Dangerous game rifles

"IIRC, many Cape Buffalo are culled with 303's and 308's, by PH's and Game Wardens.
Mark"

There you go. It is obvious that either are the correct choice for your first safari. Good luck.

Culling with teams with multiple guns from the relative safety of vehicles at 100 yards is one thing and a lone PH and a hunter on foot are a far different thing with a Caper at 30 yards.

Don't get bitter and act like a child, someone feels like hunting dangerous game such as Buffalo or Elephant with a FMJ 338 round, his 7mm, 06 etc... good luck.

Could you kill it, yes, sure, so COULD a 22, will you stop it from stepping you into a puddle of blood, no, no you wont.

Like is said, over, and over, and over again, there is a distinction to be made between a round that, will, kill something, and a round that will stop something from erasing you.

He didn't specifically ask for a stopper, but ideally, I believe you'd have to pick it, for whichever animal you pursue. Relying on your pro hunter is dangerous at best, puts everyone at risk.

I am not even somewhat close to an expert, this is a simple internet thread that has no real intent behind it, but let us keep reality in our thoughts here.

Shoot an animal with whatever you wish, bow, 22, 7mm, 50bmg, but when you aren't prepared for the worst and it comes, don't blame the people that you put in danger.

Spears were used for years, doesn't make them ideal, or the intelligent choice, horse and buggy used to be, THE mode, of transportation, doesn't make it ideal for cross country travel in today's world.

Above and beyond all this, if you can't hit what your intended target is, then Zeus's lightning bolt wont help you.

Originally Posted By: frozenbuttOne thing I always wondered and this may be stupid but how would a nice solid 12 gauge slug do on dangerous game? From what I have seen on tv most shooting is pretty close range. The energy transfer from a slug into what it hits is huge. Also you would have more than one or two shots to stop a charger. Besides elephant I just wonder how they would do thats all. I know black bear isn't much of a problem for one to put down quik. Just thinking out loud.

On thick skinned "dangerous game you want large diameter bullet (big wound channel); preferably a "solid" (deep penetration; and moderate to higher velocity (again, deep pentyration). A 12ga sabot fills two but not the third, velocity.

My cousin who is a guide in Alaska uses a custom Marlin Guide gun in .450 Marlin setup as described earlier wityh a larger lever rind, ghost ring rear sight and post front in stainless and synthetic stock. He switched after he found his 3" 870 12ga did not perform well until he hit a brown for the third time... As he said, "never again...need something a little bigger".

Last edited:
My idea of the perfect DG hunting rifle is a CRF mauser style bolt action chambered in either 9.3x62 or .375 H&H with a low magnification scope. Think Winchester M70 Safari or CZ 550.

If I was a Guide or PH and was routinely up close and personal with the likes of big bears or big cats, I could see wanting something a little more substantial like a .416 ruger, .404 jeffery or .458 win. mag., but as a sport hunter the smaller more versatile chamberings get my vote.

Just as there is a difference between varmint rifles and predator rifles, there is difference between DG hunting rifles and DG stopping rifles.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanJust my opinion but in the slant combed Weatherby stock, its worth about two to three broken teeth and a bruised jaw in a fast action mode.

In a straight back recoiling stock it would be a good caliber. Just not the ideal rifle for the purpose for several reasons.

A-MEN BROTHER! Don't know why so many manufactures think that drop in the comb is the way to do it...must be something to what folks "THINK" a DG Rifle is supposed to look like.

The .470 Double I fired, had no drop, and it was several decades old. They don't kick anywhere as much as folks would imagine, either. The modern Ultra Mags kick more, I think.

The first time a cape buffalo turns and faces you at 30 yards with snot running from his nose and it is mixing with the thick saliva dropping to the ground from both sides of his mouth, and his eyes are staring right at you as he paws the ground, you will quickly want to swap your DG hunting rifle for a DG stopping rifle. And your survival might depend on getting it done too.

A straight combed DG rifle stock looks nothing like a Weatherby rifle stock.

How much recoil you can shoot accurately is the limit of the power you can deliver on target. More power is useless unless you can shoot it accurately.
I am not especially recoil sensitive. My first centerfire was a 300 win mag. But my limit is a 375 and that is a struggle.

Very, very few people can shoot 40+ calibers accurately.

Lots of cases of even a 458 Win causing a detached retina.

Jack

i had the pleasure of helping my gunsmith sight in a 458 win mag... with him being 65 i got to shoot her... i was really excited to shoot it.. until i pulled the trigger... wow!!! lets just say the best i could do is 6 in groups @100.. imo to master the kind of caliber you will be beaten bruised and broke..

Originally Posted By: getfoxyWhy dont you see more muzzle brakes on the th ebigger rounds? Seems like a good brake would make it tolerable? I always wondered the same thing, when ever i'm watching a hunt on TV

Originally Posted By: getfoxyWhy dont you see more muzzle brakes on the th ebigger rounds? Seems like a good brake would make it tolerable?

This is only a guess, but....most people go for very traditional rifles when they choose a rifle for Africa. I think the brake would ruin the look for them. I was watching "Tracks Across Africa" one day and the guiy was using a red dot on his dangerous game rifle. It looked kinda odd.

Those clips prove that even the big doubles can't get it done if you don't hit the right spot.If I were going to hunt that kind of game I think I would chose a bolt gun in the big calibers traditional to that sport.The .338 lapua mag was designed to pass through three layers of body armor at 1500 yards.I don't know from first hand experience but I bet it would pass through most animals at closer range.My next door neighbor made several trips to Africa when he was younger.He has heads on the wall of everything except big cats.He said it just cost too much to get a cat.He gave me his Africa gun a couple months ago.It is a Remington 700 300 win mag.They shot the little stuff with a .243,head shots for meat for the local folks.He is a good shot and did study the anatomy of the animals and did not take bad shots,he said.

I kinda see the thing aoout brakes and it truly would ruin the look but still, it would be worth it to me.

I wouldnt want a bolt gun, too long to work the shifter, Id prefer a to be carrying a double, backed by several other doubles.

The problem with a braked DG rifle is you are usually not alone. Your guide or PH will pay the price for your using a brake. Way to much blast and noise, especially up close.

I've heard of guides that refuse to let their clients use a brake for this reason. I've stood near a .300 RUM with a brake and let me tell you it was quite the experience, something like that would really play havoc with your concentration if you had to back up your client quickly.

I don't know how wise it would be for the average Joe to use a double for hunting. I think you should use what your most familiar with.

So did anybody else see Tony Makris get smacked in the forehead and knocked on his butt by his 600 Nitro Express while hunting elephant on "Under Wild skies" this morning? He were a bleedin'
laugh.gif

Funny, I rarely ever watch hunting shows anymore and was just flipping through the channels, but that was something to behold. Fortunately he was fine, and nothing hurt but his pride. He said "it felt like getting punched by Muhammed Ali".

Apparently, he pulled the back trigger of his double gun first......

Back