Dog hanging out with Coyote ?

I think this might have been said before, but why not just shoot the yote, and if livestock is still lost, then shoot the dog? I would have no qualms about shooting a domestic dog, but would rather shoot a yote. Be at peace brothers! It was an honest and very simple question.

I went out to feed my horse this morning and heard 3 shots out back.

I look out and see my neighbor's truck about a 1/4 mile out on the ditch bank.

I jump in my truck and go out to find that he has killed the dog and thinks he hit the coyote. {Older guy with an even older pump 22}

We kicked around the brush some but found no blood trail or sign of the coyote. We did find a couple of spots with chicken feathers scattered all over.

I asked my old timer neighbor what he was going to do with the dog?

He jokingly said he was going to send it to the white house so
that Obama's philapino chef can cook it up for a state dinner.

Some interesting replies to my question. Thanks to all.

Only one that I would like to reply to......

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
lonO121
To the OP, the pictures are very interesting..not everyday you see that. With that being said you should not in my opinion post comments like " should i shoot both?" Stuff like this is a big no no to write on a hunting forum...the antis will eat that up and test our rights once again..do what you have to do and keep it to yourself. Other than thT great pics.
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

There seems to be a great amount of fear on this site about the "ANTIS".

As has been pointed out by some in this thread I am from California. We really are right on the verge of loosing all our
hunting and fire arms rights here in California.

If you know that, what you are doing is backed up by logic and common sense don't back down from it. Taking the week kneed, fearful approach will lesson your hunting opportunities. California is a great example of that.

My 2 cents, for what it is worth.

If it is wild and running with coyotes then is not a domesticated dog. Check your local game laws and see what they say.

I will tell you what I found out when I Googled this Question. It was from a "Ask an Attourney website.

Can I legally shoot My neighbors Dog if it kills My chicken?
Answer:
Re: shooting a dog

Do you really think someone is going to tell you it is ok to risk civil and criminal action by doing this?? You're going to have to decide if those risks are worth it, rather than calling the pound or police, then demanding payment for the value of the chicken. If the dog was attacking me or other people, I'd kill it in self defense without hesitation, and then maybe sue the neighbor. Killing your animal does not provide the same justification. The choice is yours.

Im not siding with one side or the other, but that is what I found.

ETA this was from a Lawyer in So Ca.

Last edited:
i had a pair of free ranging domestic dogs try to chase ME away from my coyote bait. they were both put down with a 22-250, the one took 2 body shots before it went down. about 3 months later the rancher who owns the land right near where i killed the dogs asked me if i had shot them. i hesitated but then said yes. he said "good, i had been trying to get them for 6 months". another friend had seen those dogs chasing elk on opening day of 1st elk season. the day i saw them, they were eating a deer carcass. yet the owner put up signs for missing dogs with a reward on every county road intersection for miles. i killed the dogs 8 miles from her house!
one ranch i had permission to hunt coyotes on, the owner instructed me to kill ALL dogs that were on his property.

Even though this particular dog has been eliminated the question and controversy of whether or not to kill a domestic dog is still a valid arguement.

A domestic dog is a household pet or working dog that is domesticated, taken care by humans and interacts with humans. A dog that hangs out with coyotes or other dogs that fends for itself and wants nothing to do with humans in not a domestic dog, it's a ferel or wild dog.

Ferel dogs are often more dangerous than a coyote since they don't always have the same fear level of humans. Ferel dogs are often found in packs.

Shoot a domestic dog? No. Shoot a wild or ferel dog? Yes.

Here's one for you guys;

Several winters ago, when we had a fresh snow-fall, I was out predator hunting by myself.
I was on state land, about 1 1/2 sections or about 1000 acres. There are a couple of houses around this land, and only one right up next to it, and the area I was hunting just happened to be within a half-mile of that house.

I was whited-out in my nat-gear snow-camo, and fairly invisible. As I sat, I heard something coming my direction, so I scooted around till I could see what was coming, and it turned out to be a very large chested mature husky with a blue collar.

He was walking, very determined looking, in an angled direction towards me. An easy shot.

As I watched him, he passed a couple of groups of deer, they saw him, and he saw them. Neither seemed to pay no-mind to the other, as if they had seen each other time and again. And I mean, he passed within 30 yards of the deer. He HAD to see them, being as they were tan, against a white background.

As far as I was concerned, this earned him a Pass.
He wasn't out to harass deer, as most any other dog would have done, He was patrolling what he considered to be his Territory.
I imagine if he would have found a coyote in that area, the chase would have been on-and guys, I just can't hold it against any dog for not wanting a coyote in their "Territory".

That dog then made a circle and passed me on the other side, that is when I went "woof" at him, and he took off sideways in the snow, freaked. No worries, he was about to catch my scent anyway.

The moral of the story is this guys, When I hunt a private place, I always ask if they have dogs. This usually leads to them telling me if I find any on the place, if I don't shoot them, I won't be welcome back.

If I catch a dog chasing stock, or wild animals, then the decision has already been made in my mind. Wether that animal has an owner or is feral, doesn't matter.

I do have morals, they're just high.

If anyone would like, I can post the local Sheriff's number, they can call and ask a generic question about dogs running loose, I'll just bet they say "Shoot 'em".

Have a Great Day!

Originally Posted By: lyotehuntergrowing up we had peoples dogs that would pack up and kill deer then go home to their owners at night i think they are worse than coyotes ever could be.

We have had the same thing here at different times. In the 70s there were 9 running together. when the bayed one of my dads walkers by my uncles house, 4 never returned home.
A couple of weeks later 3 more perished while chasing a neighbors cattle.
When those dogs were packed up, they were very aggressive to peeple at times.
It has happened on smaller scales since, and they are taken care of accordingly.

I see strays??? occassionaly, and let them pass the first time without question, even pits as long as they are traveling. If they are causing trouble ,then it's a different situation.
I would hate to kill some kids dog just for wandering around and not causing any problems.

It's a delicate situation that needs to be handled discretely, if at all.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: RustHunterSo do you guys think this dog is just hangin out watchin the yote eat the op's chickens???

Good question...guess we will never know now..

Originally Posted By: RustHunterSo do you guys think this dog is just hangin out watchin the yote eat the op's chickens???

I never saw where the OP said for sure that they WERE eating the chickens. He said the neighbor saw them in the back of their property. Sounds like a guessing game.

That kind of dog can be a bad to the bone stock and pet killer, and as has been pointed out has little fear of humans the way the Yote will, it will actually contribute to that Coyote being worse than they already are.

That being said said your county/state statutes on shooting dogs.

We had a pack of dogs around here that were killing a lot of sheep and goats, they were pats by day and killers by night (sometimes broad daylight).

When someone doesn't do their part as to keeping their dog on their property they lose pet rights.

We are training a lab to a shock perimeter now because he was going walkabout during the day, he was just visiting neighbor's dogs, but everyone has sheep and is real sensitive about dogs hazing and killing them. Some people get real sensitive about killing a dog, others say might as well save the trouble of doing it themselves.

The neighbor right across from me had a dog that was seen tearing up sheep, he had blood and fur around his mouth and teeth.

My point is that this dog is going to pick up bad traits from that coyote.

That dog was no chicken eater. Obvious by looking at the pictures the black eyed dog was stickily vegetarian. A corn and taters dog if there ever was one. Coyote looks like it prefers Tofu over poultry. Tofu is number one cause of white tipped tails in coyotes.

Edit: Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. When you say *kill the dog*, do you mean the dog with the black eye or the dog with the white tipped tail? Dogs are coyotes, coyotes are dogs. All very confusing.

Classic doggin right there!
thumbup.gif

We used to raise cattle next to town - literally - the city limits were some of our fences. From long experience, I can tell you that dogs are MUCH harder on livestock, than coyotes are. Dog goes first, in my book.

Just my experience, folks.

Mark

Everyone thinls their dog is good and causes no trouble. Pretty simple really if he's got a collar with a name plate on him i let him pass. Not many dogs with name tags are running loose because someone thinks something of them. Dogs running loose usually dont have a nameplate because the owner doesn't wanna be responsible for damages

That dog needs to be removed as well as the coyote. Guilty by association and probably teaching the coyote some new tricks. Here? we have the problem occasionaly. When someones dog starts roaming far from home and is seen? The owner is contacted and TOLD to restrain them. If the owner refuses?(it happens) and the dog is seen around live stock or harassing live stock, deer, antelope? Its gone. No discussion, no follow up with the owner; unless there is dead live stock involved. The best I've heard of was one particularly nasty dog who had been seen harassing live stock, killed a persons duck flock. The guy popped the dog and then hung the collar up at the post office note board. Sure enough, the owner spotted the collar and wanted to know where his dog was. All he got back was a bill for 30+ dead ducks. Differing laws apply where you live. Here? if its roaming, causing trouble, or, feral? Its gone, legally.

Here's my thoughts and you can take them or leave them.

If you're hunting someone elses land and a dog comes in and
you're not 100% positive it's feral or a problem dog, leave it
be.

Doesn't matter if it has a collar on or not.
For you town and city folks, the majority of farm dogs aren't
going to have a collar on. Main reason for it is they snag
them on underbrush, etc and then either the collar pulls off
or the dog can get strangled.

We use break away collars on our dogs and we have to replace
the collars and tags a couple times a year.

Back