Dangerous game rifles

I have had the pleasure of shooting the 577 3 1/4 inch, blackpowder, and would not hesitate to take on most any game animal with that double. I have found doubles that can be relatively affordable, compared with a worked over CRF big bore, bolt gun. If you are fortunate enough to have one fitted to you, recoil is very managable, as the stock really fits well.

The reloading dies can be a bit priciey when you get the credit card bill, and you didn't ask how much you were spending! Happened to a buddy of mine, didn't know it was gonna be 600 for the dies. Alone.
ohmy.gif

About 32 years ago I had the chance to fire a .375 H&H in a Ruger #1. Don't remember the details but only that once was enough! (I weighed only about 120 lbs. back then!)

During the General Rifle class I took in '99 from Jeff Cooper at the Whittington Center, I earned (in a shoot-off) the chance to fire a .460 G&A round out of "Baby", his buffalo-stomper bolt gun, but passed on it, as I was still skinny and recoil-shy (didn't want to develop a flinch during the class!). Looking back I wish I had fired it. Got the chance to do so again some years back with a duplicate of Baby owned by John Gannaway (if I'm not mistaken). Felt like a 3" magnum 12-guage. Cut a 1/2" wide hole through a 1/2" thick mild steel plate too.

Yeah sighting in a 458 win mag with Hornady 500Gr SUperformance ammo in a gun that weighs 7.6 lbs is a little tuff on the shoulder. It is fun though

Last edited:
I think if it were legal where I was hunting I would probably take my 9,3x62 loaded with good bullets. The rifle is a Husqvarna 640 built on a commercial FN 98 Mauser action, I have shot it quite a bit and am comfortable with it. If the 9,3 were not legal I would take a .375 H&H or Ruger bolt gun. The PH will have a suitable stopping rifle to back me up if required.

Bob

Originally Posted By: JJHPlenty of guys are going to tell you that you NEED a double in 300H&H as a starting point. But MANY large plains animals were taken just fine with a 7mm Mauser.

Don’t you mean a double in .375H&H or more likely, .470 NE? Who cares about a double in .300H&H. Don

Originally Posted By: getfoxyAnother reason was because of this post yesterday by another member- "The A-Bolt sure wouldn't be my choice for a dangerous game rifle, then again, neither would the 700 that I'm so fond of"

Just got me thinking- If americas most popular rifle isnt the first choice, then what would be?

The Reason the 700 is not the DGR action of choice is simply because it's a Push Feed, and Controlled Round Feeds, or CRPF's are the hot item for DGR's. CZ/BRNO, rebuilt Winchesters, and Rugers tend to dominate the DGR bolt action market in America at least.

As far as cartridge, the Ruger's are gaining ground very quickly, to my surprise. 416's Rig or Rem used to be very popular, but seem to have lost a little favor in recent years for one reason or another, mostly because they were so popular 5-10yrs ago I'd assume.

I'm in the works building two DGR's right now, one a Ruger, one a CZ. Both will be 458Lott, with "back home barrels" chambered in .338wm and 300WM.

One reason to go with 400+ cartridges is that certain countries require 400, vs 375". Frankly, I'd rather carry two DGR's, one primary and one back up, rather than carrying DGR and PGR. A .30-06 would get my bill as a PGR if I decided to take a 3rd rifle on the next trip, but I'd much rather have a back up DGR and overkill the plains game than end up with a busted primary DGR and only be able to plink plains game the rest of the trip - or spend a he11 of a lot of money 'borrowing' someone's DGR that I wasn't practiced with.

I use a Steyr Scout in .376 Steyr with a Trijicon reflex sight. Carry it with me in BC when fishing due to grizzlies. Very, light, intuitive and kicks like a mule. I’m sure however, should I actually be in a position to need it, I won’t even feel it

I like BobT's plan of using the 9.3x62. From my understanding they kick less than a comparable 375 H+H. If I was hunting dangerous game I'd definitely want something I could hit with. I read in a book at one time that thanks to it's effectiveness on game the 9.3x62 was an exception to the minimum of .37 caliber rule? Not sure if it was true then or now but if it's proven effective enough to get an exception made for it in the law it might be eorth looking at. Just a thought:)

Originally Posted By: jlutcher51Winny you seem to have a lot of info about this subject I would love to see some pics from your hunts

Karamojo Bell killed a lot of Afrikan "Big five" with a 7mm Mauser.

That does not make it ideal.

I am no expert, but if it can stomp you, gore you, or eat you... you better have the biggest and baddest cartridges (and that ain't no steeenkin; 7mm "mouser", 303 Br, or 308)...

... and hopefully, it has two barrels and two separate firing mechanisms.

And you have someone next to you, and they have the same kinda rifle!

I like BobT's plan of using the 9.3x62. From my understanding they kick less than a comparable 375 H+H. If I was hunting dangerous game I'd definitely want something I could hit with. I read in a book at one time that thanks to it's effectiveness on game the 9.3x62 was an exception to the minimum of .37 caliber rule? Not sure if it was true then or now but if it's proven effective enough to get an exception made for it in the law it might be eorth looking at. Just a thought:)

Back