Anybody here use dog for Coyotes?

Tony , my dog OBE did the same thing , kinda learned what i wanted by himself . he still sits close on all stands and very rarely will get much farther out then about 20 yrds when walking, and will always come back to a lip squeak. I really screwed up with him when he was a pup ( about 6 months old) he went calling for the first time with me and 2 other guys , when the coyotes we were calling saw him from across a big draw they were on a string to get to the dog that was killing the rabbit that belonged to them .The guys started shooting and scared him to death , i remember how he came to me for protection and hid under my legs . It took me a couple of years to break him of the gun shy thing but now he knows when the gun goes off its time to use his nose or go get a reward . I still to this day will not hunt him with another shooter except my 10 year old son , im afraid someone wont keep track of the dog and harm him . for someone thats going to start a dog i highly recomend one on one only for the first year or two , lots of praise and very little correction ,Make it fun for them, the dog will figure out what you want from it over time unless its just plain stupid .( i have one like that also , but its my wifes dog ) LOL. The main thing is train your dog to stay close and make sure you can ALWAYS call them back , that way they most likely will not get hurt .

Originally Posted By: Chapped LipsOriginally Posted By: emeraldterriers1... what kind of damage would a bobcat do? ...
emerald, my experience happened back in the middle 60's with a yr old greyhound...Victor killed the cat but Victor looked like he had gone thru a wood chipper...a sweet but relentless companion...
also,it was his first kill on anything that fought back...it happened in salt cedars along the pecos river...the others greyhounds got lost but Victor didn't...just he & the cat...

interesting, what would of happened to that one yr old greyhound on a coyote (his 1st kill)? that coyote would of whipped his [beeep].
this was the point i was trying to make cats are thinned skinned wimps compared to a yote,i bet Victor would of handled him easily with another season or 2 under his belt.if the other greyhounds hadn't got lost (2 or 3) most run 4 dogs here, just guessing, you would probably had pieces of cat from them pulling it apart.here is a pic of a 24 lb tom and the 2 dogs that were on it, the white jrt is a soft backside grabber but a excellent locator.the blk/tan dog is a jagd/jack cross that doesn't mess around. this cat was taken in a brushpile 3yrs ago. the white dog bayed the cat(never making contact)but probably help distract him, the other dog had him throttled by the time i got to him.neither dog was beat up, they have taken way more damage from a big coon.
garden094.jpg

I use my wifes pomeranian alot he is slighty bigger then most of his breed and looks alot like a red fox. I have posted pics of him on here before coverd in the blood of several coyotes he has tracked down and found for us,some of you might remember seeing those post. He goes with us about 65% of the time. I have seen a yote or twenty that will see him walking around out in front of our stand 60 to 100 yards and think he is a red fox,well we all no what that means they come very pissed off to say the least. I never go with out him when my partner cant make it, this little guy can see them coming for what seems like miles. I will post some cool pic's of him later. In my opinion every time he has been with us he has been i huge help and he loves to do so no mater what tme of year.

Alot of this depends on the breed of dog, agression of the dog and the coyotes your hunting. If you have an agressive dog come fall durring pup dispersal you will have some coyotes shy away from certain breeds. Size matters!!!!

I have a kemmer mt cur she is not very agressive and is a decoy dog for the most part, others that have curs have some agressive males and will kill a coyote but sometimes the female backs out before you get chance.

Durring the fall when young coyotes are out and moving I can do as well without a dog as these coyotes have to be experianced to the call, shoot 1 and the others come back quick enough with sounds.

Also if you run into an agressive pair of coyotes too small and those that lack agression can get bit up pretty good, again depends on the age class and agression of both the coyotes and the dog.

The last thing those young pups want is a confrintation with someone who resembles pa coyote, and might cause them harm. Coyote populations are different and so do the useage and expectations of the dogs being used and how they are used.

I like a dog for denning season as agression is at it peak time ofyear with coyotes and they lock in and alot will stay locked in, but you still get some no matter dog or not if they wind you or don't feel comfortable about the situation will back out.

If your going to get a dog decide what your use and expectations are, but durring the fall some of those dogs are going to hurt you and not help you, when calling to the largest majority of different age class coyotes of the year.

He is a cool looking dog. I thought he kind of looked like a miniature Airdale. I don't remember what they are called though, but yours is looking sweet.

Nice cat by the way!!

So would I be correct to make the assumption that some of the dogs you guys are using are house dogs as well? I live in Missouri and am just getting into predator hunting, so I don't know what breed of dog would be best and if it could be a family dog as well or if it needs to be kenneled and used solely for hunting. Thoughts?

i wouldn't know why, a house dog might be a better decoy than a kennel dog. if you read back through a few posts i would say control is the most important factor involved.thus being more time you spend with your hunting buddie the more he/she will understand what your after.the next thing i would concentrate on is prey drive, too much of that i think will spoil your hunt.

My pom sleeps at the foot of our bed every night. I think the reason he works so well is that he listens and also not scared of anything and looks like a red fox great combo i think

That's very reassuring to hear. I'm a dog lover and would hate to leave my companion in the kennel outside all the time. With such a variety of dogs that you all are using it sounds like maybe I could use my retreiver?

Ryan, there are much more experienced guys here than myself on this subject, but in my opinion, almost any dog will work if the situation is right.

Obviously, a great dane or another great big dog might intimidate some coyotes. Also you don't want one so aggressive that it will chase them out of the country either as that defeats the purpose.

If you just let your dog run around within eyesight where coyotes will see it as they respond to your call and then get it to come back to you or distract their attention enough to make a shot, you'll do fine.

Just take your dog and see what happens. The first time I took my trapper2 pup out, I had 3 respond. Only 2 wanted to dance with the dog, but I experimented with moving just to see what would happen. They looked at me and right back to the dog. It buys you some time and movement that you might not otherwise have.

Good luck! By the way, where are you located?

I just watched "Coyote hunting is going to the dogs" One of the ones recomended from this site. It was a good DVD to see how it should work. But they didn't really cover training your dog. It look to me though, that if you have a ever taking a basic obedience class with your dog, you probabbly rely on those commands, you would probabbly need to add an intial release command, like go hunt, which I wouldn't think would be too hard, the big one would be for them to come back in when you were ready. Looks like a lot of the rest of it is instinct. This is all coming from what i have read, and seen, I have absolutly no experience actually implementing it, other than owning 4 dogs, and spending a lot fo time training them.

emerald...i was just give'n ya my only experience involving a single cat on a single dog...i was 15 or 16 at the time...proud that my young dog didn't get diverted...proud that he didn't flinch...worried that his injuries would be his last...they weren't-Victor healed nicely....i don't even recall how big or small the bobcat was...the men i was out with gave Victor plenty of praise (these were men who did not keep a dog that didn't pull its weight)....we probably had 7-8-maybe 9 dogs with us...we always had a bunch...
as far as Victor get'n stomped by a single coyote you have to understand that desert coyotes aren't in the same weight class as ur kansas coyotes...Victor was speedy...long and tall...not the best on quick turns but he killed several coyotes by outrunning the rest of the greyhounds and breaking the necks of his coyotes...(his first coyote was a group project)...he didn't even worry'em when he was done...he let the others do that...the old men would comment that that was highly peculiar...just my experiences.

Last edited:
i meant no disrespect to victor or you, how big are desert yotes?(never been there)we do get some big ones 40lbs but on avg probably 25lbs here.the one thing i'm 100% sure about a coyote is by far more rugged than any cat iv'e been around.between calling and working terriers iv'e taken close to 50 cats, not alot to some but quite a few for our area.i've taken three times that many coyotes(only one with terriers and that was not planned)lol.

10700, my dog gets used on alot of different stuff but decoying is cleos main deal and she sleeps on the couch or in the bed with my 2 1/2 year old son, so i dont think theres a thing wrong with them being a house dog, i figure the more time you are with a dog the better they will be, ryan

Excellent thread, looks like I'm getting to it a little late.

For those of you who've said a dog will cost you more coyotes than they bring in must not have read any of the Bubba stories. Do a search on "Bubba" and you'll have a days worth of reading, at minimum.

It's good to see these discussions in the predator hunting forum. We have them on a routine basis over in the hound forum so maybe some of you will break out of the routine and check out the hound forum as well.

Dogs aren't for everyone and can be very frustrating at times. The initial process of training a dog to the point everything is second nature can be trying, but that's the case with all kinds of hunting with a canine companion.

This will be Bubba's 6th season and I can say without a doubt he's the best addition to my predator hunting arsenal ever!

Oh, the ADC guys told me the same thing. I quote: "Leave the dog at home during the winter months, he'll cost you more coyotes than he'll get". I'm hard headed and tend to find things out myself! They were wrong!!
wink.gif

Back