Are the .17cals really All That?

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYNope crazyfox270, you just end up finding something else you can't live without after each gets paid for and setup. Next you'll upgrade all your scopes, then handguns, shotguns, muzzleloaders, rimfires, and hunting trucks, and e-calls and lights, then you come back around to the rifles again. The best you can hope for is an understanding spouse with a good job who doesn't upgrade spouses as often as you upgrade toys
crazy.gif

Corey, you forgot to mention night vision !!

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Originally Posted By: ARCOREYNope crazyfox270, you just end up finding something else you can't live without after each gets paid for and setup. Next you'll upgrade all your scopes, then handguns, shotguns, muzzleloaders, rimfires, and hunting trucks, and e-calls and lights, then you come back around to the rifles again. The best you can hope for is an understanding spouse with a good job who doesn't upgrade spouses as often as you upgrade toys
crazy.gif

Corey, you forgot to mention night vision !!

.... or reloading

wink.gif

The kicker is all the extra reloading stuff you have to rebuy just to load for the 17's. New funnel, new cleaning rod, case trimmer, flash hole tool, etc. but in the end it's worth it. I'll never forget the first time I shot a coyote with a 17 rem... Priceless!

All of those new tools can be purchased inexpensively on Amazon Prime with free 2nd day shipping. I did it recently. No searching around stores, just order it all from the same place.

I use a Wilson.
The pilot and cutter are one piece plus you need the appropriate shell holder so it's a little pricey.
Well worth the money though, as it's the most consistent trimmer that I'm aware of.

Repete, I ordered the hornady trimmer pilot cutter from Amazon. Will that work or should I look at something different? I'm going with a .17 Remington just haven't found one available yet that my finances will allow me to buy. I like the looks of the .17 HH but the reviews I see for the Savage 25 have led me to believe I might have some problems with it. Any help or guidance would be appreciated and welcomed.

Sorry reddog, I should have looked at the link you posted. That would have saved me a little money considering I made 2 purchases yesterday from Midway for camo wrap and then the purchase from Amazon for the Hornady trimmer pilot.

D/\MN!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyfox270Repete, I ordered the hornady trimmer pilot cutter from Amazon. Will that work or should I look at something different? I'm going with a .17 Remington just haven't found one available yet that my finances will allow me to buy. I like the looks of the .17 HH but the reviews I see for the Savage 25 have led me to believe I might have some problems with it. Any help or guidance would be appreciated and welcomed.

I'm sure the Hornady pilot/cutter works fine in Hornady's trimmer but if you're asking if it'll work in a Wilson trimmer the answer's no.
http://www.lewilson.com/casetrimmer.html

As for the Savage in 17HH,,,, lots of bad reports on here and other sites lately. I'd pass and get a CZ or even a Ruger if you like Rugers. I don't but I'd take one over a truck load of those new Savages.
Keep looking what ever you do though. Everyone should have at least one 17 in the safe regardless of chambering.

Repete, I'm using it in a Pacific(Hornady) trimmer so I think I'm good there. Just called the local gunsmith at the farm store and asked if he could order me a CZ 527 .17HH and it should be here by Friday. He sarcastically remarked he was happy to see me order something other than a Savage. Gotta love when your gunsmith ribs you constantly. Thanks again Repete.

Originally Posted By: crazyfox270 Just called the local gunsmith at the farm store and asked if he could order me a CZ 527 .17HH and it should be here by Friday.

Sweet!
Post pix when ya get her set up.

Quote: Everyone should have at least one 17 in the safe regardless of chambering.

Preferably in my safe..............
grin.gif

Back