.223 Wynde vs. 5.56

Now again, someone double check this, using the clymer nato reamer
this is what I came up with

1.7750 + .0500 + 87.5 tangent x .004 (.2270-.219x.5)=1.9166 base to lands,
which is slightly less than the wylde. So there is do definitive answer unless
you pin down which reamer specifically is being used. And another thing I
have learned is bullet seating length and case chambers and free bore are very
loosely tied together. The throat angle and free bore width all make it vary.
Stuff I never thought much about before.

edited the math, and Got why CatShooter said the throat doesn't matter, the
bullet will engage the lands first right at the end of the freebore. So all the
figures were for my own amusement I guess.

Last edited:
That is why I based nothing on that chart. The original question was on a RRA rifle.

Either way, I called RRA and spoke to BJ. He told me the Wylde is absolutely throated shorter than NATO. Anybody else here can feel free to do the same if my word is not good enough.

All the charts and mumbo jumbo going on here are doing nothing but confusing the simple fact......

It's not confusing any fact. If that data from the reamer manufacturer is correct, the Wylde reamer cuts that profile into a chamber.
Without a reamer to measure, I have no idea if those are the correct dimensions or not.

Here's my first post in the thread:

Quote:
No. The Wylde is just a .223 with a chamber cut with more leade so you can shoot the longer bullets without hitting the rifling.

Is that correct or not? I answered the guys question just fine 4 pages ago.

The FACT is that the RRA Wylde chamber is throated SHORTER than a NATO spec chamber. Period. That was the original question. You and Cat both stated that this is incorrect and that RRA's website was wrong. It isn't.

I don't know anything about your chamber or any reamer mfg.s specs, and don't care.

Your answer 4 pages ago is partially correct. Yes it has more lead than the SAAMI 223, but other dimensions are also different.

Lets just leave it at that. Anyone here is entitled to their own opinion, and can also feel free to call RRA.

Seriously, this horse is dead......

Here's some more of my post. Which part is incorrect?

Quote:
Get the .223 chamber, then. That Wylde won't relly do you any good unless you get a 1:9 or faster twist and shoot 70+ gr. bullets.

He stated he wanted the best accuracy possible, which pretty much rules out a 5.56 NATO chambering, Wylde or not.

If he had stated he wanted a 600+ yard bench rifle, I would have a different opinion on it.

"Either way, I called RRA and spoke to BJ. He told me the Wylde is absolutely throated shorter than NATO."
If this is true than it is not a true Wylde chamber. The Wylde chamber as designed has the longest throat.

Jack

Quote:
"Either way, I called RRA and spoke to BJ. He told me the Wylde is absolutely throated shorter than NATO."
If this is true than it is not a true Wylde chamber. The Wylde chamber as designed has the longest throat.

Jack

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quote:
Here is a copy / paste from the Rock River Arms web site:

"The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accomodate both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy."

BJ also told me that this quote is straight out of Bill Wyldes mouth. Guess he's wrong too....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

You can find all kinds of misleading info on the net. When I have hard copies of the chamber prints from a top tooling company in front of me, I tend to trust them more. JGS grinds some of the best reamers out there and their chamber prints are accurate.

Jack

Quote:
You can find all kinds of misleading info on the net. When I have hard copies of the chamber prints from a top tooling company in front of me, I tend to trust them more. JGS grinds some of the best reamers out there and their chamber prints are accurate.

Jack

Good post, Jack...

Is there any popcorn left....? I have a feeling the movie isn't over yet..

-BCB

I don't consider talking to the gunsmith at RRA and him telling me to my own two ears "finding misleading info on the net."

Put the popcorn away, BCB. Leaving in the morning, and I've had about enough of this anyway. It's like playing cards with my sister's kids.......

You guys are better than watching Saturday Night Live !lol

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
You guys are better than watching Saturday Night Live !lol

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any ideas on which one of us looks like Tina Fey.....? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'm curious.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-BCB

What in the world is a .223 Wynde?

In 1984 Keith Francis (JGS) and I designed a .223 reamer over the phone. Must have taken about fifteen minutes. That reamer became what is known today as the Wylde .223 reamer. It could be called a match reamer, as it has been used in many match rifles, but to me just another reamer.

I have read many of the opinions and quotes on the internet and enjoy it all. Some opinions and some quotes are not correct.

From my experience, an 80 grain Sierra loaded to approximately 2.475" will touch the lands in my chamber. That round loaded in the NATO chambers I've seen would touch nothing.

I think Bigwheeler crunched the numbers and got it right. Being nothing more than a mechanic, I must use experience.

I've not read all this thread, but must say that you fellows get rather spirited.:)

It has been a long and cold winter. Forget the arguments and start loading for your particular chambers.

If you want a good match chamber for magazine length 52-55 grain bullets get a .223 Lantz BR from JGS. Ol' Keith and I worked on that one in the 80's and it is a good one.

Quote:From my experience, an 80 grain Sierra loaded to approximately 2.475" will touch the lands in my chamber. That round loaded in the NATO chambers I've seen would touch nothing.

I'd say that pretty much sums it up. Cat, Evil, Jack, BCB, it's been fun.
tt2.gif

This lesson is free.

How do you all like your crow served?
lol.gif

Back