Fred Eichlers Response to FMJ

Less pelt damage? How is there less pelt damage when you have to put four more rounds into the pelt for the pelt to quit running? Just wondering

Originally Posted By: TexasTexas95Less pelt damage? How is there less pelt damage when you have to put four more rounds into the pelt for the pelt to quit running? Just wondering

Yep thats if you even find them then.

I just got off the phone with fred. He explained that FMJ's are NOT his primary round, but something he rarely uses.

He also said that in hindsight, he definitely should have said something in regard to the fact that FMJ's are not the best at killing dogs on the spot. I invited him to join up here and engage in conversation, which he said he would likely do.

Gentlemen, please exercise a little restraint in tearing this guy up one side and down the other. Everyone learns things as they go, and Fred is no exception to this rule... nor are we.

We need as many folks in the public eye pushing our sport as possible, and Fred is one of the good guys! If he can come away from this with stronger arguments, then we've accomplished something useful.
smile.gif

i don't know if Fred has hunted furbearers much and if he has'nt than he's learned a lesson. but to have some of you rag on a guy that has done more with a bow that few have done with a gun?? well??. give the guy the respect that he deserves. we've ALL made mistakes.

Maybe field points would be more fur friendly on Predators than a Broadhead? If a Bowhunter proclaimed that he would most likely be called on it. TV or no TV. The fact is, he was using a rifle and FMJ's advocating it on TV. No one here has detracted from his Bowhunting prowess.

Yeah, I think this whole thing gotta a little out of hand.

Lord knows I've made my share of mistakes, bad decisions, goof ups.

I'd be the first to admit, I'm jealous, envious or whatever else you want to call it of Fred!

Carry on Fred.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357The fact is, he was using a rifle and FMJ's advocating it on TV.

... and that is where he conceded his mistake. The guy is human, give him a break. Imagine how tiresome it would get if you were a tv personality and everyone is always trying to tell you the "right" way to do things.

He realizes the error and expressed his desire to correct it. That is the mark of an honorable man in my opinion.

-Greg

I to asked him to join here but still havnt got a answer to that one, I hope he does i think it would do both PM and him some good.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Joe Average proclaims something similar. Will people give him the same ammount of forgiveness? Will he get flamed more because he isnt a Star? It remains to be seen.

I was out calling coyotes and I called one in. I was using my RRA 18" Varmint with FULL METAL JACKET ROUNDS cause I heard they are good on a TV show. I had my dog with me and as the coyote came in I shot him at about 50yds standing broadside. He jumped in the air and started to go in circles really fast. Well my dog thought that was an invitation to play so off he went to join the "playful" coyote. I shot the rest of my 20 round magazine into the spinning coyote. I reloaded with a fresh 20 round mag, by now my dog was there with him and the coyote started to chase my dog. They ran straight back to my truck. My dog went around the other side and the coyote stopped about 20yds from the truck. I started shooting the coyote, well the rounds went right on through and i now had a bunch of .223 FULL METAL JACKET ROUND holes in my truck. The coyote finally went down and I had to walk up to it and do a head shot to finish it off. I threw it in the bed of the PU and we got in the truck. Well, what I didn't know at the time is that one of the FULL METAL JACKET ROUNDS nicked my gas line. When I started the truck, there was a huge explosion under the hood. My truck burst into flames, didn't have a fire extinguisher handy so had to watch my truck burn, I grabbed the coyote out of the bed. Unfortunately, I had a case of 1,000 rounds of FULL METAL JACKET ROUNDS inside. They started cooking off, so we ran like heck to find cover. I found a big tree for me and the dog to hide behind. Well the FULL METAL JACKET ROUNDS started coming through the tree and hit me in the leg. Fortunately I had a roll of DUCT TAPE handy and just taped up my wound. The fullet went right thru because it was a FULL METAL JACKET ROUND. Just a flesh wound. Well, when things setteled down, my truck was burned to the ground, I called a buddy to come and get us. On the ride home I explained what I was doing and he told me I was a DUMB A$$ for usingn FULL METAL JACKET ROUNDS! I told him, OH YHEA, WELL I SAW IT ON A TV SHOW WITH A FAMOUS HUNTER, SOOOO THERE!!! I told him. So we skin out the coyote and stretch the pelt, it looked like someone had taken and .223 electric mini-gun like in Predator to it. Not a problem, I can sew them holes up and still get a decent price for it!
lol.gif

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, TRAINED PROFESSIONALS CONDUCTED THIS HUNT, THE NAMES HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO PROTECT THE STUPID...

I wouldn't use fmj's myself, but like it's been posted on this website a bunch of times, if it's legal and you choose to, go for it. It might not be the best choice but it is each hunters choice to do things the way he sees fit within the law. I think the only mistake he made was not letting the people watching know that fmj's aren't legal to hunt with in all states and it might not be the best bullet to use.

Not sure exactly what "mistake" Fred is owning up to. He did what he did and apparently said it worked. Is the mistake that he lied about it or is the mistake that he went against conventional wisdom? and hurt his image?

Originally Posted By: stanlyI was out calling coyotes and I called one in. I was using my RRA 18" Varmint with FULL METAL JACKET ROUNDS cause I heard they are good on a TV show. I had my dog with me and as the coyote came in I shot him at about 50yds standing broadside. He jumped in the air and started to go in circles really fast. Well my dog thought that was an invitation to play so off he went to join the "playful" coyote. I shot the rest of my 20 round magazine into the spinning coyote. I reloaded with a fresh 20 round mag, by now my dog was there with him and the coyote started to chase my dog. They ran straight back to my truck. My dog went around the other side and the coyote stopped about 20yds from the truck. I started shooting the coyote, well the rounds went right on through and i now had a bunch of .223 FULL METAL JACKET ROUND holes in my truck. The coyote finally went down and I had to walk up to it and do a head shot to finish it off. I threw it in the bed of the PU and we got in the truck. Well, what I didn't know at the time is that one of the FULL METAL JACKET ROUNDS nicked my gas line. When I started the truck, there was a huge explosion under the hood. My truck burst into flames, didn't have a fire extinguisher handy so had to watch my truck burn, I grabbed the coyote out of the bed. Unfortunately, I had a case of 1,000 rounds of FULL METAL JACKET ROUNDS inside. They started cooking off, so we ran like heck to find cover. I found a big tree for me and the dog to hide behind. Well the FULL METAL JACKET ROUNDS started coming through the tree and hit me in the leg. Fortunately I had a roll of DUCT TAPE handy and just taped up my wound. The fullet went right thru because it was a FULL METAL JACKET ROUND. Just a flesh wound. Well, when things setteled down, my truck was burned to the ground, I called a buddy to come and get us. On the ride home I explained what I was doing and he told me I was a DUMB A$$ for usingn FULL METAL JACKET ROUNDS! I told him, OH YHEA, WELL I SAW IT ON A TV SHOW WITH A FAMOUS HUNTER, SOOOO THERE!!! I told him. So we skin out the coyote and stretch the pelt, it looked like someone had taken and .223 electric mini-gun like in Predator to it. Not a problem, I can sew them holes up and still get a decent price for it!
lol.gif

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, TRAINED PROFESSIONALS CONDUCTED THIS HUNT, THE NAMES HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO PROTECT THE STUPID...

I am sure glad i wasnt drinking while reading this , i would have to been clening beer off the floor , roof and everywhere else.LMAO

I don't think it's a big deal if that's what he wants to shoot.What bugs me is someone trying to sound so high and mighty.Like this post," I have shot literally hundreds of rounds....They have never,ever riccocheted blah blah blah...BULLCRAP!!! You don't know where every round went.And you say you shoot through"tall grass and brush",then say you don't shoot if there is greasebrush or something.This is just a meaningless,wishywashy post.Come on mister director/vice pres,you can do better!

Originally Posted By: rockinbbarI have shot literally hundreds of rounds of 55gr V-Max at coyotes & other predators in all sorts of conditions from tall grass to brush. They have never, ever riccocheted, and are very good at putting the animal DRT with very minimum fur damage.

Do I miss a kill sometimes due to the coyote stopping on the other side of a greasebrush or something? SURE!

Unless I'm mis-reading, he didn't say that he didn't shoot through greasebrush...just that when he does, sometimes it's unsuccessful.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: MTurboOriginally Posted By: getfoxyLet me get my popcorn.

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Yep i was going to take a nap , NOT NOW.

Back