First Night Out; iRay Rico MK1 640 50mm & ILR 1000. AKA Rico Trainwreck

Appreciate your input P&Y. The battery situation was a big negative for me also. Loved the Trail battery setup. Also was not fond of the shape of the Thermions but I can get around that if the POI is rock solid. Love the shape and compactness of the Bering and AGM units. I have run nothing but ANKER battery packs for a long time and they are marvelous.

All about finding the most qualities you want.. and hoping they work! The low base mag of XP50 is too low for me.

Well folks today marks the 6th day Iray has had my LRF unit in for repair.

One of the main reasons I had went with the company was the five day repair or replacement guarantee. I suspected the warranty was too good to be true. "A promise is only as good as the person who makes it". It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Last edited:
April update: I received a replacement LRF a few days after my last post. NIB got it out to test (season is closed) and it doesn't work.

I had asked my dealer for a exchange/credit right after seeing how poor the image was. I was told to contact iRay. Figured it would just be the classic ping pong "talk to the manufacturer, talk to the dealer" debacle so I never inquired further.

My friend pursuaded me to contact iRay. I asked for a refund and they said to talk to my dealer. Surprise, surprise! They did offer to check the unit out so I may send it back just to confirm it's in spec.

Thermals have been a nightmare for me. I'm thinking of hanging it up.

Originally Posted By: P&YApril update: I received a replacement LRF a few days after my last post. NIB got it out to test (season is closed) and it doesn't work.

I had asked my dealer for a exchange/credit right after seeing how poor the image was. I was told to contact iRay. Figured it would just be the classic ping pong "talk to the manufacturer, talk to the dealer" debacle so I never inquired further.

My friend pursuaded me to contact iRay. I asked for a refund and they said to talk to my dealer. Surprise, surprise! They did offer to check the unit out so I may send it back just to confirm it's in spec.

I've got 3 nasty units that have killed over a few hundred Coyotes, They work amazing, hold zero in 70 degree temp swings, perfect clarity, still warranty, flat out killing machines. I wouldn't offer to anyone one else, but with the seemingly bad run you have had, it would be a shame to see you give up hope now....

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: P&YApril update: I received a replacement LRF a few days after my last post. NIB got it out to test (season is closed) and it doesn't work.

I've got 3 nasty units that have killed over a few hundred Coyotes, They work amazing, hold zero in 70 degree temp swings, perfect clarity, still warranty, flat out killing machines. I wouldn't offer to anyone one else, but with the seemingly bad run you have had, it would be a shame to see you give up hope now....

Couldn't disagree more but glad you're satisfied with yours. iRay did offer to inspect it so I will probably send it in before dumping it.

I really appreciate your posts & updates. I’ve been looking for another purchase in my future & Iray was looking pretty good with their 5 year warranty & 5 day repair or replacement guarantee BUT you sure are shining a light on that company !

I’m looking forward to seeing how you are treated !!

Thank you !

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickI really appreciate your posts & updates. I’ve been looking for another purchase in my future & Iray was looking pretty good with their 5 year warranty & 5 day repair or replacement guarantee BUT you sure are shining a light on that company !

I’m looking forward to seeing how you are treated !!

Thank you !

Be sure to weight the pro's and cons of Pulsar, Trijicon, Nvision Flir, ATN, and all the rest before you make an "educated" decision based on minimal usage from posts here. Just sayin.

That’s what I’m going to do James. I follow posts on here & on different sights on Facebook & YouTube. Not everyone has the same issues for sure. I have read numerous issues about other brands also.

Even with all the issues there were & have been about Pulsars over the years for instance I still bought the Pulsar Thermion xm38 & have been very happy with it. I love having the audio ability that the Pulsar’s have ! Just don’t understand why others haven’t offered it. That option among others is a plus for me & puts Pulsar way ahead of others !

I find it very simple to operate. I don’t have to push multiple buttons numerous times to change functions or settings like some others. I also don’t have to memorize icons to understand how to operate the scope.

If Pulsar would come out with a small scope like these others have I would probably have it BUT a 5 year warranty would be great !!

Thanks for the advice ! I will keep it in mind as I continue to look !

Last edited:
Pa. Mick, I will keep you posted. I'm hoping the poor image is a glitch and they can actually get the LRF working.

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickThat’s what I’m going to do James. I follow posts on here & on different sights on Facebook & YouTube. Not everyone has the same issues for sure. I have read numerous issues about other brands also.

Even with all the issues there were & have been about Pulsars over the years for instance I still bought the Pulsar Thermion xm38 & have been very happy with it. I love having the audio ability that the Pulsar’s have ! Just don’t understand why others haven’t offered it. That option among others is a plus for me & puts Pulsar way ahead of others !

I find it very simple to operate. I don’t have to push multiple buttons numerous times to change functions or settings like some others. I also don’t have to memorize icons to understand how to operate the scope.

If Pulsar would come out with a small scope like these others have I would probably have it BUT a 5 year warranty would be great !!

Thanks for the advice ! I will keep it in mind as I continue to look !

Perfectly done brother 10000% I'm running a new Alpha right now that is supposed to have an upgraded internal audio recorder, but my dumba$$ didn't turn it on when I made the first kill, so there is no audio. I'll post it up here when I get something decent!

I have the wonderful Infiray Saim SCH50, so P&Y, Skinney, Kirsch ... we basically all use the same fantastic Infiray 640x512@12micron sensor and the same 50mm focal length lens. Among our devices, only some features change, the software and the attachment to the rifle. But the performance and magnification are the same. I have never had a thermal device (scanner or riflescope ...) with which it looks as good as with this fabulous Infiray Saim SCH50. I think only the brand new Infiray Tube TH50 will be slightly better ... On the last day of hunting I was allowed to shoot roe deer at night, because the planned shooting rate had not been reached (5 roe deer were missing ...). With the Infiray Saim SCH50 mounted (fixed with the stock attachment) on the Picatinny rail of the 308 caliber semiautomatic rifle Benelli Argo Amazonia Green, I shot, in total darkness .... I took the first, which was stopped at 110 yards, on the neck ... the other 2 ran away very fast .. I threw 3 shots and took them both, even if they ran faster than your coyotes .. 3 kills with 4 shots, (Hornady Superformance 150 grs sst ... 3000 feet / second ....), impressive !! I could say that the Infiray Saim SCH50 (which I remind you is practically identical to the Bering Optics Super Yoter ...) is a real "war machine", the gamekeeper had never seen such a thing ... in total darkness .. .. Therefore P&Y I would recommend that you have the Rico 640 replaced with another one under warranty. It seems almost impossible to me that there are problems with POI, adjustment, brightness, contrast ... You may have the misfortune of having a faulty device. Change it to warranty and give it another chance ....

Last edited:
Ernest, glad to hear you enjoy the scope and good shooting! I will send my scope back. Hopefully it is defective.

I am confident (after having two) the LRF offered is simply not capable. I will also return my second LRF in the small chance I got two defective units.

Unfortunately even if a replacement has an improved image, focus ability and eye relief, it is not worth the high price to me without a usable LRF.

Last edited:
... have you never considered the option of having the rangefinder built into the thermal scanner instead of into the thermal riflescope? In this way the rifle becomes a little more manageable and easier to use. I have this monocular thermal scanner with a rangefinder (Infiray FH35R). I assure you it's great. Basically it's like having a Bering Optics Phenom 640 lrf.

https://www.infirayoutdoor.com/thermal-imaging-scope-finder-fh35r-fl35r-series_p74.html

There is also an excellent, even smaller and more manageable version with 25 mm optics (Infiray FH25R)

https://www.infirayoutdoor.com/thermal-imaging-scope-finder-fh25r-fl25rseries_p53.html

Last edited:
Ernest,

I am sure P&Y can answer for himself but wanted to provide my perspective on this. A LRF on a scanner can be a very useful tool for many things. However, when calling coyotes, I will typically move from the scanner to the gun as soon as I spot the coyote with the scanner. Most of the time, the coyote is still approaching. Yes, it is great to know the coyote is at XXX yards/meters at that point, but often I will be following the coyote or coyotes for a period of time until I shoot. Some people will say they will stay on the scanner until the coyote is in shooting range, and then switch. That could work but I prefer the movement to the gun to happen when the animal is further way to limit the possibility of it detecting my movement.

Also, if you shoot the first coyote and there are more than one, I don't want to leave my gun, use the scanner, get the distance, and then go back to my gun. For coyote hunting, a LRF on the scope or gun is my preference if I had to choose to have the LRF on only one device. The more a person is shooting at stationary targets and not multiple targets, the more having it on the scanner seems more logical.

... I forgot that you guys go hunting at night mostly alone. In this case, having the rangefinder on the thermal riflescope is certainly much better. I am obliged to go hunting at night accompanied by the gamekeeper, who can observe with the lrf thermal scanner and tell me in real time how far the target is ....., so I don't need the rangefinder built into the thermal riflescope ... .

Ernest, I appreciate the suggestion. Like Kirsch predicted I do prefer it on the rifle. That said I'd take one that works on a scanner over one on the rifle that doesn't. Worth considering for sure.

Funny you say you have a gamekeeper with you to call ranges. Every year hunting combined with a full work schedule gets tougher physically. I jokingly tell my wife I need to hire a full time assistant just to drag coyotes ect LOL I could add ranging to his duties!

Here in Italy, in the Po Valley (it is densely populated, it would be dangerous ...) it is forbidden to go hunting with a rifled barrel. You can only go hunting with a shotgun. Night hunting of hogs with the rifle is allowed only with a complex authorization for the containment of the species. So if I want to use the rifle I have to go hunting in the mountains (but the laws are very complicated there too) or I am forced to go hunting in Slovenia or Croatia. In addition to having a Croatian hunting license (which costs only € 70 per calendar year ...), for all foreigners who go hunting in Croatia, it is mandatory to be accompanied by a hunting guard (which costs € 50 per day plus the cost of killing roe deer, deer or hogs. Badgers, foxes and jackals are considered harmful animals and cost nothing ....). Surely if I were accompanied on the hunt by his wife .... in the end it would cost me more (LOL!). Blessed be your fascinating hunting, with the rifle, in solitude!

Last edited:
Well for anyone following this fiasco I finally got around to getting an RMA for this POS. Plan on listing it in once returned.

Hopefully iRay follows the disposable program like Pulsar and send me a new one. Either way I will be transparent and take my losses on the resale.

Originally Posted By: P&YWell for anyone following this fiasco I finally got around to getting an RMA for this POS. Plan on listing it in once returned.

Hopefully iRay follows the disposable program like Pulsar and send me a new one. Either way I will be transparent and take my losses on the resale.

Are you going to get the NVision XRF?

Back