835 vs. 535 vs. Nova vs. V3 vs. Versamax

Dust

I am looking for a 3” shotgun.
There are two used camo 835s local; one with 24” barrel, one with 28” barrel and coin in the stock for $250. Used camo 535 with RDS for $325.
Used camo Versamax for $700.
Buy my father’s black Nova for I don’t know how much
Buy new V3 for $700ish

I understand that the X35s, Nova and Versamax are 3.5”. Plan to shoot Winchester 2 ¾” #4 turkey loads ($.35/ea after turkey season at Walmart) for raccoons, and 3” BB to #4 buck for dogs. No deer or turkey hunting currently, and no plans to change. No upland hunting locations here in KY, and have a Miroku A5 for upland in TX, so no low brass unless plinking.

A lot of good things said about the 835s, but it’s mostly regarding the 3.5” shells, and don’t know if the overbore would help for 2¾ and 3” loads.

All guns are within budget, but $700 is as high as I am looking.

Can anyone give suggestions or feedback?

I bought an 835 for turkey and coyotes...ended up hating it. I sold it, bought a 3" 870, and could not be happier.

My inherent bias would recommend you dig up an 870 Magnum, and carry on. I tend to lean toward short barrels for non flying game shotguns..the 870 I found was a Special Purpose gun, with a 21" vent rib barrel and Remchokes.

Last edited:
If you don't mind the rough action of the Mossberg get it. If you want something better find a used 3" 870 Wimgmaster.

I remember always hearing " for shotguns go with the three B's".
Having had most other makes or styles I now have had 2 of the 3 B's and should have started there.

I will agree, Benelli, Beretta or Browning are the best choices in shotgun...that being said i have Zero complaints with my 535, i paid $340 for it nee 5yrs ago...i did replace the sights on it with tru glo big dot, and a metal safety lever instead of the plastic, and a limbsaver recoil pad...everything its been fired at has died.

I would go for a v3. They now have a lifetime warranty. Next I would go a300, but a wood one. The plastic a300 just felt so cheap I sold it. Versamax is too heavy. Pump guns give your location away for doubles. A little recoil reduction is nice with stout loads too. If you want a pump you might aswell just get a 870 express and be done with it. Not pretty but I never had a problem with one.

There's really nothing wrong with a 835 other than it's not as smooth as some others. I'm on my second one due to theft, when my old one got stolen I didn't let my shirt tail hit me headed to get another one. I have the camo 24" that is my calling shotgun. I hardly ever shoot 3.5" through it but it's nice to have if I want to. I have Franchi, Browning, and Remington shotguns that are really too nice to beat briers with so 835 is my choice.

Originally Posted By: DeadRightThereThere's really nothing wrong with a 835 other than it's not as smooth as some others. I'm on my second one due to theft, when my old one got stolen I didn't let my shirt tail hit me headed to get another one. I have the camo 24" that is my calling shotgun. I hardly ever shoot 3.5" through it but it's nice to have if I want to. I have Franchi, Browning, and Remington shotguns that are really too nice to beat briers with so 835 is my choice.

I like the 24" for moving, and the price means that I don't have to worry about nicks and scratches. How does it pattern with the 2.75 and 3" loads?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I would go for a v3. They now have a lifetime warranty. Next I would go a300, but a wood one. The plastic a300 just felt so cheap I sold it. Versamax is too heavy. Pump guns give your location away for doubles. A little recoil reduction is nice with stout loads too. If you want a pump you might aswell just get a 870 express and be done with it. Not pretty but I never had a problem with one.

I was looking at an 11-87 before I handled the Versamax.

No one wants to sell their 870 locally. New prices push me towards an auto for an extra day of work, or dad's Nova if he will let it go.

I like the 3-B's with one addition - Winchester SX3. I'm a Benelli guy first and foremost. I own Beretta and it's a fine shotgun. My son-in-law has a new Browning, he likes it a lot. I cling to my old Belgian Browning Auto Five in the Browning line. My son had a really bad SX3, it absolutely was so screwed up it should have been cut up for scrap. But I'm very sure that was a 1 of 10,000 or something gun. Everybody else I know with an SX3 loves the gun. The only Remington I like is the tried and true Wingmaster (not Express!) pump. The Wingmaster is a jewel. So is the Winchester M12 and Ithaca M37 in the pump gun field. The Browning BPS is good to go if you don't mind packing the extra weight, it's a pig.

Semi's and pumps in the mix???? Tough choice. All shotties fit and shoot differently, you would be better off to shoot a few and then choose the one that points where "you" aim.

I have an 835 and 870.The 835 action is smoother but it does rattle more.Not as bad as the 500 it replaced though.How well one patterns comes down to each individual gun.Trying to go by one brand-model vs another is futile.

It does pretty good. I just had to experiment with chokes and ammo manufacturers. My best pattern with 2.75 and 3" 00 buckshot was with a Carlson modified choke. The full choke pattern was ugly.

I have seen several versamax guns that just flat out didn't work and the v3 is an even new untested version of that. id steer clear of a Remington auto. I would agree with the 3Bs with the addition of the sx2 or 3. Ive had Benelli's for years but bought a maxis 2 years ago and I haven't shot my m2 since. take a look at a new Franchi Affinity its a lot of gun for the money

Not really a shotgun guy but I'll throw my 2 cents worth in. I had a 835 ulti-mag and an 11-87. I shoot a little skeet, very little, and dove hunt some. The 11-87 is better for me shooting clays and birds because a second shot is faster but the old 835 is just a good old shot gun. Ugly as dirt but they work. Never shot 3.5's in it but it cycled and shot everything I fed it just fine.

Last edited:
I have found one in 24" Mossy Oak with a 24" slug barrel. The extra cost of this one over the other one with the darker camo mentioned above is worth it to me I think as the lighter color works for the colors I think I will be hunting in, and the slug barrel will be good to have for the friends that get cocky.

Buy about 20 rds. of 3.5" slugs and bring them along with the barrel to shooting events for friends that want the "real deal".

I have an 835 that I used turkey hunting. It would rarely feed the next shell and had ejection problems, but it shoots a heck of a pattern. I would never cosnider using it for anything else since it is not reliable. After several disappointing autos I now have a V3 that has been flawless for about 600 rounds except the bead broke of, however that happens. I love the fit and feel and shoot great with it. The things I don't like are the bead broke off, the shell carrier edge was fairly sharp, and with the gas ports being right in front of the receiver I would occasionally get powder in the eye shooting trap but not while hunting, so it might be the shells. Price was $720 on a trade. So far I would recommend it despite the minor issues. I also have a Weatherby SA-08 that has also been flawless except that it shoots 8" or so low which is unacceptable to me which is why I bought the V3. I bought the 28" because of trap shooting and I believe they are only offered in 26 and 28. For hunting I personally would prefer a 24 - 26 leaning towards the 24.

24" Camo Nova popped up for $375 "like new" with improved choke

or

24" Camo 835 with slug barrel, scope, and turkey choke for$350.

or

Wood 870 Express for $300

Kinda thinking about the Nova after seeing it, but not sure.

Last edited:
Back