Anyone eat Squirrel's?

DR, thanks for the welcome. Last year or so, I've become re-infected with squirrel-hunting fever!
grin.gif

I've hunted all my life, and used to squirrel hunt a lot, when I was a kid. Then deer hunting, hog hunting, bear hunting, and a couple of African Safaris, with my son got in the way. I've also become quite enamoured with single shot rifles, and last year, aquired a little H&R Sportster .22 rimfire. Well, the rest is history......
grin.gif

At 62 yo., I see myself doing a LOT more squirrel chasin' over the next few yrs.

Maddog

Strange question...but how many people would one squirrel feed? I have never heard of eating squirrel, but i think it would be very interesting.

Originally Posted By: Sam I AmStrange question...but how many people would one squirrel feed?

One squirrel will feed 4 teeny-tiny people.
Normal size people usually eat from 3-6 squirrels each at a sitting, if they go really light on the gravy and dumplings.
grin.gif

we eat around 10 messes a yr. we used to make squirrel gravy then I married my wife and she started making squirrel and dumplings out of them. Its one of my favorite meals. I have also heard there great to make Brunswick stew out of but I haven't tried that yet.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Sam I AmStrange question...but how many people would one squirrel feed?

One squirrel will feed 4 teeny-tiny people.
Normal size people usually eat from 3-6 squirrels each at a sitting, if they go really light on the gravy and dumplings.
grin.gif

Unless your in Texas I hear the squirrels are big enough to eat several people at a setting there!!

http://onthepatio.typepad.com/on_the_patio/2006/11/squirrel_shot_d.html

Originally Posted By: steve alexander[beeep] I thought everybody ate squirrel. Where I live squirrel hunting is big 1000.00 dollars for a good trained squirrel dog is cheep.

I use a squirrel dog. nothing more fun then that. and its been the best way I have found to get people started into hunting who didn't think they was going to enjoy it. everyone I have took so far has loved it with my dog.

Originally Posted By: steve alexander[beeep] I thought everybody ate squirrel. Where I live squirrel hunting is big 1000.00 dollars for a good trained squirrel dog is cheep.
Same here thought everybody ate em.

Killer thread, hunt'n squirrels for the table is a passage of rites between thge generations with country folk, I'll take hunt'n squirrels over a deer hunt any day of the week.

Cook'em any way ya want, fried like chicken's hard to beat, any way yo can fix rabbit you can fix squirrel, fine eat'n.

When I was a kid we used to hunt and eat them.

My cousins were able to just ugly them out of the tree. By that, I mean my cousins were so ugly they could just look the squirrels in the eye and yell "BOO", the poor squirrels would just die and fall out of the trees. It was the darndest thing. I asked them how they figured out how to ugly them, and they told me that my aunt Jenny "their mom" taught them. So I asked if ole Aunt Jenny was any good at it, and they say she was really good but had to stop. When I asked why she had to stop, they told me that as she got older when she ugly-ed them it caused too much damage to the squirrels and would tear them up too badly, so she gave it up.
laugh.gif

Season opened today here in Colorado and it found me on top of the mountain at sunrise. I have a 2 year old lab and we went and had a blast . Limit is only 5 so I'll have to get a couple more limits to have a good meal. Got lucky today as all of them were this years young so they will make a fine meal..

I cannot seem to find any of them in the mountains here as of yet. Just a bunch of those pesky chipmunks. I sure would like to give it a try this year.

Back