Ultimate Eastern Calling Gun?

VV, I doubt I'll be getting one. I have TWO kids in college! I feel your pain brutha... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Hope the 10 gauge works out for you.

Bill, like the guys above said, you are not going to get many long range shots at coyotes in Pa. I have a 22-250 and an AR-15 for when I hunt out of state. But when I am in Pa I rely on the 12 gauge.
If you already have a shotgun, try to get it shooting good at 50 yards. You'll be glad you did.
Here's mine........
PICT0022.jpg

Quote:
Bill, like the guys above said, you are not going to get many long range shots at coyotes in Pa. I have a 22-250 and an AR-15 for when I hunt out of state. But when I am in Pa I rely on the 12 gauge.
If you already have a shotgun, try to get it shooting good at 50 yards. You'll be glad you did.
Here's mine........
PICT0022.jpg

I can't see your shotgun in the picture well. Is it scoped, rifled & slugs or open & heavy shot ?

Fiber optic sights. Shooting copper plated BB or larger. I'm getting ready to start messing around with the Dead Coyote load soon.

Hi my main coyote guns are
Rem 700 22 250 Nikon 4.5x14x40mm 55gr Nosler BT
Rem SP10ga 23 inch bar with custom choke with Fed 2 1/4 oz lead copper platted BB's or # 4 Buck shot

i was a Benelli fan i had 3 before this one until i got a new one this spring i got it in march it was a camo M1 Super 90 21 inch bar @ 30 yds the point of impact was 10 inchs to the right sent it back to Benelli they keep it until the end of June didnt do any thing to it before i sent it back i had to 2 gunsmiths look at it and both said to sent it back because it was new PLUS Benelli needed to stand behinde it well they didnt do any thing when i got the gun back it was just like it was when i sent it back went the next week i traded for Win SX2 NWTF 12ga 3 1/2 mag i am glad i did it will out pattern the benelli bad VM

Last edited:
My Idea of the "ultimate eastern calling gun"is of course,the one I don't have yet.A typical hunting day here could take me from fir thickets to open clearcuts,cedar swamp to hardwood ridge,blueberry barrens,creakbottom to powerlines with shot from 5yds to 500.....soooooo,i think I need a combo rifle/shotgun such as a Savage 24,.223 over 12ga.Any thoughts/experience with these would be appreciated.

I've read some negative feedback in the past ie-rifle barrel won't hold zero.Is this common with the 24 or is it optics/mounting problem?Any suggestions or experience with other make combos?Baikal?

For now i"m forced to choose between 870 12ga or .223BLR.Sometimes I'll take em both for a drive in truck and decide from stand -stand.

Well if you're going to keep this thread so active I will toss in my $.02. It will be a rifle from .222 Remington on up to the 6mm's. The Ultimate Calling Rifle will have to be under 9 lb. with scope and cartridges. The stock must fit the length of pull so that the scope is perfectly aligned with your eye as soon as you shoulder it and the palm swell and forarm have to sit in your hands like a pretty ladies dainty little wrist. For convienence the barrel needs to be no more than 22" in length to keep from beating it on the brush. And one of the most important features other than complete reliablilty is that a detachable box magazine or at the least a magazine release for quick unloading for legal transport between stands. It doesn't matter if it is a smooth bolt action or simiauto as long as your proficient with it.
That said, I only own this Ultimate Calling Rifle in parts. Some parts on this rifle and some parts are on that rifle.

I would say that there are several in the safe that I like here in the East. My Ar-15 gets the call alot, just because its short and easy to move or swing and it allows for fast follow up shots in thick cover if needed. Only down fall to it is that its so heavy, and will wear on me packing it around the hills here.

Second is my Rem 1187, 12 gage, 3" mag. Loaded with copper BB shot and a Kicks Choke tube at .660

Also good for fast follow up shots if needed and great in the clear cuts and thick cover. But it to is heavy.

I also pack the 22-250 alot. I like the distance it gets and its a bang flop gun if shot placement is on the money. Northern part of the state in farm country I can get some long shots and It will get the call most of the time there.

Brent

i use a 223 by nef mostly with a 3x9, and also a moss 500 with a .675 undertaker by hs with win supreme 3" #4. sometimes i take my nef 10 ga turkey with 24in tube and xfull with #4's. kicks like a mule but throws one heck of a pattern at 50yds.wrecks a dog's head. when its really windy, i take a win70 in 30-06 with a 24in tube and a 3x9 loaded with 125 nos bt or 150 sp. they are right abt having too much magnification. took me several screw ups to figure out that i needed to ditch the 24x scope on the calling gun. when i do take a gun with big glass, it stays on it's lowest setting.

I can't understand the current "consensus" that the 22-250 is only ballistically better than the 223 at long range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It packs more whallop because it moves the same bullet faster due to it's enlarged powder capacity. I am assuming you have a newer generation 22-250 barrel with a 1:12" or faster twist to handle heavier bullets.

I know that I get some flak for using "too much gun" for yotes but if I find myself shooting a close in coyote with a "22" then I'd rather it was a 22-250 than a 223 because I consider coyotes hard to kill due to their incredible will to survive. I want every advantage I can get and don't mind a little recoil.

Here in the NW Florida Piney Woods a 'yote is rarely farther than a few yards from brush that's heavy enough to hide him unless you step on him. So if you hit him with a "22" then you're often stuck crawling through thick brush looking for a possibly wounded and highly [beeep] off coyote if you insist on a humane kill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

But then... It's probably easy to understand my attitude because I consider the perfect coyote rifle to be a BAR in 243 closely followed by a BAR in 308. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you haven't seen what a 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip out of a 308 does to a coyote you ain't seen "real, sho nuff, BANG FLOP"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course... The western coyote hunter can probably pop those little prairie dog eatin', half pint, sissy yotes with a rim fire with little trouble... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

$bob$

Appreciate the posts guys.

Victor varminter - Where are you from ? I live here in Wayne Co.

Keekee- Give a holler if ya get back to the north in the farm country here.

I still kick myself for not buying an SP-10 for $ 600 new a few yrs back. Even if you don't like it Victor Varminter you can sell it very easily to a hard-core goose hunter.

Bob,
Back in the day when I used a .22-250 what I personally found was that I could use a slightly heavier bullet than with a .223 for more energy and penetration. My range wasn't any different because I continued to hunt the heavy timber, however, I was hitting them harder with a heavier bullet in the larger cased .22-250. As an example, I tended to favor a 52-53 grain Sierra or Speer hollowpoint in the .223. For the .22-250 I preferred at least a 55 grain bullet and 60 grainers were better yet. I could tell the difference between the two cartridges, especially with a "scratch" hit around the edges of the vitals. I know, perfect shot placement is the key. However, a quick moving coyote in the thick stuff doesn't always allow the plan to be perfectly executed. So a heavier bullet in the .22-250 anchored more coyotes near the hit and within sight than the lighter bullets from the .223 on marginal shots. That's one of the reasons that I don't like the super lightweight bullets in the .243. What's the advantage over a .22-250 if you're going to shoot 55 grain bullets from each? In fact, isn't there a disadvantage in that the BC/SD is greater for the .22 caliber 55 grain bullet versus the 55 grain .243? I don't think the .243 has an advantage unless you're pushing 70+ grains of bullet. That's my take on it.

GC,

Interesting comments and I agree as a whole. I am shooting 55-60 grain ammo with my 22-250. Besides the kill power you mentioned the accuracy also improves at long distance. Mine is not a fast twist either, standard 1-14. But it is a match grade Sako heavy varmint barrel on a Tikka (tight chamber) Tikka recomends 60 (un-like many 1-14 because of this) and it drives tacks with them....that I can tell you. I have not had the chance to try heavier than 60 yet.

This afternoon I had a nice shot/kill on a woodchuck(groundhog) at 275-300 yards. The hay was up shin high, which left a upper body shot and only when standing. It was a large hog, he took it center of the neck back faceing me and it blew out his lower jaw, neck and upper chest on the other side "V Max/55 grain" (real mess.....sure did not crawl). My point ....it had penetration and then expansion as it should be. With lighter grains or smaller calibers(spin) that is not always the case. I need the smack for long distance on woodchucks for a quick kill and no crawling to the hole. I am sure I will need it and then some for coyote's this winter at a distance. Talking to local yote hunters here and once the snow is on the ground the shots can be long.

I agree about the .243 also, why get one then go light. .223's with faster twist's for heavier grains are nice too. Same with 22-250's

Heavier grains- better kill power and better distance accuracy period. I have no reason to run the light grains, maybe some do ?

MB: I'm in Tuscarawas County. Use to live in Wayne County back in my younger days, went to ATI/OSU & kinda stuck around for a while.

I shot a g'hog the other day at 125yds w/ my 22Varminter (22-250)using the 52gr A-Max & it totally decapitated it & I mean totally! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If I had had my camera w/ me, I would have taken a pic' for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I don't know if the A-Maxs are more fragiable than the V-Maxs, but they do have a higher BC. My Savage 112 shots 'em great. They almost seem to float out there, they shoot so flat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fellows maybe someone can help me. I am looking for a topic called "Tough coyotes or not enough gun". I cannot locate. Could someone direct me to it or post a link. It is about using the 243 BAR.Thanks

Back