NYS Coyote Hunters

Mark:

I know this isn't an easy decision for you and not one taken lightly. I also know most of your reasons for leaving and I can't blame you for this decision. Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side, but I believe there's more to it then just this. The politics and actions of others lead us to make hard choices. I think for you, you made the right choice. See you on the flip side my friend.

Perri....

If I remember right, you've nailed two so far this year.
Between Dennis and I, we haven't seen, or called anything in yet.......just fox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif.

....regarding coyotes, that's "miles ahead" my friend.....and I'm envious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif.

CoyoteSmoker......man, now that's cold !
I remember the old days of living up around Parish and hanging out from there, on up to Watertown. Canton, Potsdam and Gouverneur were always dead cold during the winter months.
My ancestors entered NY from Ireland up around Ogdensburg. Either through Quebec, or at Sag Harbor, don't know which. But anyway, they (GGGgrandmother & 2 boys) set up shop in and around Ogdensburg, before the boys (my GGgrandfather & his brother) headed out on their own across the state.

Knowing how cold it gets up near the seaway, I wonder how they survived as well as they did up there.

Knock'Em.....

I seriously think if we headed out west, and hunted like we hunt up here, we'd be astounded. We'd have a chance to see what those guys see on a regular basis, regarding population. On the other hand, I think most western hunters would be sadly dissappointed up here based on quantity, but size wise, I think they'd crap their knickers.

Mark......sorry to hear it, but I'll talk to you over on CM.....

Take care all,
Bob

Bob,

That's quite a compliment, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. LOL I wish I could get a fox .. or two. Hunting out west looks interesting. I'm sure the coyotes are the same but the population density where they film must be a bit higher. Also being able to see them coming from 3/4 of a mile away is the cats azz!!! But the way I've been shooting, I'd still have to let them get within 25 yards for a "sure kill". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

While I know nothing of the circumstances relative to Mark's decision, I will say that sometimes the politics and s*it that goes on on the boards can be dishearting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifThere are very few things that I absolutely cannot even discuss without trying or willing to consider an apposing point of view. Some would say that I'm weak or don't have any values. That's just not true. In fact they are very deep rooted, but I also believe that I am far from being able to judge another human. Mark it seems like you've made a decision and it's the best one for you. Best wishes. See ya around.

Hey Fred... better be prepared. It's going to be cold and windy. Hopefully the snow will settle a couple of inches. On the bright side,the stands I have in mind for you all face the wind coming off of big fields. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'll be down wind of you in the cover of the pine thickets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Let's get some fur before the season ends!!!

Perri

Well Perri,

I got skunked last year, but I got to see several......just not through the scope.......

Most of them were travelling cross lots when I was going to or from places. They had love on their minds, and weren't too concerned about anything else.

Seeing a huge male coyote out standing in the middle of a wide open field in the middle of the day is a sight you don't see all that often.

Speaking of Mark's decision, I can respect that, for whatever reason. I've noticed several little quirks on many boards/forums over the years, some big, some small, and you either tolerate them and stay, or you get put out, or sick of it, and you leave.
I haven't spent a lot of time at PM lately except for this thread, because of helping to moderate the board over at CM, and a few other issues.

Opinions will differ, and when you run a forum, that's all part of it....as long as it's not held personally, and kept in context....
Debating something constructively is good.....battling over them is usually just a waste of time....and then there are those folks, right or wrong, who just like to argue...
Moderating that kind of issue should be done fairly and without biased preference in my opinion.

Well talk to you guys later....
Bob

Quote:
Opinions will differ, and when you run a forum, that's all part of it....as long as it's not held personally, and kept in context....
Debating something constructively is good.....battling over them is usually just a waste of time....and then there are those folks, right or wrong, who just like to argue...
Moderating that kind of issue should be done fairly and without biased preference in my opinion.

Amen!

Well if you guys can't tell, Knockem is going to be in my neck of the woods for a few stands. Wish us luck.

Whatever we get should have some beautiful fur. I can't imagine anything surviving these temps and winds with less than perfect fur.

The conditions are snow about 2 feet deep. Some places it's drifted a foot higher. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'm thinking that we'll concentrate on those areas where the deer should be holed up and two other places I know where coyotes like to den.

If the guys are out tonight on the sleds, tomorrow morning we'll use the trails to get to some stands that are farther off the roads. Beats knocking down the snow.

Any pointers from you guys would be appreciated. Oh, we'll be trying out some "mixes" containing lone howls, greetings, female invitations and MAYBE a challange or two if a BIG dominant male tries to intimidate us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

However, we won't discount the deer distress sounds.

Oh yeah, it's on...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif And Fred, I think age has it's privileges? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll point the way and follow you. he he he

good luck to you guys. i give you guys alot of credit going out in this weather. i don't know the weather conditions by you guys but over here in wny the winds are brutal, well over 20 mph! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif let us know how you guys do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dear Friends,
I am fairly new on here but thought this important issue might be a good way to introduce myself to some of the other NY predator hunters here. I signed this petition in addition to writing a letter to Gov. Spitzer. This nominee is a city slicker who has no clue about the interests and impacts of sportsmen. It would be a travesty to see him heading up DEC. I look forward to joining the ranks on here and hopefully getting to meet up with some guys for some hunts.

Thanks,
Ryan

I have just read and signed the online petition:

"NYS Sportsmen Oppose Grannis Nomination"

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition
service, at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/nogranni/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might
agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider
signing yourself.

Ryan,

Welcome and thanks for the information. I will try to make myself more familiar with this information.

Well as I stated earlier member Knock'emdown came by for a hunt. In a nutshell, to put it lightly, the conditions were tough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Last night we were only able to make one stand. The snow had settled, but not nearly enough. There were some drifts that we literally had to crawl through.

After clawing our way back to the truck we took a drive around the "block" and found some sign that included a set of huge coyote tracks and planned to get at them this morning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This morning,after a hike up (everything is up here) the hill, we settled in to call. The woods were dead. We went to another farm and made two more stands. All I can say is I respect those guys that make the efforts to hunt in these conditions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Even though we didn't see anything, I had a great time. Fred came to hunt and only commented about the quality of the territory. The guy is "hardcore"! It was also nice of him to pull me around on the sled.:p

Despite some expert calling by Fred and myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif the coyotes refused to cooperate.

I'm not going back out until the snow settles at least 20 inches or my legs grow 30 inches! Time to rest....... I'll leave the fun to you guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good Hunting,

Perri

WunderDog,

Welcome........checked out that petition and I'd like to do a little research on this Grannis before signing it. He sounds like a "winner" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif from what the petition said though. If all is as it says, then I'd be grabbing for the pen to sign anything to keep him out of there, but just to be fair & informed, I figure I'd better read up on him a touch.

Perri and Knock'Em......sounds like you guys had a ball /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Good thing you didn't get a coyote though Perri.....Knock'Em might've slammed your butt...then you would've needed the snow donut as an emergency tool to drag your limp body out of there.....LOL

Sounds like a good time was had by both..........

Take care,
Bob

We are having a very tough time calling up here in the Rome/ Taberg area with the 4+++ feet of "powder snow" on the ground also!!! We cannot find anything that is moving or responding to calls lately, not even in the hardwoods or thickets. With the winds lately at 20+mph and above multiplied by the snow, it has basically shut us down for a while. I hope that everyone else is having better luck than us!!!

Dang, I feel like a wuss complaining about 2-3 feet of the powdery stuff. I can only imagine how high some of the drifts are. One good thing I see is that the snowmobilers have been out. May try to get in a stand or two this evening. Snow is settling nicely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred,

How'd you and your uncle make out? Made on long stand here around noon. Sat for an hour. Took 30 minutes just to get into the spot.

Lovely day but no takers. Could hear the snowmobiles about a mile down the valley. Snow has settled a bit but you definitely want to use snowshoes.

Well hope you guys saw something.

Later.

Two Dogs Killed by a Coyote Pack Near Mayville

(Mayville, NY, February 25, 2007) - - On to the Southern Tier, where a recent coyote attack has health leaders issuing a warning. The Chautauqua County Health department says two dogs were killed by a coyote pack near Mayville.

Experts are asking residents to keep their pets and their food indoors, and not to approach the coyotes.

From wivb.com

I didn't believe this story until someone posted a link to it on another site. I can't believe the guy couldn't stop the attack on his dogs. I would have jammed my ski pole through every one of them coyotes.
Coyote Story

Back