Dangerous game rifles

getfoxy

I'm too often confused about what caliber/platform would be an ideal dangerous game rifle. Grizzlys up to lions and cape buffalo.

What platform would you go with? I'm assuming a custom? A double rifle? What caliber?

I'm not going on an African safari anytime soon but am curious as to what you would take

Plenty of guys are going to tell you that you NEED a double in 300H&H as a starting point. But MANY large plains animals were taken just fine with a 7mm Mauser.

If I had the money (alas, I do not) I would opt for a double rifle in at least .458 Win. If I really wanted to be cool, then a double in .470 Nitro Express. Two quick shots are hard to beat.

I have a Ruger Number One in .458 Magnum but here in Idaho anyway, we do not have an awful lot of free ranging cape buffalo or rogue elephants. It did work pretty well on a ground squirrel that I shot with it once. Did not need a follow up shot at least.

I am thinking a nice 458 lott would be good medicine for dangerous game. A guy could even put one together for a decent price.

I would talk with your PH if your serious, but I'm sure they would say minumium is 375 H&H, but a 416 Rigby would be my starter prefer a side by side 500 nitro or a 560 Navy or something with a good second shot. Talk with the PH's that actually do this for a living.

I have a friend that is an outfitter for African safaris and if memory serves me correct, he said there is a minimum caliber requirement of .35 or .37, I cant remember which. However, I am leaning toward the .37 due to the overwhelming popularity of the .375 H&H.

Side question (not trying to pick a fight but making an observation)- Getfoxy, you sure come up with a lot of threads on different guns and calibers. Are you planning on buying all of these different firearms or just creating an educational question thread?

Nope, I dont plan on it...maybe if I ever win the lottery.

Im intersted in all makes,models and calibers, and I like knowing what guns tend to fit in where and what the general concensus is.

Was that answer enough? Its beter than threads on the same caliber over and over wouldnt you say?

Another reason was because of this post yesterday by another member- "The A-Bolt sure wouldn't be my choice for a dangerous game rifle, then again, neither would the 700 that I'm so fond of"

Just got me thinking- If americas most popular rifle isnt the first choice, then what would be?

I've seen the .375 ruger being used more and more. But for me, a big 4 something would be my choice. Grizzly though, I think a 338 WM or so would be fine.

Originally Posted By: getfoxy

Was that answer enough? Its beter than threads on the same caliber over and over wouldnt you say?

So, you dont want another "Can a .17 HMR really kill a water buffalo" thread? JK

Agreed, learning about different calibers is really interesting. Especially when you learn about the history behind the caliber and why it was developed and what improvements they were looking for at that time. Can you imagine how much fun it was back around 1920 when all of these antiquated calibers were dominating the market and a guy realized that by necking something down, or blowing out a shoulder, the performance was greatly improved upon? Now that we have some great powders and endless supplies of wild-cat calibers that bit of re-invention seems to be less noticeable in the mainstream world, but it sure is neat to know how a caliber came to be

Ill pass on the 17hmr thread.

You pretty well hit the nail on the head. Most here know my love for the classic calibers. You know the old tried, true boring ones that no one cares bout anymore, the ones that were edged out by the latest, fastest...etc

Originally Posted By: getfoxy

Another reason was because of this post yesterday by another member- "The A-Bolt sure wouldn't be my choice for a dangerous game rifle, then again, neither would the 700 that I'm so fond of"

Just got me thinking- If America's most popular rifle isn't the first choice, then what would be?

My statement had nothing to do with caliber, or how popular Brand X is. As mentioned earlier, the game laws in Africa will help ya decide on a suitable caliber.
What I was referring to was the platform,,, IE; soldered bolt handles, push feed, double stack magazines etc etc.
Being the practical folks that they are, professional hunters in Africa tend to look for strength and reliability. "Strength" due to the larger caliber requirements, and the "reliability" part's pretty obvious.
Single stack, CRF bolt guns like Mauser's seem to be the choice for bolt guns, and again, I think the simplicity and reliability of doubles is obvious.
Not saying it's right or wrong, but that's what's been written by some of the famous Hunters like Rourk and Capstick.

OT,,, but the closest I've ever been to an African safari was meeting a Professional Hunter at a party a long time ago, who quickly corrected me when I referred to him as a "Guide". His exact words were, "I'm a Professional Hunter, a "guide" is someone that drives a tour bus".
Never made that mistake again. Ha

EDIT; Just thought of something.
Not African game, but I do actually know a very good Alaskan Brown Bear "Guide" that uses custom made BIG bore lever guns. From what he tells me, that's about all the guides up there use any more.

Last edited:
Although technically not a "rifle", I have an old H&R Topper in 20Ga that is in bad need of a new recoil pad. And I would consider it a pretty dangerous game rifle as it indeed kills at both ends
grin.gif
Not what you meant though huh?

I have touched off a few from some pretty heavy recoiling rifles in my short life, but this thing will rattle the teeth out of your head.

Chupa

I think you need a 300RUM,ha ha. Had to throw that in there for you Gary.

Seriously, 375H@H has gotten most of it done for many a year. I guess when you talk dangerous game though, is there such a thing as too big? Unless it's so big you simply cannot withstand the recoil.

I have read that many guides prefer that their clients carry doubles, because in a moment of panic, too many people "short stroke" bolt actions.

I see now where maybe the 700 isnt the best choice..Maybe one of the Rugers, or better yet like you said, a big bore levergun would fit the bill quite nicely.

LOL, no thanks Russ.

Back