ATN X-sight --- Shipping to distributers

I am satisfied...that deer is 100 yards away and you can easily see the and count the points. Here in MI we are stuck with shotgun or rimfire so 100 yards is more than enough here.

This video is a pre production X sight not even for sale. I would think everyone is more interested in seeing post production and how it works at night under real hunting conditions. This should have been the FIRST thing that ATN should have done. I am too old for blind dates to find out what she is like.

When it comes to longly awaited, overtly discussed and highly promoted Ex-Sight -> May The Hype Be With You.
blush.gif

Thanks for posting that video. That is the one that I was talking about. If you notice outside the rim of the light field, you don't see squat ant at 30 yds. I would want it to be a lot better than that for night hunting. In this part of the country, a lot of our shots are at 100-150 yds and quite frequently, when calling, the coyotes hang up at about 200 yds out. It is nice to be able to see them at that distance, as you can sometimes take them out there. A lot of times, I just want to see what's going on out there. My Photon shows me. I used a Digisight for a while and that worked about the same for me. I would hope that the X-sight would be on par with those two, but I think I have reason to wonder about that capability. I just don't see it. Too much hype makes me a double doubter.

That you tube video at 30 yds was done by a guy who said he didn't have a good focus and wasn't an experience video maker. I appreciate that, and that's the kind of stuff I want to see more of. I want the real story.

I've been an advocate of time will tell on this scope, but it's been a long time and they still ain't tellin about night work. Be glad when somebody can give us an unbiased view of the scope. Wish 6mm06 had one to review. Then we'd know.

There appear to be some lens issues with the X-sight 3x. From what I've seen in the videos, it appears to be out of focus at all ranges and is non adjustable.

Originally Posted By: 1lobo Wish 6mm06 had one to review. Then we'd know.

I wish I had one to for testing too, but can't afford to purchase one just to see if it works well enough. I need to know that first. I guess I'll have to wait like everyone else and read reports of those who do get them before I turn loose of hard-earned cash.

Originally Posted By: norbsHere's one someone put on YouTube. To bad it's only 30 yards.

^^This guy needs to shoot a heck of a lot better.....IMO!

UPDATE: I don't want to hijack a thread, but I thought this information might be good for some comparison.
After originally posting the video of my home-made unit, I then uploaded a video of the Photon. While it was
loading, Bennybone posted a test of the X-Sight, so now we have the three scopes to compare.

Here is the home-made unit and some video I recorded recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeDDQDt7Tdw&feature=youtu.be

Here is a video of a recent hunt with the Photon. The target is a possum at 60 yards.
As you can see, focus is not good and I could not get it any clearer. On top of that,
I had white-out on two shots - not good for video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv6Smqp8Dw0&feature=youtu.be

Alright, so I spent an evening with the 5x X-sight.

I could spot a ton of deer in open fields throughout the night but couldn't register them on the scope - I'd say the deer were a good 250+ yards away. I had a pretty good video (at least 10 minutes of large bucks and does) but it was corrupted by the low battery error issue.

BB, thanks for the video update. Certainly answers some questions, while raising others. The skunk at 170 yds. was very impressive. Questions:

1. Is there a way to run the X-Sight from a separate rechargeable battery pack?

2. Can some of those many unneeded features be turned off to conserve battery drain?

3. Any idea of how much difference running a separate dvr with it's own battery would lessen the drain on the X-Sight batteries?

4. Have you fired the rifle at night yet to see how much whiteout happens at the shot?

Thank you for helping us to see the features and failures so far of the X-sight.

Last edited:
Hi DoubleUp -

I went looking for the biggest, nastiest, hog in the county BUT like most of my hunts it was just me, the skunk, and a new piece of equipment....

Answers to your follow ups below
thumbup.gif

BB

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpBB, thanks for the video update. Certainly answers some questions, while raising others. The skunk at 170 yds. was very impressive. Questions:

1. Is there a way to run the X-Sight from a separate rechargeable battery pack? At the moment NO. Not sure if the USB will carry a power signal back to the power supply. No way to test because none of the ports (microHDMI or USB) are live.

2. Can some of those many unneeded features be turned off to conserve battery drain? None of the gadgets were activated for my field test, no wifi, no gps, no coffee pot.

3. Any idea of how much difference running a separate dvr with it's own battery would lessen the drain on the X-Sight batteries? At this time, with no active ports working you are stuck with onboard recording. I am not happy with the port locations and my opinion is they are prone to breaking if connected to an external DVR. From a scienctific standpoint I think a test is warranted though to see how much longer the batteries last while abstaining from the REC button....

4. Have you fired the rifle at night yet to see how much whiteout happens at the shot? I didn't, however there isn't much technically different to make me think that whiteout would be different with this scope.
Thank you for helping us to see the features and failures so far of the X-sight.

Once again thank you BB. I'm sure all of us will be looking forward to more reviews from you.

So none of the ports are active? Will this iteration of scopes have to be returned to be updated or is it a matter of updating the scopes firmware? Any idea on when the onboard dvr might include the crosshairs? A battery test without recording would be a great help, thanks.

I and others would really love to see a night shot to get a better idea of how much whiteout will actually occur if you can arrange that for a future test, maybe on that beast hog you were hoping for. Lol

Benny, thank you for your time and effort in reviewing this scope. People like you and Skypup are very helpful to all of us! I wish I had you guys around when I bought my last car!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 5spdOriginally Posted By: norbsHere's one someone put on YouTube. To bad it's only 30 yards.

^^This guy needs to shoot a heck of a lot better.....IMO!

Terrible FOV too.

Bob and others - you're most welcome for the video, hope it is helpful to make a decision on the X-sight.

Here is another video posted by a user from the THF forum

NOT MY VIDEO

I saw that earlier tonight on THF, but thanks for posting the link over here. Seems at least with whatever he was shooting that whiteout will be a problem in the X-Sight at the shot.

BB, in your earlier video you mentioned that you saw lots of deer at 250 yds, but couldn't get them to register in the scope. Wouldn't that be a function of the IR lighting you were using? It seems to me that the scope should see, as far as the IR light will throw.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI saw that earlier tonight on THF, but thanks for posting the link over here. Seems at least with whatever he was shooting that whiteout will be a problem in the X-Sight at the shot.

BB, in your earlier video you mentioned that you saw lots of deer at 250 yds, but couldn't get them to register in the scope. Wouldn't that be a function of the IR lighting you were using? It seems to me that the scope should see, as far as the IR light will throw.

Morning DoubleUp -

From what I understand about digital night vision and this is a regurgiation of things I've read so bear with me.

The CMOS or CCD sensors host pixels which respond to light, the bigger the pixel size the more sensitive the response to light.

In an HD (high def) class sensor the number of pixels on the given space is in the millions so in order to physically fit the pixel sizes are small.

In a lower res system the pixels are bigger, maybe half a million fit on the same given space.

So resolution is a driving factor in the scopes sensitivity to IR light.

Therefore with the IR provided (ATN 850IR) and the one I have on hand (T20 style IR light) they are throwing light to different distances and at different strengths. While the T20 is known to be able to provide enough light for the lower resolution systems, IN MY OPINION, the X-sight is seeing as far as it technically can given the amount of light available.

SO YES you're correct, it is a function of the IR lighting I was using due to the design of the system.

The solution to seeing further out might be a bigger and/or more powerful IR light.

BB

Back