Ultimate Eastern Calling Gun?

Savage model 110 22-250 40gr nosler ballistic tip. 4150fps. Like the idea of high speed dispatching. (Thats a throwback to my truck driving days). WC 6.5x18 50 mm
3 power? I need to see what i am shooting at
at 300 yards when they hang up like last night.
tongue.gif
rob

Like JB my range is limited. I guess I'm one of the few single shot fans on board. For coyotes and groundhogs I use a scoped X-P 100 pistol in .221 Fireball at 150 yards and under with the 50 gr. sxsp. For longer shots or windy days a scoped lightweight handy rifle in .243 Win., the .243/87 gr.V-max can make a mess but it puts them down with one shot if I do it right.

My guns call to me constantly. They usually say something like,"Ditch work today, take me hunting!" Or, "Let's go to the range big boy and I'll show you a good time!"

The ones I grab to go coyote huntinig are my 243 BLR w/ a 2-7 Burris compact scope, a 11-87 SuperMag, & my 22lr High Standard pistol. I generally have all 3 w/ me when coyote hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Browning BAR 243 with Nikin 2-7 scope or a Mossberg 935 with red dot scope.

Those are the go to guns. The 243 is as small as I go here in NH, although I have looked at a 223 for my son. Semi autos not because I need a second shot to put one down, but because they sometimes come in 2's - and 3's and 4's and more sometimes. If it's a fight they are looking for, they came to the right place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have a 22o swift that I would like to use, but see above.

GC,

First I must say that I was shocked that you didn't even mention your "old favorite" the 243 BAR Stalker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have many times used my "deer rifles" for coyotes for two reasons. Seems like I encountered more coyotes while deer hunting than any other time and my deer rifles always seemed to anchor 'yotes really fast. 308 has almost always been the catridge and I like short and light carbines like the Remmy Model 7. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

My first truly dedicated coyote rifle was a Winchester Lightweight 22-250 which was a 6.25 pound rifle with a 20" barrel. This was a near perfect rifle and I sold it when I went broke a few years ago... I've been looking to do better since then and am not sure I ever will... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Second dedicated coyote rifle was a Bushmaster Match rifle and it was just too danged heavy to carry around and too long to be practical. I also sold that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Now I use a Bushmaster M4 A3 and it's just right to carry and a pleasure to shoot but I feel undergunned with these monster 'yotes I see down here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sooooo... I am in the middle of a deal to aquire a BAR Lightweight Stalker in 243 Winny and will go ahead and spend the bucks to have it camoed by a professional. It will wear a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 scope and I'll use shooting sticks for a rest.

I'm hoping the BAR will be my "perfect coyote rifle" but GC, who I thought had it all figured out for a woods hunter, has switched rifles so I'm "Lost in Space"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oh... And I think that I'm on the hunt for a camo, semi-auto, quality shotgun and haven't done much research yet but something that likes Hevi-Shot and is short, light, and handy is what I hope to end up with. I intend to use it for duck hunting too if that's practical.

$bob$

If my stand location is thick and close, say 70yds or less, I'll take 835 Mossberg Ultimag with a Trulock .680 choke tube shooting 3.5" Hevi-Shot "Dead Coyote". (Puts 16 pellets in an 8" circle at 50yds.) If the range is greater I'll take Rem.788 in 22-250 shooting a 55gr balistic tip. If there are houses/livestock close by that would be at risk I'll take my Marlin 17VS,limit my range to 100yds and take well placed shots. Blakenator has proven this to be effective. GAJoe

my go to gun is a beretta al 390 loaded with 3" #4 hevishot loads. gun has a red dot sight on it. pretty nice for night time. this gun I can shoot foxes in the open out to 60yds and in the brush 40yds. shot one at 15 ft once and he did a backflip. most of my hunting is in the mountian.

This is an old, old, post (years old!). Someone drug this baby up from a long time ago? If I were to reply to this now, certainly and without doubt my Browning BAR Lwt. Synthetic Stalker .243 would be my number one calling rifle for sure! Followed by the Benelli M1S90 shotgun.

GC,

Wow... Over 4 years old? That's an old one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I was gettin' frustrated there for awhile. I was thinin' that now that I finally found a BAR Lightweight 243 you had decided is wasn't so great after all... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sooo... I just now closed the deal on my next "ultimate varmint rifle" which is a BAR Lightweight Stalker in 243 Winny. I got the original idea from you and have been thinking hard about it ever since. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

I even picked up a 308 version of the same rifle during my search for the 243 and LOVE it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have plenty of camo tape and some experience taping my other rifles but might look into having this whole rifle professionally done. Anyone have any ideas where to send it?

$bob$

My current go to eastern coyote rife is my Remmy 700 BDL in .243. I have it topped with a VX III 4.5-14x40 scope. It doesn't matter if I'm calling in the creek bottoms or around open fields, this rifle is ready to go. If its a 10 yard shot or a 300 yard shot, it wacks these big ole dogs we encounter around here with authority. I restocked it with a CDL stock to shave a little weight, and get rid of the shiney finish, and I simply love it..
I also see the advantage of a semiauto rifle, and I've been considering getting myself a lightweight BAR in .243. I really think AR's are too heavy and the .223 is a little light for 45 and 50 pound coyotes. But whatever, it'll be hard to outdo my 700.

Good hunting y'all...Coyote 6974

Rich,

The 243 ShortTracs are all over Gunbroker and prices have been dropping lately. Now might be a good time to grab one. Supposedly theres a sale on and prices are about a hundred less than normal.

I wanted the synthetic stocked Stalker. They're rare as hen's teeth. I missed only 2 in 6 months and bought the 2nd one from SLL who bought it from leeinmemphis on the classified ads here.

I literally checked all the auction sites for over 6 months to find one and never saw even one. Anyone that finds a Stalker in 243 I advise them not to hesitate if they really want one. If you see it grab it.

The big Browning dealers on Gunsamerica like Mountain Outfitters in Washington get them in every once in awhile but they never call. You just have to keep calling and calling and calling and checking... bla... bla... bla....

$bob$

Rich,
The funny thing is, I don't hear reports for the Short Trac of the great accuracy the BAR rifles turn out. Certainly not bad accuracy, 1" - 1 1/2" seems the norm for the Short Trac rifles while the BAR's are usually good for sub MOA with the right loads. I have no idea what the difference might be, maybe I'm just not hearing about the really good Short Trac's. And for woods hunting I seriously doubt that minor accuracy difference will be all that much of an advantage. Other than a confidence thing perhaps.

Bob, I keep flirting with sending my BAR to the camo Treebark company's Second Skin dipping service. They seem to have a really good reputation and service. Their prices might be just a tad higher than some others, however, I'll pay for a quality job. If I remember correctly they're in the SE, maybe Georgia? Second Skin is the name, I guess I need to research them a little more. Kinda interested what a Google search will turn up if I type that name in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GC,

Ouch.. When I typed just "second skin" on the google search engine I got some pretty wierd stuff... DON'T ASK... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I then added "camo and gun" and got some cool stuff.

Jim Crumley's Second Skin Camo

Scheels All Sports Has It Too

Here's a Gun Tests Review

There were several more reviews and it appears that this is a franchised product.

More info needed adn hopefully someone will volunteer to be the guinee pig? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

$bob$

OK you BAR experts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I paid 800+ for mine new. It's the lightweight stalker in .243.

I see one at the gun shop, also a lightweight stalker in .243, in near mint condition for 575. Only thing wrong with it is it has a Simons scope on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's been there about a month. It kind of hurts to know I could have saved a couple of hundred bucks.

Any idea if this is good price or if there is some other reason that it would be, what I think anyway, so reasonably priced? Honestly, the gun is flawless.

Thanks

Back