Anyone eat Squirrel's?

Originally Posted By: HideHunterVirtually any of the gound squirrels are edible.. and most eat quite well. Like any small game (especially rodents) they are susceptible to disease and it is probably best to use rubber gloves to dress any small game. That said - I'm 60+ - I don't use them - never have - never will - and will feel fortunate if it's a squirrel kills me (even better a 25 year old jealous husband).

It is often external parasites that carry disease so watch the fleas/lice - wear rubber gloves.. and eat them... and tell me how they tasted.. if it grows in Iowa I have probably tasted it.
laugh.gif

By far one of the funniest things I've read on this forum!! Thanks for the chuckle.

As for the topic at hand, I have also eaten many a squirrel in the past, and will agree that they can be somewhat chewy if you don't know what you're doing. You really can't go wrong with the pressure cooker method or the oven at 325 for a few hours. Eventually, the meat will become tender...

.. for the record.. more likely to be the squirrel.
frown.gif
Been married 41 years today.
smile.gif

As I said in that post: I've eaten most of the ground dwelling rodents in Iowa and though there aren't alot of meat on some - they taste fine. I *really* like young groundhog (I know - not a true squirrel, but same family ;)) Chipmunks are a little greasy. Yeah - I did.
rolleyes.gif

lol.. Well Hello Reb.. Welcome to the site. Bet between the two of us we've eaten more than we could count on fingers and toes. *Lots* of people's fingers and toes.
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
I have yet to find a way I don't like squirrels. Like hidehunter I to have eaten a chipmunk. Saw a gray squirrel by a downed tree and pulled up to shoot and he moved and didn't offer a shot. I saw what I thought was the squirrel stick its head out from behind the tree and let my old 16 gauge bark. Got a bit of a shock when I went to pick it up. I decided to clean it since I killed it and fried it along with the other squirrels. Wasn't half bad.

I have been eating squirrels all my life. In the south everybody eats squirrels. It is mainly the 'old timers' that cook the heads, to then crack open and eat the brains. My family never cooked the heads, but many folks used to. It's been years since I've seen anyone eat the brains. I have NEVER heard of anyone in the south getting sick from a squirrel.(Doesn't mean it's never happened, I just haven't heard of it.)

My family & most people I know &/or would eat with, cut them up into the common 6 pieces(5, if you discard the ribs)and roll in seasoned flour and fry. If they are older, tough ones you may want to boil or pressure cook a few minutes, then flour and fry. Mighty good when cooked right. The crust is crispy and the meat is tender and juicy. Then make gravy with the drippins. Mighty good eating, so be sure to have plenty to go around!

I also love the young tender ones smoked!!!(not grilled) The meat falls off the bones, even the ribs.---Ben Jimmy

Originally Posted By: Ben JimmyI have been eating squirrels all my life. In the south everybody eats squirrels. It is mainly the 'old timers' that cook the heads, to then crack open and eat the brains. My family never cooked the heads, but many folks used to. It's been years since I've seen anyone eat the brains. I have NEVER heard of anyone in the south getting sick from a squirrel.(Doesn't mean it's never happened, I just haven't heard of it.)

My family & most people I know &/or would eat with, cut them up into the common 6 pieces(5, if you discard the ribs)and roll in seasoned flour and fry. If they are older, tough ones you may want to boil or pressure cook a few minutes, then flour and fry. Mighty good when cooked right. The crust is crispy and the meat is tender and juicy. Then make gravy with the drippins. Mighty good eating, so be sure to have plenty to go around!

I also love the young tender ones smoked!!!(not grilled) The meat falls off the bones, even the ribs.---Ben Jimmy

whats your favorite rub to use when your smoking them? been wanting to try that this year. thanks.

Rusty hill, I'm sorry I didn't answer you sooner. I just use Lowry's seasoning salt & pepper. If I have a good steak rub on hand I'll use that. Just season to your liking, nothing special. After seasoning I rub on some cooking oil or hit them with a spray or two of Pam cooking spray so they don't dry out. If you are smoking a roast or chickens, etc., just throw the squirrels on too. Keep an eye on them as you don't want to over cook them. You want them to cook long enough to be tender, but don't leave them too long. I can't give you a 'time' as the size & age factor in & the younger they are the more tender they will to be. You can 'cup' a piece of foil under them to help keep them from getting dry, but don't seal them up. I don't cut them up if I'm smoking them. Good luck!---Ben Jimmy

Sure thing Rusty. I hope you enjoy them, it's just plain food for plain folks. But don't let the secret get out. No joke, when done right the meat will fall off the bones.---Ben Jimmy

Back