ATN X-sight --- Shipping to distributers

Here is a video tutorial on working with the X-sight onboard recorded video file in a Windows PC environment.

You may find it necessary to convert the file from .MOV to .AVI in order to play it back on your PC or reduce the size and work with it in a video editing program. Best part of this program Any Video Converter, is the cost = FREE

BB

I tested the limits of the Obsidian application through various scenarios today - using multiple scopes. Here are the notes and the video:

Throughout the test the 5x X-sight had a red dot in crosshair reticle and the 3x had a red full Duplex reticle.

Minute Mark - 00:30 to 04:36 - First I ensured that each scope (3x and 5x) synced properly to an Android capable tablet AND that the application could successfully turn off each scope remotely - SUCCESS NOTE I noticed the reticle from a previously synced 5x stayed onscreen throughout the duration of a separate 3x session this could indicate a problem sharing a single app/device across two separate scopes.

Minute Mark - 04:38 to 10:06 - Next I synced a single tablet to a scope and attempted to start a second session by initializing the second scope. The second scope never registered on the tablets Wifi list (it appeared to be locked out due to first scope being active). UNDETERMINED NOTE: X-sight users who have their Wifi activated (open) but not synced to a smart device could allow another user with the Obsidian app to take control of their device either knowingly or unknowingly.

Minute Mark - 10:07 to 16:22 - Next I synced a scope to a new tablet (Android capable) so I run through downloading and installing Obsidian and syncing for the first time. After a successful handshake between the scope and tablet (Session 1) I brought another scope and tablet into the scenario. I purposely didn't turn on Scope 2 and started the second tablet which registered Session 1 and was able to join the Session however when I attempted to control the scope I received an error "SESSION START FAIL probably device is busy by another client." FAILURE NOTE: If you had any thoughts of using a single X-sight to broadcast to multiple viewers on their individual phones the Obsidian app will prevent dual viewers or logins.

Minute Mark - 16:23 to 20:15 - Session 1 remains active and unbroken so I attempt to regroup and initialize scope 2 and create simultaneous sessions with separate scopes and tablets. FAILURE Note: The second tablet now joins Session 1 without the error but is not functional, so moreso to the early point that if you come to the range or hunt with someone who is synced already you will not be able to use your Obsidian application with your scope regardless of carrier or equipment - THIS may differ if you are running Apple instead of Android.....

All these scenarios are just testing the limits of the application, the X-sight is revolutionary in concept and will probably evolve to handle some of these advanced scenarios in the future however it is highly recommend that you train and practice using the scope in standalone mode to ensure a successful hunting or range trip.

BB

ATN rep Sachal commented today in another forum "We are releasing an update soon that would allow you to set up your own password for the scope."

Bennybone, I'm not sure I even understand the importance of all the Wi-Fi connectivity issues/reviews. I know you aren't a big fan of ATN and it doesn't seem anyone is unless they work for them.

I think most hunters who buy, will buy the X-Sight with one thing in mind. How does it work for night hunting. In my opinion all the other stuff is so much fluff and probably just degrades the real purpose and functionality of the scope. I appreciate your efforts but I expect 99% of the users here would rather see a night video clip. If a scope gives decent NV quality and can record onboard, then GPS, Geotagging, Wi-Fi, etc., etc., and so forth are just glamour to sell customers.

At least that's my opinion.

I'm one of the 99% DoubleUp. Not to take away from Ben's efforts, but my interest would be whether or not it's a good scope for night work. Haven't seen much to be able to tell if it is good in that role. I too think that all the wifi, GPS, Geotagging, etc. are a lot of fluff that I would not have any use for. Now if it had a range finder like the new Photon is coming out with, then it would be handy. As it is, I would just want it to show me a coyote I could shoot.

Can I tether this scope to the web thru my iPhone and watch YouTube videos in the scope?

I would also like to be able to Bluetooth my music videos in and watch them on split screen with the reticle screen in case get bored with Youtube and decide to do some deep woods jamming and hunt for a while.

Is there an audio out jack for my headset?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1loboI'm one of the 99% DoubleUp. Not to take away from Ben's efforts, but my interest would be whether or not it's a good scope for night work. Haven't seen much to be able to tell if it is good in that role. I too think that all the wifi, GPS, Geotagging, etc. are a lot of fluff that I would not have any use for. Now if it had a range finder like the new Photon is coming out with, then it would be handy. As it is, I would just want it to show me a coyote I could shoot.

The new Digisight will have the rangefinder and not the new Photon.

I haven't even used the scopes in the dark yet, the kids both have Flu so I am doing this from various parts of the house to pass the time.

Here is one more video showing difference in 3x vs 5x

BB

Last edited:
Thanks for all you have posted so far Benny, but I am in the same boat as others. I do not want to become an IT guy. I do not need all these bells and whistles. This x-sight only has 3 things that will make me want to purchase. 1. Proven night time use. How far in yardage will recognition be achieved on a coyote, cat or pig with the IR850 provided ? 2.How much zoom is useful before pixilation is to much ? 3. Ability to video and download from my scope to PC.
This is why they call this forum Night Calling. If it works OK for day hunting that is a plus, but most here want everything there is to know about this scopes night time use. Getting this information to the Night Hunters is what we need and want first.
Thanks for all the hard work and info you are providing and I hope we will see real time use of the X-Sight during Night conditions. Robert

Originally Posted By: Bennybone

The new Digisight will have the rangefinder and not the new Photon.

BB

That is quite right, sorry, I had Photon on the mind. DIGISIGHT is doing a pretty good development job on that range finder.

At one time I had wanted a Digisight and almost purchased one. One thing I don't like about it however, is that it sits a bit high above the bore. Seems that dedicated NV scopes are generally plagued with that problem by their design and large lenses. I really like the Photon's low profile. Not sure how the X-Sight will will sit. Trajectory can be a real issue with scopes that sit too high.

Bennybone, how is the X-Sight with regards to sitting low above the bore?

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Trajectory can be a real issue with scopes that sit too high.

Bennybone, how is the X-Sight with regards to sitting low above the bore?

5x atop my AR15 looks to be 2.5 inches above the bore

DSC_0420_zps2591f71e.jpg

DSC_0421_zps7c886f4d.jpg

3x atop same AR15, technically it should be exactly the same above bore center 2.5 to 2.75 inches

DSC_0422_zps1d6c3147.jpg

DSC_0423_zps3fe693b1.jpg

BB

Last edited:

Thanks for the photos. While it isn't as low as I would like, still it's not too bad considering other NV scopes.

Still not one video of the X-Sight being used for it's intended purpose (NV)? Makes me wonder why all the hype about firmware, zoom, etc. but video of use at night.

Something doesn't smell right. I mean, a company would have to work hard to do what ATN has done with regards to the release of the scope as well as video reviews. I'm like you DoubleUp, I haven't seen one single video (after all this time) of the scope's intended purpose - Night Vision.

Maybe we all are in for a real surprise and treat and I certainly hope so, but for now I don't buy it, nor will I buy the scope either until I hear and see some decent videos and reviews from hunters, down home boys like you and me.

Happy Thanksgiving all -

I have yet to hunt the X-sight at night, I plan on going this weekend. If I get a kill, you'll see a video.

If there is no action maybe I'll film a raccoon or something.

There were a few more X-sights that hit users hands this past week so soon we should start to see video.

BB

Happy Thanksgiving to you Ben and everyone else as well. Hope it was a great time for each of you. I had a great time with my family and have managed to gain a few pounds to work off. I'll do that walking the fields pretty soon.

I've had concerns for some time about the night capability of the X-sight and have expressed them till I think I've worn it out. I still don't see any night clips and I mmore strongly suspect there is some reason it is being avoided. I would love to have my concerns put to rest. Hope yuo can get some night recordings with yardage and lighting specs. All the day stuff I've seen is nice, but my old day scope glass has been doing just as well for years and will continue to serve me well in that regard. With quick dismount scope systems, it's pretty easy to swap from day to night scopes on one gun. I don't do it much, but on the gun I've tried, zero stays put for me. Not everyone has the luxury of multiple rifles, so it's nice to be able to do both with one scope. I Know the Photon can do it with the downside of lower magnification in the day, but plenty for me at night. With all the hype about the X-sight, it is a puzzle to me that no one has addressed the night time use to any degree.

Well, that's not too bad, especially at closer ranges. Looks pretty good. I think I like the black & white better.

I noticed some flickering in the early part of the video, not sure what that was about.

Also, do I understand correctly that when zoomed, it goes up in increments like 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 etc.?

Thanks for that Ben.

I had seen that video on youtube. While it was nice to see the deer, that really isn't the purpose of an NV scope. And while stills of hogs painted on plywood give some indication of how far one might see, there is a lot of difference between pictures and real animals. Hopefully at some point someone will post some videos of coyotes, foxes, bobcats, and maybe some real hogs hunted in the dark.

The video does make the scope look good, but I would like to see what it can do at longer ranges and with just ambient light. It looks like it doesn't do well outside of the t-20 light circle. I saw one other video of a hog hunt and the scope just did not show anything outside of the light. It also was not focused well. In the heat of the hunt, this would be the norm. I still have a lot of questions and I would like to see some more videos by hunters. As it stands, I don't see the scope as exceptional for night work.

Back