Crow Sniping With a Rifle

THANKS!

ruger22mag.jpg

Fantastic post. I love to shoot crows with a rifle as well... pretty neat when you happen to get a double.. it happens occasionally & it's a blast. We target them on appropriate days when groundhog hunting as well. IT's all fun & feathers!

Image007-2.jpg

drilled these guys at about 235 yards with my 22-250 8 twist
Image005.jpg

I agree with Levi, that's a fine looking car, uh, rifle. I'll bet it shoots as good as it looks too.

Marco, nice rifle that Ruger. I don't mind the weight. Actually, I think a rifle with a bit of weight is better for holding more steady for precise shots. My little CZ 452 American is an accurate little number, but I wish it had just a bit more weight forward.

Thanks guys... it's a retired benchrest rifle- sleeved rem. 600 & yes it does shoot... high 1's & low 2's with a 68 grain Starke Red Praire Varmint Bullet that I hoarded up on before he went out of business.
Guy that painted it for me has a body shop... it looks fast huh..

leave the rugers at home and get you a savage in 22mag & 17HMR. those things just shoot.
grin.gif

when I was growing up on a dairy farm in west KY, I used to snipe crows with a 22LR and iron sites(loooong time ago). the crows would come in to feed in the cow troughs and I would hide in there. I had more fun doing that than anything else.

Great story and pics. Thanks for the post.

You've got that right, tgrif. Shooting crows with a rifle is just about as fun as it gets.

I even took a crow one time with a little Browning .22 short auto, the gallery model.

Ive shot crows with my .243s, high power 22s, rimfires 5mm 22 mags, 22LRs, 870 12ga. But when I shot my first crow with the 17HMR is was love at first trigger pull! I have always loved to hunt crows with a rifle I watched my dad and uncles do it years ago and if they had the HMR back 40 year ago they would say the same thing about the HMR I know they would. The rifle I posted a picture of is my VMBZ in 22 mag with an HMR stock, its had a trigger job thats it and wears a Leupold rimfire 3x9 compact EFR AO scope. Nice crow rig also. ~Marco

Great post 6. For many years I have enjoyed sniping crows with a .22 mag and a .17HMR. Calling them into range with a shot gun is great but taking one from their "safe refuge" with a rifle is awesome.

WVM

The blind offers concealment for camera operation. It is not needed if you aren't filming,
but does give a better opportunity for a shot.
Sniping3.jpg

[/quote]I was wondering do you put the Blind out a few days before the shoot or same day??

Last edited:
Both. I have put the blind out in advance and then the same day. If you find a good food source where the crows are feeding in early morning, then that's the place to be at first light. It hasn't seemed to bother them that the blind is there, even if I set it up the same morning.

One morning I found crows feeding at an area that's basically a dump. Someone had thrown out a deer carcas and the crows had found it. Naturally, I scared them away when I set up the blind (which didn't take 5 minutes) but they returned in about an hour and I got two shots.

Farming areas, especially where cattle are, are good places. The farmers will feed the cattle grain or hay, and crows tend to congregate in those places. I guess the hay has seeds in it, and then too, the cattle's hooves turn up the soil, exposing seeds and insects. If there is a lone tree near a barn, that's a good place since the sentry will generally sit in the tree while the others feed.

I have also set up the blind overlooking decoys and called with the Foxpro. Took a crow that way too.

This year is the first time I have tried the blind, and as I mentioned before, the main purpose was to get video and to conceal my movement with the camera etc.

Places like this are great for crow sniping. Notice the tree near the barn.

Barn.jpg

Here are two crows I shot with a .22 short HP, from a Browning auto. It's the gallery
model and only shoots shorts. Got these behind my house.

007.jpg

Last edited:
i likie using the blind over a fresh cut corn field
or scrap pile
or carcass
and using the air rifle i have gotten as many as 10 crows in 2 hours time just sitting the in the bling waiting
the gun is so quiet that at 10 feet it sounds like a can being opened so at 75-100 yrds i am sure they dont hear it

SS has met my son Connor, who is a natural born killer. Over the summer we used a Marlin .22 Mag that shoots into an inch with CCI 40-grain HPs, SPs and FMJ to whop about 10 crows that were feeding in freshly cut hay fields.

We'd take one or two a week, but the shooting ended when it all grew up tall.

Got a buddy who got an NEF Handi in .17 HMR specifically to shoot pigeons off his barn roof and crows around the 1,200 acres he works. It's a natural crow flyway along a river bottom and we are going to start whacking them heavy this spring with a variety of munitions.

My favorite crow kill to date was the huge bull crow I got in my backyard couple years back. He was walking around about 15 yards from the back door, so I slipped the old Springfield .22 out the back door and dropped him with a Aguila Super Colibri to the wingbutt. He dropped straight down on his belly, cawed once and died.

I called that one a Click-Flop!

P.S. 6mm06, that little Browning is cute as a speckled pup! What Leupold you got on it? Always wanted a Browning .22 Auto just never got around to it.

Last edited:
Back