Baiting

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
One of the small vintage camper trailers would be nice, but those are hard to find and pricy when you do. They don’t seem to build smaller ones these days. I do have a 6x12’ utility trailer that might make a good a good shack, but then I would not have a trailer for odd jobs when I need one.

The obvious answer is to have two trailers there 6
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...Originally Posted By: 6mm06
One of the small vintage camper trailers would be nice, but those are hard to find and pricy when you do. They don’t seem to build smaller ones these days. I do have a 6x12’ utility trailer that might make a good a good shack, but then I would not have a trailer for odd jobs when I need one.

The obvious answer is to have two trailers there 6
smile.gif

Quick and easy!
thumbup.gif

Yep, two trailers is the logical answer. But, without having to buy another trailer, would be nice to be able to load and remove it when needed, maybe something like the old slide-in truck campers. I had one of those years ago. That’s probably what you are referring to, Softpoint. Where do you find those jacks?

UPDATE: I just now Googled for camper jacks. At the prices I saw, I might as well buy another trailer.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Yep, two trailers is the logical answer. But, without having to buy another trailer, would be nice to be able to load and remove it when needed, maybe something like the old slide-in truck campers. I had one of those years ago. That’s probably what you are referring to, Softpoint. Where do you find those jacks?

UPDATE: I just now Googled for camper jacks. At the prices I saw, I might as well buy another trailer.

I've often told my wife that I was going to mount a slide-in on a small utlity trailer. I think it would work great. She rolls her eyes and say's we could name it the "Hillbilly Hilton" She just doesn't have good vision.
unsure.gif

Originally Posted By: Softpoint Maybe a removable wall tent setup?
I have actually thought about that, and how well or not it might work. Would need to be heated. Propane might cause quite a bit of condensation. Wood heat would have smoke, which would be detected. It would need to conceal light being seen too.

As to using camper jacks, they would stick out pretty far away from the trailer in order to clear the fenders when loading or unloading.

I don't think the moisture would be to big of an issue. I lived in a wall tent for a month using a propane heater. I did burn one fire a day to dry it out in the mornings.

The light issue is definitely a problem. Heavy dark colored canvas might work or plastic tarp material?

Last edited:
Reading along with interest. I thought about this a couple years ago and never got around to pursuing it. I think it would be fun and keep a guy very busy. I was thinking just an insulated, self contained blind on a dedicated trailer. If you google trailer hunting blind, there are all kinds of pics and ideas. By self contained, I mean mounted propane, bait rack, small solar panel to maintain a battery for recharging equipment, motion sensors all on board for deployment. Just throw a carcass on the meat rack, pull into an area and set up. One drawback for me I think, would be the snow in our deep months. This would have to be a fall and spring operation for me. I think the snow would get to deep Jan - Mar to pull a trailer around hay fields. Spring would have to be late spring after it dries enough to get around. Another thing that crossed my mind is, while sitting for a couple all nighters, I would wonder what my home bait sites were producing LoL! Anyway, just thinking out loud here...

Bait, your thoughts echo mine. I have been telling my son for a few years now that I want a mobile hunting shed. Seems something else always takes my priority and funds. I love the idea of it, just need to find resources to build it. I have considered an enclosed cargo trailer converted for this specific purpose, but those things are not cheap.. If money were not a problem, that’s the way I would go. This summer I need to re-shingle my house roof, so........

I hear ya 06, $$ only goes so far. But...I'm in on the idea for sure. I looked at those enclosed trailers as well. Way to pricey for this operation. Luxury, but pricey. I think I could get by cheaper, which would maybe blend in on the edge of a field a little better anyway I think. You know, a shack built with something salvaged, or looks like it was abandoned there...just fits in on a farm back 40. I hunt from my house as you know, but, have always drooled over your set up. But that is still permanent to that location, so have always thought, slide 06's shack into a trailer...yah, that's it.
Anyway, yah, cool idea. We baiters must all think the same.

I've been toying with this idea also. I need to look up 06's blind, I missed the pics of it.

Years ago when lumber was cheap I built a garden shed with real windows and a door in it, 8x12. I could see building something like that but sized to whatever size trailer a guy had and making it road-speed worthy.

I have a slide in camper we put together last summer on a large gooseneck flatbed and we haul the rzr's on behind it, but the windows would have to be different in order to be practical to hunt out of. Maybe just take the screens off I guess, but it wouldn't be ideal as is.

204, I have posted the photos a few times in the baiting thread, but there are so many pages to go through in order to find them. I guess what we all need to do from time to time is update hunting shacks, projects etc. so that newcomers can see them quicker, and also to refresh us all. So, below are some photos of my hunting shack project.

I purchased this Amish-built storage building in 2011. First, I built a 12x12 platform for the building to sit on. The building is an 8x12 so that gave me a 4' porch. I have since replaced the plywood porch part with decking boards which are proving to be much better.

The delivery guy brought the building on a flatbed hydraulic trailer and slid it off onto the platform, then squared it up in the back.

51811159908_aa882fe37e_b.jpg

51810096647_413033abaf_b.jpg

I insulated the building and put OSB as paneling. In the ceiling I put foam insulation board and over that a 5mm thin plywood. The lights are DC.

51811401639_532d69b5b1_b.jpg

I started with an air bed but have since built a good bunk with a mattress, memory foam mattress over that and a comforter, then a sleeping bag on top.
Makes for a comfortable rest.

51811051386_a487184cc7_b.jpg

49950601956_91f24d4b8e_b.jpg

49531874703_c2f8153254_b.jpg

I put inside shutters over the windows, and then cut out a small opening to shoot through. I use foam (Walmart) to cover the hole, and cut holes for the
forearm and scope to see out.

49532602152_c46ea5b356_b.jpg

49532376736_f9542a2690_b.jpg

49532376756_2b5e0f4454_b.jpg

49532376646_b84eb497e5_b.jpg

I have a propane heater that keeps the building toasty. The temp got down to 18 degrees on the night of the last coyote I got, and I have slept there
in temps barely above 10 degrees and stayed warm.

49950601266_5be58d2a9f_b.jpg

I utilize space by mounting the Cook stove on the door. I also put insulation board on the inside of the door.

49950601256_032ff3345f_b.jpg

Up until this summer I used a 12 volt battery pack to power the overhead lights and camera that watches the bait site. This past summer I finally put
in a small solar system that keeps a deep cycle AGM battery ready to go all the time.

51811220328_a25b3dfaa1_b.jpg

51468986440_446f3ca992_b.jpg

51468756214_89d0a1abf7_b.jpg

The solar system has allowed me some luxury this year, such as a DC powered TV that has a DVD player included, and a good lamp for reading.

51467263967_fe9467c115_b.jpg

51467271972_e66a8794c7_b.jpg

This project has been a work in the making over the last 10 years. I began pretty small and have added to and upgraded over the years.

06- Thank you for sharing the pictures of your hunting "Inn". Lots of thought put into your project and I like all the comfort additions. You said you replaced the plywood on the porch with decking boards. Assuming the OSB plywood remains under the building, do you worry about its longevity? I have not had much luck with OSB on outside structures, even when primed and painted.
Does your camera feed come through to a computer?
Good idea to do an update or repost of our hunting stands; it has been quite awhile. I'll try to put some fresh photos up here shortly.

Gobbler, the OSB is on the interior walls only, for paneling. I used 3/4” treated Advantec flooring for the building to sit on.

The camera is a small bullet camera that has a 16mm lens. It feeds to a small monitor like the back up automobile monitors. Both are DC operated.

Looking forward to seeing your designs again. It’s good to post them now and then to refresh memories, and for newcomers.

As to my designs, some are mine and some came from members on this forum. I got the window foam idea from DannyK. We can all learn from each other and incorporate certain ideas into our own individual needs.

This is the camera I use, a KT&C EJ230 bullet camera. It was just slightly over $100 when I got it. Prices have gone up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/400462434562

Had a little activity yesterday morning. This nice female came through @ 6:00 am. 175 yards. Caught shoulder bone and made nasty blowout. 22-204ai again.

[img:left][/img]

Back