Are the .17cals really All That?

I try to reload for every firearm I own, but it can be overwhelming @ times. Maybe I should just load for the ones I shoot the most, to help in my volume shooting costs. Although I like my rifles to be the most accurate as possible & that usually isn't possible with factory fodder.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI need to get a shopping list of 17 supplies, my project is at the smith as I type.
thumbup.gif

Well if your making a list, then might I make a recommendation. Buy a 17 cal Saturn powder funnel! It makes pouring powder down those skinny little necks a breeze! Just one of the many reloading items that you already own but will have to rebuy for the 17s. Don't forget a new cleaning rod or you'll be pi$$ed when you realize you forgot something so obvious... Ask me how I know...

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI need to get a shopping list of 17 supplies, my project is at the smith as I type.
thumbup.gif

17 funnels are a must. I have a Saturn funnel, but wished I had bought a CRT. Plastic 17 funnels suck.
cursing.gif
A Forster Benchrest Seater die will be a blessing to you because it will eliminate pinched fingers.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: K22 A Forster Benchrest Seater die will be a blessing to you because it will eliminate pinched fingers.
grin.gif

Less runout too.

Redding type S + Forster seater = Nirvana

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: K22 A Forster Benchrest Seater die will be a blessing to you because it will eliminate pinched fingers.
grin.gif

Less runout too.

Absolutely!
thumbup.gif

I got my .17 funnel through Todd Kindler @ The Woodchuck Den. Figured I'd snatch it up while ordering some 30gr Golds from him. It is a weighted aluminum funnel ... not sure of the make though.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: K22 A Forster Benchrest Seater die will be a blessing to you because it will eliminate pinched fingers.
grin.gif

Less runout too.

True that! Now here's a little secret so long as you promise not to tell anyone... Look for an older set of Bonanza dies and you will have yourself a Forster bench rest seater die at at least half the price! I've got the redding comp seater and a set of bonanza dies for my 17. the bonanza seater die does just as good of job as the $90 redding and I think I gave $15 for the set on EBay. In fact I've also got a bonanza set for my 25-06 too. Great quality.

Agreed KVV

Kinda hard to find the old Bonanza dies in 17rem but they're around if a guy isn't in a hurry.
It's spendy but I set up all my rifles with a type s bushing die and a Forster FL set. That way I have the Forster FL die on hand when the shoulders need pushing back a tad and as with most mfgs, you can buy the set almost as cheap as a single die.
Wish Forster would make their new "Bushing Bump" die in 17. That would eliminate the expensive type S as well as allowing you to just touch the shoulder each time. The best of both worlds IMO.
Harrels also makes a sweet bump die that they hone to match your cases but only for the BR/PPC rounds.
frown.gif

Tim,
Are doing a 17-204? I seem to remember you pining for one on another 17 thread. If its anything like your other rifles I'm sure it will be a killer rig.
If so are you going to run a redding type s 204 with a .196 bushing?

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI need to get a shopping list of 17 supplies

Maybe some foaming bore cleaner

lol.gif

I use Wipe Out now, but it's not the foaming kind.

Took the 17 out shooting, got a few crows and a cat. Man, I love this gun.

When I was putting the first few shots threw it I used that Graphite in the barrel that Greg sent with gun. Should I use it after I clean the barrel, every time? Or is it for the initial break in?

Harmon

Update on my CZ .17 Remington.

I tried various powders, including Xterminator, H414, Varget and then IMR 4320. The first two did OK,
then Varget began to tighten the groups a bit, but the one that really showed promise was the 4320.

It was about to come a rain, so I managed to fire off two, 3-shots groups before I got wet.
Haven't chronographed it yet. Here's the results.

The .17 has been finicky with what it likes, actually frustrating at times. Hopefully it's beginning to settle in a bit.

Question:

Is there a powder funnel available that fits the neck tight? I have a plastic funnel, RCBS I think
(not the best one I realize) but at times I don't get it placed firmly enough over the case mount,
and have spilled powder as a result. Also, the funnel has such a short neck that I have to hold it
firmly in place. Just hoping there might be a better one out there.

Back