are in the public eye, no matter your profession, wether it be an actor a politician or a hunter that has a tv show you are gonna get some talk! some good some not so good!~ i personally dont think i could take being famous. by the way fred alot of guys on this forum respect you! welcome aboard!
lonnie

Thanks guys, glad to be here! Looking forward to hearing some good stories as well. Leave for Texas in the morning for a few days, then it's back home and hopefully chasing a Mt Lion if we get some snow. Happy Turkey Day, Fred

Back