835 vs. 535 vs. Nova vs. V3 vs. Versamax

I've been researching and checking out several shotguns over the last month for the sole purpose of predator hunting. I've decided to go with semiautomatic. For the price of some of the 3 inch shotties you mentioned, the Beretta a300 should definitely be added to your list of considerations... Great value! Now I don't want to start a riot here but throughout my process of rediculous amounts of youtube videos and message board readings, i have come across an alarming number of negative feedback on Mossberg 835s and 935s. The general consensus is the guys who get a good Mossberg love them and swear by them, and a bunch of other people get a dud that gives them problems the entire time they own it. I would personally rather buy a used one that i know for a fact is trouble free than risk it with a brand new one.
I always take opinions on message boards with a grain of salt, so you should do the same with this one. I have never owned a mossberg firearm.

I have an A300...and its a great shotgun. When I bought mine, the 28" barrel was the only option. I see they now offer a 24", and that would make a dandy turkey/coyote gun..

While i am just getting into predator calling, and haven't made my first kill yet, i feel very confident my a300 turkey model was an excellent choice for my needs. Light and maneuverable, 24 inch barrel with matte camo finish, fiber optic sights. Oh yea and its a beretta... they've been makin guns for a while.

Originally Posted By: ConquistadorI've been researching and checking out several shotguns over the last month for the sole purpose of predator hunting. I've decided to go with semiautomatic. For the price of some of the 3 inch shotties you mentioned, the Beretta a300 should definitely be added to your list of considerations... Great value! Now I don't want to start a riot here but throughout my process of rediculous amounts of youtube videos and message board readings, i have come across an alarming number of negative feedback on Mossberg 835s and 935s. The general consensus is the guys who get a good Mossberg love them and swear by them, and a bunch of other people get a dud that gives them problems the entire time they own it. I would personally rather buy a used one that i know for a fact is trouble free than risk it with a brand new one.
I always take opinions on message boards with a grain of salt, so you should do the same with this one. I have never owned a mossberg firearm.

My thought process was beater pump and nice auto later. But looking at used, with only one turkey choke, I am going to spend another $150 for chokes that I'll actually use.

I have had several point me to the A300, but haven't found one in stock lately. How many chokes did yours come with?

Personally i stopped believing in the concept of beater guns a while ago. Any modern firearm i own, ESPECIALLY a hunting gun, i fully intend to use as a tool with total expectation of scratches and signs of use. Now i do not intentionally abuse and scratch my guns. But unless its an antique firearm, a nickle plated signature series 1911, or a family heirloom, I'm probably not gonna be very delicate with the thing. (Safe yes, delicate no) I buy the ones that i can treat like crap and they come back for more. I'll pay a little extra for that gun.

Of the ones listed i would go nova every time. You couldn't give me any new Remington. In your price range though i would go with either a a300 if you prefer a gas gun or a franchi affinity if you prefer inertia.

An alarming number of negative feedback on Mossberg 835s and 935s?I've come across some complaints about feeding problems with the 835 when using 2 3/4" shells.But that's about it.When it comes to patterning it runs with the best of them.

They may pattern well...but every one that I have touched, including the one I owned, felt like a piece of junk. Yes, this is a very subjective thing, but a very real issue for me. Perhaps this is because I have used 870s for so long, perhaps its some other unknown bias, but I simply cannot abide by the loose and cheap feel of the guns.

As for 870s...yes, the newer ones are somewhat lacking, but even the shoddiest Express is something I would pick over any Mossberg. That being said, with so many on the used market, its not really an issue. You can pick up an older Express with choke tubes for $200 bucks without even looking hard, and less if you are willing to shop. Older Wingmasters and Police guns are out there as well, and for not much more money.

The Nova...I might pick one over a Mossberg, but it would be a tight race.

Like i said the guys who have a good one swear by them. I am sure that a well running 835 can pattern and shoot just fine. I just don't believe you have to have a cheap, loose feeling, possibly fail prone shotgun to run around in the woods with. I don't have as much against mossberg shotguns as i do the notion that people think they should buy a $350 mossberg 12 gauge to dedicate as their "beater". Buy a badass gun you're proud of, and then appreciate every scratch and nick it acquires over time.

I take others shooting, hence the 3.5" pump with slug barrel.

But you are correct in saying that if I am going to spend $450ish (350 plus chokes and safety upgrade) on a beater, I might as well spend $6-700 on something nice. But then I have to give my "nice" gun to a new shooter, and don't get to see their face when they trip 3.5" of buckshot in a pump.

Really for me the decision became much easier when i moved away from pump guns and decided to go semiauto. Nothing wrong with pumps just found the semi met my needs for faster followup shots and quieter reengagement. I love pump action scatter guns but for predator calling i really believe SA is the way to go.

I have had most of the shotguns mentioned, or have hunted with them. If you have the dough, or most of it, save for, and get, a Benelli.

Everyone mentions an 870...but hardly ever distinguish between express or wingmaster. A wingmaster is the only one Id ever consider. Very nice pump gun. The expresses just suck outright. Never seen one that was worth it.

Then again, a lot of guys hate Mossbergs..and I fully understand..but I have used an 835 for years, got one almost when they first came out. Strictly a predator gun, turkey model, 24" barrel etc. It has killed hundreds of coyotes fox and cats, Ive never been disappointed. A little loosy goosy but they will shoot and slick up nice. Heavy gun but still kicks like a bronco, no matter the load.

I currently shoot a 930 auto and love it for what it is. I have a Win. sx3 that I really like as well. but the 930 is my main squeeze. It has done really well for me.

As for auto vs pump...I can live with either, but yeah, autos get my vote overall. Different story for a rifle but thats me.
Mark

Express guns are rougher than Wingmaster and Police guns...but hardly so that I wouldnt consider an Express. Nothing about them is substantially different, and nothing that is different is difficult to remedy.

The older (metal trigger group) Express guns are just as good as the Wingmaster or Police, just not as pretty. The newer (synthetic trigger group) guns are a little cheaper made, but each and every inferiority can be easily remedied for a few bucks and minutes time.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadExpress guns are rougher than Wingmaster and Police guns...but hardly so that I wouldnt consider an Express. Nothing about them is substantially different, and nothing that is different is difficult to remedy.

The older (metal trigger group) Express guns are just as good as the Wingmaster or Police, just not as pretty. The newer (synthetic trigger group) guns are a little cheaper made, but each and every inferiority can be easily remedied for a few bucks and minutes time.

What are the differences in Express and Wingmaster?

It depends greatly on what era. When the Express was first introduced, it was largely cosmetic, some corners cut on final finish, etc. As time marched on, other corners were cut. MIM parts, lack of polishing in critical areas, bluing over beadblasted finish, different trigger groups and parts within those groups, abbreviated QC/QA, etc..

But none of these is really a deal breaking issue. In the end, an 870 is an 870, and any of them can be made to run right with very little effort.

Last edited:
∆∆∆
A whole lot of quality difference. I'm still pissed at Remington for not changing the model number when they came out with the pos Express.

Ridiculousness....but I am OK with it. Means less folks want Expresses, and keeps them cheap on the used market.

And no, there isnt "a whole lot of quality difference..." but carry on.

My personal pumps are 870s 1 magnum wingmaster one supermag express. Both work great but the wingmaster is much nicer. Home defense gun is a mossberg 500 defender, 8 shots of 00 buck should do the trick. The 835 and the nova are both good guns that will serve most hunters for a lifetime. I have used both in the duck and goose fields with no complaints.

For autos, I have FN auto 5s in 12, 16, and 20 ga. Remminton 1100 and 11 87. Personal favorite is a SBE2 left hand.

Pick a shotgun that you can afford, that shoots where you point it with as little aiming input as possible. If you do this, you will have a winner.

Last edited:
Back