6mmx45 AR Complete Uppers starting at $450

Originally Posted By: MPFDWhy do you feel you need to "break in" the barrel? I ran a few pieces cotten cloth through the barrel and it shot awesome. Why waste any barrel life in a "break in" process? I really don't think that spending the time and money loading break in ammo and cleaning is gonna make this rifle shoot any better then it did yesterday....

You may be right. I will still take the time & expense to do it right; you only get ONE chance to do this. As far as losing barrel life ----- it's a $200 barrel ---- I'll get another one, a better one when this one is toast.

I don't feel I need to justify my decision with someone else's view point.

Good luck with your new upper & maybe someday we can get together & see how accurate our rifles are after they've been shot for a while.

Originally Posted By: MPFD I would not call it a bull barrel at all though, which was a pleasant suprise. I have been worrying about how heavy it was gonna be all week. While its not a govt. profile it is definatly lighter then my 223 Hbar.

Did one of us mistakenly call it a bull bbl somewhere, or did you just assume from the pictures. Please let me know if we did so I can correct it. Its a standard profile SS bbl.

I went back and looked, couldn't find any reference to bull bbl.

The only thing I can think of is you got confused with the acronym "bbl".

Sorry for the confusion.

Originally Posted By: hntr4lifeDo you know yet when the 20" bbls will be ready?

We're looking at having those ready to place deposits on the 7th of October and ready for delivery around mid October.

No I'm very happy with what I got. I just assumed that since the word "barrel" only contains one b that a bbl was a bull barrel. My mistake...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GuidoOriginally Posted By: hntr4lifeDo you know yet when the 20" bbls will be ready?

We're looking at having those ready to place deposits on the 7th of October and ready for delivery around mid October.

Woo hoo....I am Jonesing it bad right now.

I know, believe me.....I have a list of 29 e-mails in line waiting for the 20" bbls!

We'll get you guys squared away ASAP, don't worry!

Originally Posted By: fw707How much does the complete 18" upper weigh?
And will the 20" barrels be the same contour?

I'm away from the shop (outside the country actually) at the moment, but if you e-mail Ritch at sales@newfrontierarmory.com he can get you an answer on the weight of the upper.

The 20" bbls will also be standard contour, yes.

Originally Posted By: fw707How much does the complete 18" upper weigh?
And will the 20" barrels be the same contour?

The 18" Upper weighs 4Lbs. 8oz. That inclueds the charge handel and BCG

Originally Posted By: eneranchOriginally Posted By: MPFDThese things are SHOOTERS!!!! I loaded AA2015 with a 70 grain HPBT sierra matchking. This load was perfect, there is no need to try anything else....

Just curious why you picked AA2015 ??

I have a 6X45 18" 1X10 bbl from Dtech and this is one of the powders Mike recommends along with a Sierra #1510 70gr HP for coyote. I have loaded quite a bit of .223 rds over the years with this powder my main PD rd out of a bolt when I switched to a AR the AA2015 continued to perform well.
I still had AA2015 on hand so figured why not give it whirl, I only have appx 25rds down the barrel of my new Dtech 6X45 and all rounds have been less then MOA .621" with the best being .261". I dont think I will be experimenting with any other powders as this one seems to work good enough for me.
thumbup.gif

Mike also recommended the Nosler Partition for deer I would have to check but I think he said 80gr I will be trying this bullet with AA2015 as well.

Last edited:
Here is a target sent to us from New Frontier Armory shooting one of their completed uppers with a 6x45 Black Hole Weaponry barrel!

groupingpics.jpg

Originally Posted By: eneranchOriginally Posted By: MPFDWhy do you feel you need to "break in" the barrel? I ran a few pieces cotten cloth through the barrel and it shot awesome. Why waste any barrel life in a "break in" process? I really don't think that spending the time and money loading break in ammo and cleaning is gonna make this rifle shoot any better then it did yesterday....

You may be right. I will still take the time & expense to do it right; you only get ONE chance to do this. As far as losing barrel life ----- it's a $200 barrel ---- I'll get another one, a better one when this one is toast.

Quote:
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn.asp

Read what Gale McMillan thinks about barrel break in...

If it's "hand lapped"... no need in break in, just shoot for sight in, shoot for groupings (10 round groupings for each load) and move on. Clean after range trip and keep the thing lubed enough that no rust is possible, but not too wet that it goes everywhere.

Machine lapped, and chrome-lined.... it's up to you.... but fouling on a machine lapped barrel you'll find that there's burrs that allow fouling for several hundred rounds.

But what do I know... I'm just a predator hunter who has no machining experience, much less named "Gale McMillan"...

Buy an upper with a barrel, shoot it, clean it, shoot it, clean it... last's a lifetime. I doubt seriously you'll outshoot your barrel.

Originally Posted By: williamwjohnsonAnybody know the price for the 20" upper or just a 20" barrel?

Same price $450 + shipping. Not sure on just a bbl.

No idea what Frontier is selling them at but on the Black Hole website the barrels prices are posted. I know I also am wanting to do barrel change outs on a couple of my AR's.

Back