Annual Groundhog tally for 2012

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYAs promised Dave. Hopefully this will take a few hogs this summer.
243 build

Sadly enough, I saw real estate signs at my groundhog haven Saturday night. I hope it was some kind of mistake
cry.gif

i know what you mean about losing property to hunt. Next to impossible to find new places up here to hunt. Thought about coming down your way this year, but seems like your luck is as bad as mine.

i might have to start going back to Preston County for ground hogs and coyotes.
frown.gif

dave

BTT
Post'em ladies and gents! I'm seeing some pasture poodles as I'm working out in the countryside. Trigger fingers are getting itchy all around!
Post up some pics, and maybe the Mods will put a sticky on this thread for the year!
Corey, is that rifle all ready to go?
F1

F1, not quite yet. Between the Honey-do lists, bad weather, and predator hunting, I can't seem to get range time and get a load settled. I decided to go with the 87 V-max instead of the Berger VLD for cost reasons. I got three 100ct. boxes of V-maxes on sale for $20.99 each compared to $35 per 100 on the Bergers if you can find them. At 100yds they had similar results on paper and I know how the V-maxes can pop a chuck. I have a little more load testing to do then I'll work the dope chart out to 500yds in the field and plot my dope past that. My first load test with the Bergers had a .3" group at 100yds and 5 shots at 2.1" at 300yds. I think that 300yds group can shrink a little. I picked up a beauty of a Remington Model 7 in 17rem a few weeks ago. I'm sure it'll take a chuck or two this summer as well. We'll call it fur testing for next years foxes
wink.gif
PICT0359.jpg

I found out that the farm I hunt is indeed for sale in part. Apparently two of the pastures I take a lot of chucks out of are sold and change hands next month. The owner is trying to hold onto most of it, but the Government wants their unfair share and he has inherited the land leaving him land rich and money poor and unable to pay the inheritance and property taxes. I'm hoping for the best, but I guess I'll be knocking on doors trying to get some new ground. The new owner of the two pastures has denied me permission in the past. I hear he has a team come in and blow them up with oxygen/acetylene rigs. I heard the booming for years and never knew what it was, now I know it was unsportsmanlike conduct. But hes's a farmer for a living so I get it. I'm likely to start on the two sold pastures early to get what I can before things change and I get the boot.

Yeah, you might as well mop up what pasture poodles you can, while you can. As far as the 17 Rem. on foxes: they will still take a fox apart, unless you can find a bullet that won't exit! You'll still have to avoid the point of the shoulder, to cut down on splash wound holes. Foxes are just fragile critters! A 17 Hornet might help the hides survive a little better
thumbup.gif

F1

I got 200 of the Berger 25gr. "Target" HP flat based bullets. I did shoot a feral specimen at 45yds with the Remington factory 25 gr. HP and hit him in the grinner. No exit and the bottom jaw was just a little extra floppy. I think the 18.5" pencil barrel is going to humble the cartridge to 17 Fireball or less speeds. Worst case is I fall in love with the 17 and have to sneak another one home for foxes in another 17 cartridge.

With corn being the cash crop I've been giving a very short window on the 2,000 acres we mostly hunt . Sludge was to be spreaded this month only thing that has stopped them was the rain . I hate to shoot this early but i was informed if you dont we will gas . I try to mange my fields im not interested in #'s i enjoy having hogs to shoot at ! thirty acre field i have over 14 holes that are freshly cleaned and 1 other farm we have over 20 cleaned holes . We set the shooting table up 2 weeks ago 20-30 mph wind gust missed 1 hog 3 times at a little over 200 yards was that hogs lucky day and my partners bad day i suggested get all the misses out early . been shooting the xp 100 ppc thats going to be the new close range ghog gun with the Kelbly 6.5 x 284 being the gun after 250. We went Saturday thinking wed see 1 or 2 after the rain saw nothing. Guest we will be scouting out new land this year .Did get hold of a large farm over in Greene county off of 29 might be promising.

Shot one with my 222 about a month ago, but tonight marked the official start of the season for me guys. Hit mid-70's here today and the piggies were out everywhere. This one this evening fell to the 22-250. He never saw it coming. Crossed a fence row, extended the legs of my bipod, took a seat, dialed up from about 12 to 24 power, adjusted parallax (shot was between 200 & 300 yards - didn't range it, should have), and waited for him to turn broadside. Boomzzzsplat!!
I hope to get out at least once a week this year, but you know how that goes... probably won't happen.

I did a little shooting with fellow member Chris1017 with my 243 and his 260 Savage custom. We tried our hand at 485yds on groundhog sized water containers and a 12oz soda bottle to practice for the little ones. I plan to hit a few fields I'm about to lose next month, so I was glad to get the rifle worked out. The dope for my rifle was spot on. I had only shot mine to 312yds previously and used the Vortex LRBC software to get the rest of the drops. Looks like the 87gr. V-maxes have the best bang for the buck and got there with 6.5MOA of adjustment. Chris didn't have his final varmint load yet, but the 140VLDs and A-maxes sure did a number on the plate. Enjoy the video.

Well I told myself that I wasn't going to start the season this early but with the awesome weather we had on Saturday I couldn't resist any longer.I kept looking outside and telling myself to wait for a few more weeks but it was no use.
At 3:00pm I grabbed all my gear(or so I thought)and headed to one of the farms I hunt. Got loaded up and started up the main lane. I noticed the cows were in the right pasture fields and thought "perfect", I was hoping to be able to hunt the pastures to the left of the lane. As I was walking I would stop and glass with my binos for potential targets. After a couple hundred yard walk I stopped and glassed the knoll that I planned on shooting from and noticed a poodle feasting on the green vegetation there.Guesstimated the range to be about 150yds. and sent a 40gr. his way. DRT!! First one of the 2012 season down!!

Got set up on the knoll and about 20 min. later I noticed one looking out of his hole about 100 yds.away. Put the cross hairs on his head and squeezed.Two down.

Sat there for about 30 min. and saw one by the far fence line. Reached for the LRF in my chair bag and it's not there! Again had to guess and thought it to be about 380-400yds. Got in position and held about 12" high. Missed. Could not see the bullet impact so not sure how close the shot was.

After another 20 min. wait I saw one feeding by a big trash pile about 275-300yds. Thinking that I overshot the last one I held right on the top of this one's back and let one fly.Heard the hit and saw the surrender flag come up. Three down. Saw a total of 9 ghogs that day. Not a bad start to the season.

I also forgot my camera along with my LRF so unfortunately no pics. I promise to take some from here on out.

Dave

Good shooting Dave. Doesn't look like you had any kinks in the old trigger finger from this winter. I'm guessing these were victims of the 204. Don't you just love the first few outings when you realize half your stuff is at home
rolleyes.gif
?

Thanks Corey.Yep it was the 204. I love that little round. Felt like a lot longer since I last pulled the trigger on my Savage.I'm still trying to get a good load worked up for the 223 and I have to get a scope for it also.Seems like the older I get the more I forget!!
cursing.gif
I was more upset about forgetting my camera than the LRF.

BTW nice shooting in the video.
thumbup1.gif

Dave

Originally Posted By: wsurugby10Roughly when do you guys start hunting ground hogs? I guess I'm asking when do they wake from their long slumber really. I HAVE SEEN THEM OUT FOR TWO WEEKS NOW GO GET THEM.

The weather has been unseasonably warm and the sod puppies are out everywhere! One farmer started ringing my phone two weeks ago, asking me to come out and kill his groundhogs, but I just couldn't get out until this week. Thursday was my anniversary, so I didn't have much time before the wife got home, but I made a hasty trip to one of the fields the farmer was talking about. Hogs were out all over, but safe shots were few! I killed three in about five minutes with the VSSF swift... no pics, not enough time before I headed home.
Yesterday afternoon I returned to the same field and there were lots of targets available, but again, not many safe shots. Since it has been so dry, I pulled the truck into the field for a better and safer angle, and shot four in about 20 minutes with a little A bolt Micro hunter in .223. Ranges were from 136 yds. to 280 yds. I went for for four, picked these up and left to check on some other properties.....no additional hogs taken yesterday after that.
Yesterday's piggies:
Sowsnightout039.jpg

They are out there boys and girls
thumbup.gif
go get some and post 'em up! This makes 8 for me so far.......
F1

I'm 1 behind ya should have been 2 ahead but i dropped 2 missed yesterday at 350 yards + - 10 yards . Did connect with 1 542 yards , 2nd 1 this week 500 + . The 2 i missed i didnt take time to let them stand up i miss figured and i believe i shot right over them . Oh well I 'm enjoying the 6.5 x 284 for long range shooting 142 grainers 3,000 fps + - 50 fps. Shes a Hot Rod for sure

Last edited:
Jim,
I sneaked out between rain showers this evening and popped another one with the pellet rifle! #9!
The 6.5x284 is real popular with the 1000yd BR folks, and the tactical long range guys. It's a heck of a cartridge, but a little rough on barrels so I've been told. What would scare the heck out of me is the potential for ricochets with the .264 bullets. East of F'burg, we don't have enough hills for a good backstop most of the time! I have a good friend that wanted to go groundhogging with me years ago. He wanted to take his custom 308 he used for LR matches. I wouldn't take him because I was afraid of where those Matchkings might end up!
Over in Orange, Madison, Culpeper, and Rappahannock where I hunt, it might be different, but would still need to be extra careful! There's tons of shots I don't take with the swifts and 204, just because I don't like the background! That is why I've never built a fast twist swift or 6mm!
Keep whacking them!
F1

Drove 3 hrs round trip to hunt for 2hrs. Gotta love this spring weather. Saw 3 chucks and nailed the first at 80yds and flipped him good with an 87gr. V-max. Saw a second chuck. He was in a bad spot and I couldn't take a safe shot. He was 300yds and I couldn't get a safe angle on him due to cows about 300yds behind him and a road. The third chuck showed up right before the storm hit. First shot was high right. Thought it was 474yds, ended up being 464yds with a hard down angle. Shot high, should of held 6 MOA instead of 6.25 MOA. Creased his back on the second shot after realizing that the scope was canted from being on the side of the hill on the first. Got 1 drop of blood at the hole and no other sign. He did a nice dance on his back before hitting the hole. This was my first trip out this year. I did trap one back in January giving me 2 confirmed for the year. I've got until April 1st to hunt the spot I was on today, then it changes ownership.

Flyrod ,

Yes it is a screamer . I'm luck Ive got a couple of farms that i can get some long range shooting in . And the + side is it's 1 or 2 groundhogs on it . We are hunting the same counties I have quite a bit of hunting property in Western Spotsy on and around the lake . Actually its a groundhogs hunters dream . I have always shot 6mmm's I shot the 6 x 47 Lapua for a year or so then I shot the 6PPC all last year . I have the 6.5 dailed in at 500 the 6ppc panda at 300 and i purchased a tricked out XP100 6ppc pistol that i'm toying with now had a leupold 2.5 x 8 didnt like the extended eye relief so just picked up a Burris 3 x 12 pistol scope and havent taken time to switch the 2 out. Guys i normally dont hunt this early but i was told if i dont killm he will with the bombs . 2+2 = hunt now

I've always started shooting groundhogs in March just because my trigger finger started itching uncontrollably from Winter's rest! This was mostly on croplands, and I'd save pasture and hayfields until after their first litter was up and moving just to preserve the resource.
Farmers nowadays just don't tolerate critters digging in their pastures and darn sure begrudge every bean lost to groundhogs and deer! It's become "shoot 'em or lose 'em" on most of the places we hunt. We have some farmers that humor us by not poisoning the groundhogs, but only if we're obviously making an effort to shoot them asap!
Right now, I'm having good luck in fields that were in beans last year, but they are about to be planted in corn in the next couple of weeks. We all know that means shoot them now, or you lose the opportunity for the year.
We just don't have as many hayfields and pastures that have decent groundhog populations as we used to 20-40 years ago, and it's too bad.
F1

Originally Posted By: ARCOREY

"Creased his back on the second shot after realizing that the scope was canted from being on the side of the hill on the first."

I had misses like that and always chalked them up to a bad wind call (they look the same), until I bought a scope with a bubble level built into it. I was amazed at how often I was canting.

About 25 years ago, I took a course in VLR shooting, and part of the course was for the students to aim an (empty) rifle at a odd shaped targets that had no legs, or the legs were both deliberately off at an angle.

On the empty rifle, was a curved builders level, kinda like this one...

http://www.huide-level.com/en/productsmore.asp?pic=322

... in a small frame - and it was over the scope, and the back was blocked so the bubble could only be seen from the front.

Well I gotta tells you, we (the students) would swear we were plumb.

On flat ground we could be off up to 6 or 10 degrees on either side.

And on a hill, we'd be off 10 to 18 degrees towards the down hill direction - and when aiming at something that was near a edge, like the top of a ridge on the other side of a valley, we would ALL line up the horizontal cross hair on the top edge of the ridge.

I thought it would be impossible to be that far off...until it was my turn
frown.gif
frown.gif

It was amazing - people will line the cross hairs up with ANY straight line (like a tree trunk, a fence post or a target holder leg, or the edge of a ridge)... even if that straight line is leaning over at a slight angle like 10 or 12 degrees.canted.

Now I have bubble levels on all my long range rifles - I have used the ones that clamp on the scope, but now my favorite is the little B-Square that mounts on a Weaver cross slot, or Picatinny rail.

Back