cheap upper

thumb.gif

Quote:Ok, I want to know if anyone has figured out how to install a sling swivel on the "Cheap Upper". I want to be able to mount a harris bipod and a regular sling in the future.

If you can't find the forearm stud locally,,,,contact the Black Rifle Store in the link below... It's the new retail outlet for CMMG and they can send you one... The cost will be very reasonable...

Black Rifle Store

Originally Posted By: SmackerquackerI don't recall seeing any response to the M4 feed ramp question. What is the difference?

med_gallery_256_101_104012.jpg

Ignore bottom 2 pics. The top pics are a good example of M4 versus standard.

I got mine from UPS the other day and it pretty nice. Im new to whole AR think but love them already. The main reason I bought was for my sons Birthday. Now im going Crazy trying to decide on a scope for him. I put the 22 conv. kit in it. So i was wondering if I should buy a rimfire scope or a regular scope. Im going to switch it back to shoot .223. What would you guys do.Thanks

You don't have to go for the most expensive scope, but I'd go for a regular scope as the ones for a .22 are sometimes not built to withstand the recoil factors of the center fire cartridges...

On a 22LR I'd get a scope with AO that can adjust down to 25 yards. If you get a fixed 100 or 150 yard parallax, you'll see the crosshairs moving all over the target at 25 yards.

Or a Bushnell HoloSight, those are excellent for ARs.

I'm using a Buckmaster 3-9 on mine and not having AO is the worst problem in shooting good groups at short ranges.

GOT MY JSE UPPER LAST WEEK, PINNED ON A ROCK RIVER LOWER, AND WENT TO THE RANGE. AFTER SIGHTING IN AT 50, I SHOT 1 IN GROUPS IN A STIFF CROSSWIND, AND STOCK RR TRIGGER. ORDERD JP YELLOWS , AS THE TRIGGER IS NOT GOOD. WILL WAIT FOR A GOOD DAY AND TRY AGAIN. OVERALL I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY $335 TOY, LOOKS GOOD, AND FUNCTIONS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.

First "group" out of my JSE "cheap upper". My build definitely needs a RockRiver 2 Stage. I'm confident this upper is capable of much better groups.

4780490998_33d6e11205_b.jpg

Last edited:
Can anybody give more accuracy reports on the "cheap uppers"? I'm still thinking about one and a Plum Crazy for my first AR to see how I like them.

Shayne

I took it to the range this morning, with a few other rifles. With 55gr Military FMJ and 50gr Dog Town bullets and my loads, using TAC, I'm able to hold slightly less than one inch groups at 50 yards... If the trigger were lighter, and with a little more load development, I'm pretty confident that I could get the same results at 100 yards...

Considering the stiffness of the trigger and the fact that it is not a 'match' grade barrel, I'm pretty happy with it... I want to upgrade the trigger and try some 60gr V-Max and I'm pretty sure it will improve the results..The trigger is the most negative thing about it..

At this point, I only have a little over 100 rounds through it and by the time I double that, it should start smoothing out..

OT aren't you used to Timmeny triggers or the like though?

I know if I spend a few week shooting my 10/22 my groups shrink and it has the classic horrid factory trigger.

But, if I shoot my 700 that I tuned down just where I want it for hunting then switch to the Ruger I spend 5 lbs. of pressure contemplating if I took it off safe.

Not knocking you just giving trying to give a reference point for the fellow looking for a cheap setup cause triggers aren't cheap.

You're right...All my other rifles have match type, or at least light, triggers....If all I were interested in doing was popping rounds for 'fun' the current trigger would probably suffice....

But I'm somewhat anal about my groups and when there is something obvious that is what I consider a detriment, then I want to fix it...I'm going to try some lighter weight springs before I get too wild... I have a Chip McCormick in one if my lowers and I'm just spoiled...

OT can I just drop a good trigger in the plum crazy lower ??? or should I try the yellow springs first... it's a much cheaper way to go lol lol

Back