Fred Eichler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canislatrans54

I know I'm going to show some ignorance.
Heck, I've even been told a few times that I live under a rock or three.
However, since I've been chasing predators for a decent number of years, I thought I had heard of MOST of the "names" in the business.
You know, guys with the names like Blair, Stewart, Burnham, Roberson, South, Anderson. And even some desert dweller a lot of folks call "Uncle".
Back in '08, I even was lucky enough to meet a great assortment of old "names" & "new names". Even got to meet some "no names", such as myself.
cool.gif

But until I heard people talking about this "Predator Nation" TV show, I had never before heard of this guy named Fred Eichler.
Now in the past few weeks, I've scoured & read all I could find on the internet & in print about this man.
And you know what...I still can't say I know much about him.
Now don't get me wrong. I readily admit, from the things I've read, he's 10X the hunter I ever will be. (although I reserve judgement as to the coyote hunting, if all things were even, LOL, as I have full confidence in my limited abilities.)
grin.gif

I'm just curious why I should trust what he says & shows on TV.
I trust & respect guys like Glenn Guess, Tony Tebbe, Kerry Carver & Rick Robbins wholeheartedly. But gee, none of them have a TV show.
OK, so Kerry DID make a video...and TT was going to & needs to...but the point is ALL of these guys (and many others who I didn't have room to mention) have proven their worth to the predator hunting community.
Before Predator Nation, how many predator hunters had ever heard of Fred Eichler?

Again, I'm NOT trying to badmouth the guy.
I just don't understand what is supposed to make him so special in the predator hunting world.
confused.gif

Please, enlighten me if you can. After all I'm told I live under rocks.
wink.gif

Fred is an OUTSTANDING hunter and seems to be a great all around guy. i think he is just one of those guys that has'nt craved fame and fortune. however, when one does get good at what they do and have a good t.v. personality, sooner or later some of them will "bite the bullet"

I've never heard of Fred before the show either. But that probably means very little. He has probably never heard of me, and he has a TV show and I don't.
smile.gif

I'm just a weekend hunter, and a few weeks a year for vacation, and after 25 years of what I do, I am not giving up my full time job.

Funny thing to me, I know, met, or have hunted with some of these big name guys you mentioned and a few other very well recognized names. Some "well knowns" really look down on a few, and openly mock them. Heck, I'm sure all of them could teach me lots about predator hunting.

I guess it isn't much different with fishermen either.

As with any form of media such as TV, Magazine articles, or whatever, YOU need to be the one that sifts through the information that presented.
Remember that TV is a form of ENTERTAINMENT, and what we see and are exposed to on that needs to be evaluated as it applies to our personal sporting interests.

Look at the way anyone sets up their stand, how the stand is either successful or not, the methods & equipment used in the show, and then consider your personal experience with such matters before applying "Truth" to the show.

There are shows out there that have hosts with plenty of personality, but in reality, they are taken on guided hunts that are filmed, and actually have very little input as to the means, method & construction of the actual hunt being filmed.

Other hosts are flagrant with their inexperience, and that comes across on camera too.
scared.gif

Only you can decide on what to believe or not.
wink.gif
thumbup1.gif

Barry

All I can say is that after every show, I keep telling myself "Why Bother" Call me a critic or whatever, but I have been around and hunted with some exceptional guys that know what they are doing. Most hunters pick this up by osmosis and there is not many good things that come from that show.

The last episode was about night hunting in a portion so he throws his sponsors night vision scope on his AR and says "2 minutes and your done" no mention of sighting in or anything. And guess what, he misses coyotes. lol..

I know that there is a rush to get good footage in with the abundance of commercials, but if you are going to make a show, put some information in it as well.

And for goodness sake, don't jump up screaming like a geek that just got his first date after he shoots or wounds a coyote. Keep calling and show what hunting is about. I have seen very little education on that show about the sport and with the bad shots and full metal jacket ammo, it is a bad mark on the industry in my opinion.

Last edited:
He is an outfitter/guide in colorado, and is better known in bowhunting. But I think he really got his break because his wife is ceo (president?) Of Muzzy broadheads. I think he knows what he's talking about but he's a little off
smile.gif

Like bigsky songdogs said he is better known in the bowhunting industry. Mainly with his recurve bows. And I to agree with how he got his break also. I have only seen his show one time and was not worried about seeing it again. We need more educational shows not infomercials.

Originally Posted By: jrbb00 We need more educational shows not infomercials.

Unless it has changed, that pretty much kills the entire Outdoor Channel, which I quit watching years ago.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyAfter seeing him use FMJ's I could give two craps less about his show, thats just my opinion

Hey, at least he isn't using tracer rounds, which I saw some yahoo do in a DVD that I bought.

Hey give me a show and let me see how I can do at it!! I think I can teach everyone a whole heck of allot
smile.gif

Haha, Wow I wish!!

Yep, and they set a field on fire with them too. lol..

I would like to see him come on here and learn some things and maybe even have some of our own resident hunters hunt with him in order to bring the show to some level of entertainment balanced with education.

I'm sure he is a nice guy and all but he is making an @$$ of himself.

Originally Posted By: PbchuckerGetemclose you just need to do what Fred did, marry the right women!!!

Definately.. I need to figure out something
confused.gif
!

im not a big fan of the show myself .. rather watch predator quest instead .most of the shows on tv now are info commercials for the products they use and swear by or they are so stuck up on themselves it aint funny . give em a show thats not rehearsed and the shots of the hunter are redone . thats not hunting thats hollywood ( yeah i stole that from primos .. lol ) .

Remember the best predator hunters in the world are out there and not on TV, you will never hunt with them and probably never even meet them, they do it because they enjoy it not to be on TV.

I do enjoy watching predator nation, it’s better than watching another whitetail show. I can't take any more of that.

I kinda wondering that after all of these post's he hasnt come on and explained how FMJ's are a good thing. Lots of sponsors come on and explain/fix problems when written about. He's not a sponsor but you get my drift. Its fun though as the Coyotes hit on his show are spinning in circles, and heading for parts unknown that the picture stops.. and he says.. " Main I Smoked Him" hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back