Anybody here use dog for Coyotes?

tt2.gif

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you, Jerry.

My point is, a coyote size's up it's prey or foe very quickly. Thus, the female coyote in my hunt story. Catching & kicking the Greyhound's butt. After he had caught her intially.

If a lone dog doesn't get a quick throat hold on an adult [fresh]caught coyote, while in a fight. That dog will pay for it's error.

Last edited:
Kirby , I know your right about that ,It would take a total submission hold for sure . I am very carefull with my dogs , A coyote is like a buzz saw when they mix it up with a domestic dog , If a pair of domestic dogs against a single coyote it might be a winable fight but a single against a single would be a ask whoopin for sure . I guess the domestic word has alot to do with that .

So let me get this right. If i have a trained decoy dog on stand with me all year long i'm going to increase my kill numbers vrs, not haveing a dog with me. This must be the silver bullet everyone has been hideing for so long the great secrete..LMAO If haveing a dog along was such a great asset then everyone wouldbe doing it.. Sorry but i'm not buying it...

170+ coyotes for its first year out..RIGHT!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TA17rem Quote:Tim, you are right. Buster really hurts our numbers....LOL.
Like i said it may have something to do with how high the population is in a given area. nice bunch of coyotes by the way. So now we know how many a dog helps to get so how many have you lost haveing the dog along and what time of year was the pic taken??? Also are you useing the dog to decoy them in or is it sitting by youre side till after the shot???

Tim,

He sits beside me on the stand until I send him out. (or Barbara's)

barbbuster-1.jpg

If a coyote comes in and we shoot it, I'll send him out & he'll go to the coyote that's shot, dead or not while I play the KiYi.
This gets more coyotes they may have come in, whether we have seen them or not, to come investigate what's going on with the dog hurting their buddy, so to speak.

If a coyote is coming through the stand, or has been shot at and missed, I'll send him out to make a circle. He won't get out my sight, then comes back in, with the coyote behind him....thus affording a shot at one.

Jerry is absolutely right about having an aggressive dog running at coyotes spooking them. Buster hunts WITH us, and aids in all sorts of ways with what he does. Not to mention that if we shoot multiple coyotes on the stand he takes us to all of them without us leaving one unfound.

If we make a dry stnd, he'll just sit and hunt by my side & I'll never send him out, so, I don't think I lose many.

The dogs size has something to do with how the coyotes are intimidated as well. Buster weighs in at 45 pounds, and they aren't intimidated by him. I have shot coyotes that were watching HIM and not me, and even coming into where he was, so, he doesn't scare off coyotes like that either.
It just takes some work to get a dog trained to hunt the way you WANT him to hunt. Once you get that, you will increase the numbers & opportunities for shots. At least we have.

Barry

"170+ coyotes for its first year out..RIGHT!"

Where did you get that? I must have missed it.

Actually, that number is way LOW for what Barbara & I got with Buster the first year he hunted with us.
wink.gif

Please also be aware that Jerry has killed more coyotes than the plague, and is VERY knowledgable. If he's saying something here, it's worth listening to.

You (or anyone) can expand your knowledge, and have better sucess as a hunter if you keep an open mind.
It might be that sometimes those saying something might actually know what they are talking about, and don't rely on repetition of things they have heard on the internet for their basis of fact.
wink.gif

I know those numbers may sound severe to you and your experience with coyotes, but out here, it's an avg. year for a good hunter that pays attention to the conditions and hunts WITH the environment he is accutely tuned into.

Barry

imho everyone is right,what it boils down to is the type of dog.rockinbar has a dog that will decoy, track... everything he is looking for. i don't know this dog from adam but i would believe he is a baying dog not a hard charging hound from [beeep].i think that is the difference. you have a dog that doesn't want fight you will be heads up already,on the other side you have one that thinks he/she can whip the world they will run a single yote out of the section or have to "put up or shut up".my terriers would not make decoy dogs,1st if in a one on one my dogs are to small,2nd they wouldn't back down, (dead dog).that pup dasher is moving would be the dog to have,enough size to keep her out of trouble,enough leg under her to get her out of trouble and hopefully enough brains to keep her out of trouble.rockinbar stated he has seen some housecats bring a 'bad' dog to his knees, which i'm not doubting but a hard dog will eat a house cat and not stop to belch.same as a coyote,a cat weather it's a house cat or a bobcat doesn't have anything on a yote... claws yes, power no ,staminia no, will to live once it's caught no.iv'e taken bobcats out of brushpiles that were not wounded,,ready ,to rock and roll and have a 18lb terrier smash him in minutes.a coyote would turn the table in a heartbeat, the terrier would get smashed.i got off the subect of weather a decoy dog is the way to go or not but i do know it has alot to do with the dog if you decide to take the plunge into decoying yotes. good luck!

Those of you that have trained your dogs to hunt...

How did you learn/work the process. Are there any good books/DVD's on the topic?

There's some good DVD's out there, and better advice on how to train dogs in the Lions & Hounds Forum.

I started Buster on jackrabbits with his instncts to hunt coming in as well.

It's all about making the dog know what is expected of him, and keeping at showing him what you want, being patient, letting him have fun, and not beating on him goes a long ways too.

I still work Buster on rabbits during the off season. Keeps him interested & obeying commands. He would rather hunt coyotes though.
grin.gif

He was gunshy as pup too. I think most pups are intimidated by gunfire at first. You just have to show them the fun starts after a gun goes off....Now when I grab a gun, he's excited to go hunting.

Barry

After reading Mike Grainger's and Bubba's post I too thought that I would try my hand in taking a dog along.

My friend and I took my blue heeler out to see what she would do. It was a real foggy day on top of the mesa that morning and we started in on the rabbit calls and Sam was just wondering around like dogs do. Noone really expecting too much on a day like this. All of the sudden this real nice male see's Sam and locks in on her. He stood there watching until I let loose on the rabbit call and lip squeked Sam towards me, that was all it took. He closed the gap from 450 to about 150 in a matter of seconds. Sam never even knew he was there. He was trying to get down wind when I ended his career. Unfortunatly, Sam did not like the gunfire and she would jump out of the truck and run towards town....but that was my fault, I had never introduced her to gunfire before that day.
I have a GSP that I think would do fine, but I think I really like Tony's Gunner dog. I might be entertaining the thought of getting a dog like him. Gus is a fine bird dog and his hunt drive is unlike any dog I have had before, but I don't know how he would be. I will be willing to try him out though. He is good with voice commands and will not move once he is whoa'd, until released.

My one and only experience with dogs. Hopefully I can get to get more education with a fine hunting dog like the ones that these guys have around here.

Just my .02.

gonzaga

Tim, you are right about EVERYTHING that's posted here needs to be applied to the geographical area you hunt before wading in. Whether it's calling, or other info, it needs to be applied the right way with how you hunt where you are.

Gonzaga, it was about a year of work before I felt Buster was ready for the field.

When you take a dog out "to se what it'll do", you usually end up disappointed.

TA, I think that you need to realize what Tony does for a living and not a hobby like most of us. I tend to believe him and his numbers.
If you don't believe this fine, but check out some of Mike Graingers post with bubba, there are SEVERAl out there.
Sometimes we have an impass and tend to just disagree and you might have that at this time. I myself think that the proof is in the pictures. By the way, my buddy has been using his little Australian Shepard since she has been about 3 months old. He has had very good success because the coyotes lock in on the dog and not him, not to mention that she picks up and warns him about coyotes coming in to the stand. She does a little growl when they show up.

Well said Tim. (minus the part about me.
smile.gif
smile.gif
)

Seriously, a dog is a great calling tool, but you are absolutely correct that they are for only those whom are dedicated to the training and time spent on stands.

My number isn't any stretch. It's alot of hard work to train a pup and I was dedicated all summer long to put fur in front of him while the iron was hot in his learning phase. Numbers add up quick when there are 5, 6, or 7 coyotes in a group. All great learning experiences for the dog.

I was always intrigued with Mike and Bubba's stories. I was sure that I wanted a decoy dog when I moved to NM. Once I hunted with Barry, Barbara, and Buster...I was convinced that I needed one. I won't call a stand without Gunner....unless it's the upcoming World Hunt where it isn't allowed.

Tony

Gonzaga,

What's really cool is, if you get a "good dog" you won't need to train him much. Gunner doesn't know any commands except "come" and "freeze". I whistle sharply and that's his cue to come. A quick "Shhhh" will freeze him when he wants to run out to a coyote and I want him to stay.

Other than that, there are no other commands to "control" him. Everything else, like sitting still on stand, watching for coyotes, decoying, retrieval, etc... is all instinctual to him. He watches on stand better than most men and can spot a coyote pretty quick. Believe it or not, he actually walks way ahead of us out to a stand and sits down next to the biggest mesquite bush or cactus that has a good vantage point. He picks alot of the stand locations. When on stand, he faces the downwind side as his post to watch. I didn't teach him that...he just learned that is where the coyotes will usually show up. He's pretty adimate about it and hard to budge him from sitting on the sunny side of a bush, if it's the down wind side.

Tony

Originally Posted By: emeraldterriers1... what kind of damage would a bobcat do? ...
emerald, my experience happened back in the middle 60's with a yr old greyhound...Victor killed the cat but Victor looked like he had gone thru a wood chipper...a sweet but relentless companion...
also,it was his first kill on anything that fought back...it happened in salt cedars along the pecos river...the others greyhounds got lost but Victor didn't...just he & the cat...

Last edited:
Back