Annual Groundhog tally for 2012

Jim , I believe I have seen what you are talking about with the groundhogs and yes these animals are very aggressive with other male groundhogs . They do fight each other often over food and location.

Just got back from a week's visit to OH late last night, visiting our son, pregnant daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.

Decided to take a chance and see if the ghog I saw driving by was out on the property where I got the double two weeks ago. Sure enough, it was out grazing so I pulled the truck on to the shoulder of the interior road, pulled the 17 HMR from its case and loaded the clip holding four 20 gr XTP bullets. I ranged the distance at 105 yds, laid the crosshairs on its head and let fly. Smack! Dead hog! Looks like about a year old, non-nursing female.

IMGP0001-008.jpg
IMGP0002-009.jpg
IMGP0003-005.jpg

Next I drove over to my friend's farm just up the road with the intent of trying to get the ghog that lives under a shed in the barnyard. About a half hour into the wait I spotted one standing up by the plow where I got one several weeks ago. I'm thinking to myself this must be a pup as it just stands there watching me lower the boom on him. And that's exactly what I did. Thirty yard shot.

IMGP0004-003.jpg

Stuck around another half hour hoping the shed hog would appear, but no such luck. Hasn't seen the last of me!

Went home and cut the grass.

Some of the groundhogs I've shot lately have had some sort of dermatitis, on parts of their head or body. They have seemed healthy otherwise. Some of it seems to be scarring from fighting with other groundhogs. It seems to be more prevalent since the pups are getting bigger. Unless they're really gnarly looking, or oozing, I pick them up and tote them out of the fields for a group photo, then deposit them for eagles, buzzards, and coyotes to snack on!
I picked up another new place on Thursday afternoon and hit the beans just right! All shots were between 140ish yds. and 293 yds. All shot with the 204:
pigdamage054.jpg

There are five in the photo. I killed another on on another farm with the pellet rifle at 36 yds, but I didn't want to try to straddle the electric fence
scared.gif
to get a picture!
BRB and I went Saturday afternoon in the Culpeper area, and BRB's fist attempt wasn't so good! A smallish adult came out in the farm road at 281 yds on it's way to some new beans. BRB got set up on the roof of the truck....and missed! Right over the piggy's back. He was taking down his gear, when the piggy came back out! BAM!...another miss over it's back! BRB is pissed now
cursing.gif
! That should've been a chip shot for him! It gets better....the same piggy comes back a third time! BRB says "you shoot it!" I grabbed the swift out of the back seat, climbed up into the bed, and busted that piggy
thumbup1.gif
#38.
With BRB still exhibiting signs of having a bad day, I drove to one more farm in hope of catching a certain groundhog out late. The hog was on top of it's mound at 420 yds exactly. I've ranged that hole complex dozens of times over the years, so I knew how far it was. I told BRB this was his "redemption shot" take it! The breeze was from our backs, with a slight right to left drift. BRB turned the 55 grain SBK loose, and it looked good to me! We took the walk and verified the kill. BRB had his #5 and the third longest shot of his groundhog career. His day ended on a positive note, but I had left the camera on the 'puter desk
thumbdown.gif

F1

Dogbone - you seem ontrack for another good year. How many did you get last year? How come you haven't broken out the 204 for more shots?

Flyrod - great looking flat land! You're numbers seem good too. Think you will have a record year?

Originally Posted By: Thomas MarangoJim , I believe I have seen what you are talking about with the groundhogs and yes these animals are very aggressive with other male groundhogs . They do fight each other often over food and location.

Welcome to PM Thomas!

Eric

Looks at this nasty critter I shot last month.
eacce082.jpg

Originally Posted By: wahoowadDogbone - you seem ontrack for another good year. How many did you get last year? How come you haven't broken out the 204 for more shots?

Funny you should mention that cause I was thinking the same thing the other day. Having so much fun with the 17 and the head shots, but need to give the others some exercise too, like the 204 and 22-250. Will have to do that when we get back from another week of travel.

Got 21 so far this year. Seems way down from years past, especially the ones when I was on them at the golf course. I would have that many in a day.
w00t.gif

BRB and Flyrod, you guys are getting after them for sure. See, persistence pays off.
thumbup.gif

"Flyrod - great looking flat land! You're numbers seem good too. Think you will have a record year?"
======================================================
No way in this day and time could I even approach my all time record! There just aren't the groundhog numbers in VA that there used to be in the late 60's and early 70's. I'd like to get to 100, but that's doubtful, and only one fourth of my all time record! Once the beans get too high in the next few weeks, things will slow down drastically!
We killed 72 on one little 66 acre parcel a couple years ago, and the place is almost sterile today. Unfortunately, that is the way things seem to be shaping up. The farmers tell us to shoot them or they'll bomb them, and when we comply by shooting them early, we work ourselves out of targets. The farmers are happy, and usually stop taking the time to poison them, but it forces us to acquire more and more places to hunt.
F1

I have averaged around 40 - 50 groundhogs per year the past 10 or so years . I'll agree i'm hitting mid 40's as we speak and i'am a little concerned if I have been working on them a little to hard . I talked to farmer and he was telling me of another local farm that is full of groundhogs. Before hunting yesterday I drove over to these newly cut Barley fields .When i pulled up I had 2 within 50 yards looking at me . What i have noticed is yes i have worked harder and longer this year but i'm seeing the local guys not wanting me to drift very far from home grounds for hunting . i'm seeing the farmers are very willing to work with you I have them calling as soon as they are cutting the fields and are now offering to bushhog around the edges so i can shoot the 1 coming to feed on the beans .

2012 season

??? on the # ive seen
??? on the times i have shot
??? on the 1's is have missed can say more than i care for or should have .
most misses was no excuse
542 yards longest shot this year with rifle.
220 yards to date on the pistol
Killed between 40-50 this year
Shot maybe 50 times
last groundhog killed 6/18/2012 around 7:00 PM

Originally Posted By: DogboneOriginally Posted By: wahoowadDogbone - you seem ontrack for another good year. How many did you get last year? How come you haven't broken out the 204 for more shots?

Funny you should mention that cause I was thinking the same thing the other day. Having so much fun with the 17 and the head shots, but need to give the others some exercise too, like the 204 and 22-250. Will have to do that when we get back from another week of travel.

Got 21 so far this year. Seems way down from years past, especially the ones when I was on them at the golf course. I would have that many in a day.
w00t.gif

Here's and example of a day's harvest at the golf course several years ago.

IMGP2850.jpg

There's even a muskrat in there!
thumbup1.gif

Got a phone call on Monday from the head groundskeeper at the golf course I used to shoot at fairly regularly in years past. He said on Tuesday they were repaving the cart path on one of the three nine hole courses, that it would be closed all day and I could come on over and try my luck.

After some errands I showed up about 11, grabbed a golf cart and cruised the 9 holes for a couple of hours. Guess the adults were looking to grab a few more winks cause the only thing out were the pups. Used the 17 HMR again.

IMGP0004-004.jpg
IMGP0003-006.jpg
IMGP0002-010.jpg

The last one insisted on posing for the shot, the picture that is, with a little help from me.
shocked.gif

I missed one twice yesterday at 570yds with 2 different rifles. My buddy ranged him and I setup with the 243 and had a hard quartering to wind. I dialed up the shot and let it fly and held right about 2.5MOA for wind and got no indication. He didn't see anything either. Something didn't add up, I missed the whole field. I then turned, dialed back to 140yds and shot at his 11" plate, not even close. He ran in the house and grabbed his Savage M10 Target in 260. This thing is a tank. It has a McGowen 28" 1-8" twist heavy varmint stainless barrel, laminate thumbhole stock, Rifle Basix varmint trigger, Harris swivel bipod and Nightforce NXS 8x-32x NPR2 on it running 140gr. A-maxes. I get it setup and the chuck goes down the hole. He has me try it out on a nearby dirt clod and notes where I held versus the hit. I had about .5MOA short elevation and .5MOA too much wind. While we're talking, chuck comes out to see what's going on. I use the adjustments we had just noted and sent one across several fields toward him. The dirt flies up in his face and over his head. I hit the ground right under his chin. He backed up while I was reloading and made a dash for the hole shell shocked
blink.gif
. After leaving, I got to thinking about what could have happened to my 243. Then I remembered that I still had the scope doped for my 502yd hit last week when I put the CSR zero stop shims in it Wednesday night. When I reset the target turret, I had effectively dialed 570yds of dope on top of a 500yds zero
blushing.gif
. I'm guessing I might have shot a little high
smirk.gif
. Good thing we backup our shots with a hillside, huh? Looks like I'll have some sighting in to do this weekend between honey-do projects.
PICT0196.jpg

570yds shot was just above tall green tree on right side at upper edge of the field. 502yds kill was right between the dead trees in the middle.

Last edited:
We have been working like crazy it's been very hard to get out but I finally got out tonight, most of the fields that we hunt need cut so I just went out back to the pond, I think I just about have it cleaned out I haven't seen anything there the past couple of weeks so I wasn't really expecting to see anything tonight but when I walked up to the pond this one popped up out of its hole and was headed for the bean field it made it through the fence but not the 17M2 thats 11 hogs with the rimfires so far

2012-06-23_18-56-32_908.jpg

Nice, Rich. I wish I had a few places with more barns for a little close quarter rimfire action. At least it would help get those guns some work (after the money I dumped in them
cool.gif
)

Yesterday my primary location was still under tall grass so I had to go to plan B. This worked out quite well as plan B had several fields barely covered in a fresh crop of beans and I had great visibility.

My first target popped his head up the moment I arrived, his hole was next to a electrical pole in the middle of the field. I was still unloading my gear from the truck so he waited patiently at 210 yards. The Savage Model 10 ended the reign of terror of this bean eater.

P1000704.jpg

I moved on and found a great spot to watch several good areas. Of course they appeared where I didn't expect them but that was not an issue
grin.gif

P1000705.jpg

This spot had an obvious active hole that I watched intently. All that fresh dirt had to have someone piling it up, right? Eventually a tiny patch of fur revealed itself to the right in the weeds as it nibbled on a snack. The Savage put the smackdown on it at 310 yards.
P1000706.jpg

This guy was a neutral observer...too close to bother with at 80 yards...I'm coming back to this field later next week so we'll find a better angle on him (or he stays for seed).

P1000707.jpg

These two presented themselves at 395 yards. In fact several more were active and many rounds of V-Max sent their way but I missed several times. I saw a couple shots go high so am assuming the downhill shooting angle was more pronounced that I thought. I was also off a bit on my range estimation. Oh well, good to leave some seed. These two though fell to my first and last shot, the 75 grain V-Max anchoring them in place.
P1000710.jpg

This last one showed up at 425 yards, choosing bean sprouts over corn sprouts. I had the target dot rock steady on him when some deer ran by and spooked him back into the ditch. I knew he'd be back and it only took about 2 minutes. This time he reappeared at 418 and the Savage was waiting on him. I tried to wait for a standing shot, even tried whistling a few times but he stayed down as he mowed up the fresh bean sprouts. He looked huge so I took what he offered and stuck one in the side. I heard the resounding thump before I saw the tail come up....watched him a few moments to make sure he did not try to crawl off. He did not, didn't even have time to spit out his last mouthful.
P1000713.jpg

Way to go! Great shooting! Fun story! Good plan on the short shots to come back for longer ones! Go get 'em!

Pretty country!

What better way to go that with your mouth full of food.
drool.gif

Those two by the hole look a little strange? Red fur and sort of grundgy.
unsure.gif

Back