.223 Wynde vs. 5.56

Quote:
Quote:
Here is a copy / paste from the Rock River Arms web site:

"The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accomodate both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy."

This is a DIRECT quote from Bill Wylde. I think he may have a clue.......

RRA knows what they have posted on their site. Believe me. Shorter throat is correct, whether you want to admit it or not. You've no clue what Wylde chamber is. Face it....

http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=270453

"The Wylde chamber can not be added since the rifling is CLOSER to the bullet". In other words they can't add throat back on. Wylde throat is SHORTER. Get it yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If it were longer, they most certainly would be able to take metal away and rechamber it with a longer throat.

That is right from BJ at RRA......

Quote:
That is right from BJ at RRA......

That still doesn't answer the question of whether or not the "RRA Wylde chamber" conforms to the actual Wylde reamer dimensions. The dimensions in the chart seem to imply it doesn't.

And if the Wylde chamber is a "match" chamber, why is it larger in every dimension (including free bore) than my Oly barrel with a SAAMI chamber?

Quote:
the "Wylde Chamber" (for competition-use AR-15 pioneer Bill Wylde) is 2.445"; the "AMU Chamber" (for U.S. Army competition team) is 2.500". There are others, but these are the most popular among competition rifle builders. A SAAMI chamber is normally about 2.410"; a NATO chamber is normally about 2.550".

Like I said before, why would I want a sloppy chamber with a long free bore unless I wanted to shoot 5.56 NATO?

I've got a more accurate chambering right now than a Wylde will ever give you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Can you see the picture of the 3 cartridges with the 3 different chamberings? I really don't know what else I can say here, if you and Gnatshooter still don't get it......

You stated that the Wylde chamber is shorter than the NATO - it is not.

You obviously have great difficulty reading and comparing numbers.

JGS NATO chamber, including freebore
(K + N) = 1.7720" + 0.0566" = 1.8286"

PTG NATO chamber, including freebore
(K + N) = 1.7720" + 0.0566" = 1.8286"

Clymer NATO chamber, including freebore
(K + N) = 1.7750" + 0.0500" = 1.825

Wylde chamber, including freebore
(K + N) = 1.7726" + 0.0619" = 1.8345"

It doesn't take more than a 4th grade education to see that the Wylde chamber is longer than any of them... match or three NATO chambers.

Keep on making a fool of yourself, you are doing such a good job.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
...and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy

I believe that is actually incorrect.

It is incorrect...

The throat is longer to tale some of the longer military ammo.

SO it can't be short and long at the same time.

You are incorrect. The Wylde throat IS shorter.

This was our original beef. As usual you now know that you are wrong, and are trying to cover it up. Still think the Wylde throat is longer Cat? Give it up....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quote:
Still think the Wylde throat is longer Cat? Give it up.......

If it's cut with a JGS 223 Wylde reamer, it certainly appears so.

But why don't you show me a manufacturer's blueprint for a Wylde reamer that has the dimensions of the shorter freebore shown? That should be pretty simple to do, if you're right about it.

Me accepting it because "you say so" just ain't doing it, when there is documentation that directly contradicts your claim.

I keep running across references that state the Wylde chamber was developed to shoot heavier bullets (like Bill Wylde stated, if you read his post), and that involved a longer throat.

Like this one: Quote:
The new long-throated 'Wylde' chamber allows safe use of military ammo. Wylde chambers are quite common in Rock River guns.

6mmbr.com/223rem.html

I have a great idea. How about one of you dumbazzes call RRA and ask them if the NATO or the Wylde has a longer throat? here's the number......

309-792-5780

Feel free to report back with your feet squarely in your mouths.......

Getting tired of your little comments. Add something useful to the conversation or see your way out of it.

Which is throated longer, BCB? Please enlighten me with your wisdom......

I think freebore and throat may be mixed up a bit here. I did some not so quick trig calcs adding the coal+freebore+throat and came up with the wylde overall
length to lands as 1.94907 and the jgs nato came in at 2.0076 That is using a .224 free bore and .219 land diameter and 1.25 throat angle for the wylde
and .2265 free bore .219 land and 1.20 throat angle for the nato.

jgs wylde 1.776+.0619+.0025 x tangent 88.5 = 1.94907
jgs nato 1.770+.0556+.00375 x tangent 88.8 = 2.0076

someone else may want to double check me, I've seen me wrong before.

figures corrected

Last edited:
Yes, some here do not know the difference. Thank you for proving my point. Rest assured, they'll come up with some retarded reason or comment not pertaining to the subject at hand.

Cat, Evil, BCB, Jack, you're up......

Quote:
Yes, some here do not know the difference. Thank you for proving my point. Rest assured, they'll come up with some retarded reason or comment not pertaining to the subject at hand.

Cat, Evil, BCB, you're up......

The measurement is to the beginning of the throat, . - which is the free bore - that is the standard way of measuring, and does not take the angle as part of the length, otherwise, no one could ever compare chambers.

Do and say what you will.

Called RRA and spoke to BJ. Read him a couple of Catshooters quotes right off the screen. He said Cat has no clue and that their(RRA's) quote concerning the Wylde chamber being shorter is NOT a misprint. He also said military ammo has NOTHING to do with the Wylde design, as I already knew.

But then again, he is probably "incorrect".

What a joke. Call the number........

Back