First Night Out; iRay Rico MK1 640 50mm & ILR 1000. AKA Rico Trainwreck

250, my LR would constantly freeze up after nuc. I sent my XRF back for the last time about a month ago. First it was the calibration not working right out of the box essentially. Then it was the lrf. Apparently they don't update them when they take them back for repair. So I got my new $10,000 "repaired" scope back and it still wasn't working! Ksracer experienced his lrf being "updated" and still not working. His story sounded all to familiar so I jumped off the sinking ship.. and onto another one.

Originally Posted By: cmateraI'm where P&Y would be if he could have cashed out. I'm out of the thermal game. Too expensive, too unreliable. I said a long time ago, that I felt the technology was just not quite there yet (at least in the commercial market), and my feelings haven't changed. I'm not going to go out and freeze my 66 y/o stones off in the middle of the night to have a scope I can't hit my target with.

Couldn't agree more. I know some have had good luck and I'm glad for them. That said, I really doubt there's a product that can hold up for me. The brands I've tried are not ready for the field. I believe the companies know this and shouldn't be selling them.

Last edited:
I'm glad I stuck with pulsar. I have no complaints about my trail 2 lrf. I'm curious to hear how the thermion 2 lrf model pans out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I'm glad I stuck with pulsar. I have no complaints about my trail 2 lrf. I'm curious to here how the thermion 2 lrf model pans out.

Exact opposite feeling for me. The best move I ever made was getting out from under Pulsar. These issues aren't even in the same league and I'm not waiting 8 months for warranty work!

P&Y,
Sorry to hear of your issues. I've only had two. A trail XQ50 which had the well known problem of losing zero. It was great one year and sucked the next. They were great and replaced it under warranty with a XQ50 Thermion 2. This unit has been very good since I've received it. It shifted a small amount but I'll attribute that to zeroing it while it was warmer and using it in the winter. So far, so good with the Thermion 2

Bizarre how one guy can have such a delayed customer service response and the next guy an immediate response. Pulsar customer service has been great compared to Bering.

Last edited:
I have liked my XP50's from the first version up to the new Trail 2 version. Had a few issues but longest it took to resolve any was a couple weeks. Not a huge issue as I have a BO R35 for backup and 2nd scope when son's have a chance to come home and hunt. Shame what your going through. Kind of the "if not for bad luck I'd have no luck at all" syndrome. Hope it changes for you. I guess you could always go back to NV. Pretty bullet proof and at least you'd be hunting. Good luck.

Man, that's a bummer. I believe the last 15 Coyotes with my RH50 have all been in the Cranial Vault.
Get a Trijicon, just be sure to purchase an external power source since they can't seem to figure out the CR's are toast after 15 mins in our conditions.
Look into finding a Silencerco radius, they are around 1200 used, but that'll cure your integrated LRF issues.

Originally Posted By: DarknightHey P&Y, have you ever tried the Thermion line of scopes?

Yes, I hunted one season with a Thermion. It didn't hold zero well enough for me.

Skinny, funny you mention that. I missed three coyotes on deck tonight that I could have head shot with either of the NVisions I've owned. It's seriously like aiming at a fuzzy white blob in a sea of pitch black. I compared my 640 Rico next to my friend's 384 Trail tonight and his had a much better image.

Curious if you have the IRL and if it works? Also are you able to get your scope into standby mode? Thanks

Last edited:
Rico 3rd outing update. User error and poi change.

So I thought I'd keep anyone interested updated. First, after speaking with my dealer it turns out the menu button actually is designed to be pressed once to unlock it. A failsafe against accidentally pressing it and having the menu coming up when not desired. Good to know! This was not specified on the users manual but explained my ghost keying. Let's just call this one user error.

After missing the coyotes last night I thought I'd confirm zero and do a tracking test. It was about 30 degrees warmer than my sight in temperature. Shot a five shot group at 100 and poi was 3 1/2" low. OH NO good grief just when I thought I'd made some headway! Made adjustments, scope tracked correctly and I shot repeated sub 1/2 moa groups. Now before I officially say the scope doesn't hold zeo I'm going to triple check everything and put it back on paper again. This is only my first range session since sighting in so maybe, just maybe something else is amuck but I doubt it. Time will tell.

The other issues; poor (overly contrasted) image, zero eye relief, no standby mode, no LRF, ect, ect all persisted. To my dismay no coyotes were called.

My dealer directed me to iRay for an RMA. In looking at the website it appears the end user is responsible for shipping back, that's bs! They also require a copy of the purchase receipt. This makes me wonder about warranty transfer to subsequent owners. I will keep anyone following informed as things progress.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: P&YOriginally Posted By: cmateraI'm where P&Y would be if he could have cashed out. I'm out of the thermal game. Too expensive, too unreliable. I said a long time ago, that I felt the technology was just not quite there yet (at least in the commercial market), and my feelings haven't changed. I'm not going to go out and freeze my 66 y/o stones off in the middle of the night to have a scope I can't hit my target with.

Couldn't agree more. I know some have had good luck and I'm glad for them. That said, I really doubt there's a product that can hold up for me. The brands I've tried are not ready for the field. I believe the companies know this and shouldn't be selling them.

I'm going to give everyone on here some advice. My intent is not to be uncongenial, but helpful.

Thermals are electronics, you are looking at a display, there is no mechanical components making adjustments like a day optic, the only thing mechanical on them is the mount and how it is attached to your base.

Secure your mount, torque it to spec, possibly even a bit more, use lock-tite on your bolts/screws, just to eliminate the variable of a possible loose mount, especially when it's being subject to harsh weather swings, and abuse. We just went out last week in some -40, this week it's 60, a 100 degree temp swing can mess with things, but we have had solid luck with our units performing from one extreme to the other.

VERIFY ZERO, Often. I verify zero at least every other night. I learned that a long time ago, with Trijicon. I did it with Pulsar, I did it with old ATN's, I did it with FLIR, IRAY, Armasite, AGM, N-Vision, All of them.
I trust a thermals capability of holding zero, about as much as I trust my 8K dollar computer to save my Premiere Pro Project automatically... I don't.

Get over the mindset of thinking your going to zero you system once, then it's done. There is no easy way of doing things if you want to have repeated success. Heck I verify my brand new Leupold MKV's on our custom rifles every single time before we go make day sets, just to eliminate a costly error that can be avoided. Should I have to? No, but I can guarantee you this, it's saved my a$$ a lot more times than once.

NOW, I'm not saying you should have a blurry image, because you shouldn't, That's wrong, and should be fixed, unless you didn't properly adjust your diopter, followed up with your focus.
AND, I'm not saying you should have a zero shift everytime you power down, then power up.
WHAT, I am saying is pay attention, an optic that doesn't utilize mechanical adjustments is trusted only by digital memory, that I personally think can fail and is less trustworthy than mechanical.
When my autotrac goes down in my JD, I always have my mechanical folding markers.

Good advice and I think we agree.

I did not mean all the thermals I've tried shouldn't be sold solely due to zero shifting. They have all had some fatal flaw and weren't ready for the field however.

Skinny, not sure if you missed it but still curious if you have the IRL and if you are able to get the Rico into standby mode? Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. Thanks

Little info for anyone struggling with running a Rico: apparently there was a recent firmware update that changed a few functions (that I know of).

Standby mode is done by pressing the up and power simultaneously.

As I speculated previously the menu button now requires a double tap. The first press wakes the button up, then the second functions like you'd expect it.

Another reason to never bother reading or following directions. In this case they are wrong! LOL

Good luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: P&YSkinny, not sure if you missed it but still curious if you have the IRL and if you are able to get the Rico into standby mode? Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. Thanks

Sorry buddy, Yes Sir... We have had 3 of them on 3 RH50 units. Personally I think Iray did a solid by offering the MK1 series with the "optional" upgrade of the IRL-1000. So you're not paying for it, if you don't think you need it or want it.
I personally took mine off, and I will be honest with everyone here, it's not a very powerful LRF. I can hit 400 easily, but beyond that, it's a tossup. The set up isn't that bad, it's much easier with a man downrange to see the visible co-witness laser to calibrate it easier.

I'm not sure what firmware update you have, but we updated our firmware on our MK1's so that instead of holding the power button in until you get the countdown then release to "standby"... Now you simply "quick" press the Power button and the Mag button at the same time and it goes standby, then the same OP wakes it back up. Such a nice quick easy feature.

My above comments aren't meant to be harsh. I just want everyone to know how particular I am, maybe "anal" is the correct term when it comes to every single one of my or my guys Rifles Zero's... I don't mess around with them, I've seen and witnessed to many errors, to not constantly verify zero, often.

I'm here to help you fellas, and support you, not purposely contradict or questions some of your issues, I thrive on success, but primarily learn from the failures that I make. I know doing some of the things I say is literally a PITA, but right now there is no way around it.

SOON, there will be, I have some intel on a unit that's being developed that will personally be my, be all end all unit... I heard it will be out this year. I would love to keep you fellas posted here, and Have even offered the MODs a hefty sponsorship if I would be allowed to offer sales once again, and initiate a respectful, competitive market for Thermal and NV gear, as I have many goals for this new year, and ONE of them is contributing more to this awesome forum.

Skinny I'm glad you chimed in and I'm really glad to hear your trying to offer another option to members other than Nightgoggles, seems they have a monopoly here. I've said it on many many post that we need more dealer/prostaff presence here.

Back