Ultimate Eastern Calling Gun?

GC

OK in the spirit of getting the ball rolling here, what's your idea of the ultimate eastern calling gun? In my little part of the world my average shot is probably somewhere around 50 yards for called critters. A lot of that distance is dependant upon my set-up and just when I elect to take the shot. I've been using one of three rigs.
The first is my Remington m700 ADL .243. This is the synthetic version, which I've camoed. It is scoped with a Baush & Lomb 3x9x40 which rarely gets turned up more than 4X. It has the roughest bore I've seen in awhile, but is truely one of the most accurate sporter weight rifles I've seen. My handloads with Hornaday 87 grain V-Max bullets are .3's to .4's accurate everyday.
The next and most recent would be my Wilson Combat Colt AR-15 Flattop .223. Scoped with a new Weaver Grand Slam 3x10x40 and shooting my handloads of 60 grain Hornaday V-Max bullets, this little dude will shoot. It was promised to be less than a 1 MOA rifle. It'll go less than .75 inches for five rounds easily. If I can manage the trigger and hold my mouth right, it'll cut that considerably.
The last and the one I'm currently experimenting with is my Benelli M1S90 camo turkey gun. A three inch magnum with a 24" inch barrel it's handy, light, and very effecient with number Four Buckshot. BTW, in all the test firing I've been doing through several different shotguns, the Federal Premium has proven to be the best patterning load by far. Hell, the wad from that load penetrated the target backing at 50 yards and only about 20" inches from the dot I was shooting at. Looked as if I had fired a slug there, wicked!
What are your fav's?

Morning GC, Currently my favorites are a Savage Striker Handgun in .243 Winchester. Currently been shooting 58gr. Hornady V-MAX, but am still working up loads for it. I am also testing 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Second would have to be a Smith & Wesson Model 645 in .45 ACP shooting CCI Blazers featuring Speer's 200gr. Jacketed Hollow Point. Talk about a bullet that expands easily, it usually about doubles its diameter when expanded.

In addition I have also used several different T/C Contenders in various calibers, but mostly in .223 Remington.

Nope, don't even own a Rifle, just Handguns. Easier to carry.

Larry

I've done the handgun thing. However, I like packin' pistols. Colt Python .357, Colt Gold Cup .45, S&W .44 mag, Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag. Stuff with short barrels from maybe 4" to 6 1/2" or so. Open sights and hip holsters.

Hi, Here in E TN I'm limited to about 250yds max and my usuall shot range is arround 100yds. I have been using a Remmington classic17 with a weaver grandslam 2x10. Man I love this rifle. It fits me like a glove and that 17 just drops em. the greatest part for me is on low power you get to see the hit. No kiding, recoil is so light that you don't lose sight picture and see the bullet strike. It's amazeing. JB

my ruger no. 1 in 22-250 is my favorite,, but lots of times bring out the 222, 243 , 25-06's so they don't feel lonley
biggrin.gif

I am a big fan of my ruger 22-250 as well, however my newly acquired remington 700 in 17/222 may be gunning for that top spot when fall rolls around!

Myself I like my 358win in Brownings BLR. Shooting 225gr Sierra's @ 2475 fps with 46 gr of AA 2015.

Outlaw

------------------
life's short but I can say I've had a good hunt!!!!!

If I was guessing, Outlaw is calling bears and big cats? BTW, I have a BLR old style in .308 that is a great little rifle. Short and handy, light, fast shooting, and very accurate with my handload which I've worked up for it.

I like an AR-15 for my ultimate Eastern calling gun. They're quick handling and darn near indestructable. Besides, the second shot can come in handy at times.
wink.gif
MI VHNTR

Originally posted by GC:
OK in the spirit of getting the ball rolling here, what's your idea of the ultimate eastern calling gun? In my little part of the world my average shot is probably somewhere around 50 yards for called critters. A lot of that distance is dependant upon my set-up and just when I elect to take the shot. I've been using one of three rigs.
The first is my Remington m700 ADL .243. This is the synthetic version, which I've camoed. It is scoped with a Baush & Lomb 3x9x40 which rarely gets turned up more than 4X. It has the roughest bore I've seen in awhile, but is truely one of the most accurate sporter weight rifles I've seen. My handloads with Hornaday 87 grain V-Max bullets are .3's to .4's accurate everyday.
The next and most recent would be my Wilson Combat Colt AR-15 Flattop .223. Scoped with a new Weaver Grand Slam 3x10x40 and shooting my handloads of 60 grain Hornaday V-Max bullets, this little dude will shoot. It was promised to be less than a 1 MOA rifle. It'll go less than .75 inches for five rounds easily. If I can manage the trigger and hold my mouth right, it'll cut that considerably.
The last and the one I'm currently experimenting with is my Benelli M1S90 camo turkey gun. A three inch magnum with a 24" inch barrel it's handy, light, and very effecient with number Four Buckshot. BTW, in all the test firing I've been doing through several different shotguns, the Federal Premium has proven to be the best patterning load by far. Hell, the wad from that load penetrated the target backing at 50 yards and only about 20" inches from the dot I was shooting at. Looked as if I had fired a slug there, wicked!
What are your fav's?

17 Rem would be my choice. Not to loud in populated areas. Low recoil great little gun. Yote Hunter.

here is my varmint arsenal, a ruger 96 22WMR with 2x7 shooting 50 fed. hp's, a custom ARS mini 14 HBAR w/ 4x12 leupold and 55gr. FL's, an ARS custom mini 30 HBAR chambered in 6mmPPC w/ 4x12 burris com. target and 55 gr nos BT's, a Rem 788LH in 6mmRem. w/ 3x12x52 and 87 gr. hor. hp's, for open country a Ruger #1V in 22-250 w/6x24 B&L and 55 gr hor. V-MAX's. Also have a custom Valmet 412 in 12/223 w/ bansner turkey/predator choke, 2.5X8 leupold and fed. 2 oz. 4's and 64 win pp's does double duty during turkey season
RR

------------------
Born to hunt, forced to work

[This message has been edited by Ridge Runner (edited 03-03-2001).]

BGEEZES Ridgerunner, I would like to know which one is your favorite one to use. You don,t carry them all do you? If so I must be living to easy of a life having to haul around my 8 pound Johhny Stewart and one rifle. I wonder if the DEA will use these threads against us to try and grab our guns someday so i'll keep quite aboout what i have.
biggrin.gif

Geeeze that's alot of guns to carry. Did you buy a F350 to haul all that stuff around there RR????? Man I just use my knife on them... gotta get them close though.
smile.gif

------------------
It's cold up here!
http://www.peterobor.net/~wolfz

I also, shoot a Savage .22-250 w/heavy varmit barrel and synthetic stock. It shoots a moly coated 55gr. Hornady V-Max @ 3855 f.p.s. with 5 out of 5 inside a dime at 200 yards.
It's not for sale!
Nuff said. hehehe

Good hunting, bowhunter57

Rem model 7 stainless in .223rem
50gr nosler balistic tips in front of a full case of win748 with match grade primers.
2.5X10 bushnell 45mm but who cranks it up past 3?????? Not I... gotta get em close!

------------------
It's cold up here!
http://www.peterobor.net/~wolfz

Back