Baiting

Thanks Gobbler. Would have been tough tracking without the snow, even though it didn’t go far. There were so many directions it could have gone, and the briar patch concealed it.

Got this nice male @ 3:30 am on the 4th. Was leaving the bait by the time I got outside. 250 yd shot, 22-204ai, 53 v max again. I need to start sleeping with clothes on... Lol

[img:left][/img]

Originally Posted By: weekendertj, no rest for the baiters. Ya just gotta takem when they come.
That’s for sure. Whoever says baiting is easy hasn’t done much of it

No truer words have been spoken. Baiting will get reliable results but time and energy spent is far more than calling from my experiences.

06 has made it art.

Was able to get out to the stand this evening. Had to wait for some of our 10 inches of snow to melt off. On my approach, I bumped a Red already feeding at the pile. No worries, I thought. Just before 6:00pm, the sensor blinked and sure enough she was back at the bait. The rest is history. Hunting over snow cover is absolutely the best. More snow coming in tonight, so it should only get better. Sorry no photo. I will try to add it later. Flickr was not working for me tonight.

Video -

https://flic.kr/p/2mWDX8G

[/video]
DU, I tried but video still did not come out as a thumbnail. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I opened video in Youtube, then right clicked on the video and clicked Copy video URL. Went to the 5th icon on reply box and pasted there. ????

Last edited:
GG, not sure what you're doing, but when you copy your URL it should look like this:

When you copy the URL it must have the /watch?v=

Then it will have the letters & numbers for your video.

Instead this is what you are getting when you copy the URL.

So, I'm not sure where you are copying the URL, but it doesn't appear to be from the address bar.

Here it is:

Originally Posted By: SoftpointNo truer words have been spoken. Baiting will get reliable results but time and energy spent is far more than calling from my experiences. 06 has made it art.
Well, maybe, but there seems to always be something to do differently. My desire is to build a mobile hunting shack on a trailer that can be pulled by a truck. I have a neighbor out the road a ways that has quite a bit of land - and coyotes. He is practically begging me to hunt. I would like to bait them rather than calling since it will be more productive in the long run. Seems there is always something tugging at my wallet. Not sure when I might can afford such an endeavor, but I certainly like the idea of it.

Nice work as usual Dave. The farm looks beautiful with the snow.

1.5X magnification might surprise a few who use conventional scopes and at 90 yards even surprised me that you didn't bump it up for the shot to 2 times. I am shooting a bit closer than that most of the time too and use the base mag usually although mine is 2.1x and have only shot up to 2x once that for the clarity and yet to try the picture in picture option as I like the full screen picture.

Beautiful and light on the rifle too which is what put me off the ATN

I can see 06 with a Winnebago, complete with side port, full size shooting bench topped with a lead sled. Instead of annoying fog lights that all the new vehicles have, his will have IR in 850 and 940 with directional adjustment. Yep, it's coming... coyotes beware!

Dave, I could see plenty good enough with the 1.5x at 90 yards. It wasn’t a problem to acquire the target. The only concern I had was trajectory. From past shooting with high mounted scopes, I knew the impact would be high at 90, given that I sight spot on at 60. A slight under hold landed the bullet in a good spot.

Week, don’t tempt me or I will never get out of debt.

When you're comfortable you will stay in the game longer especially as you get older.

Movable comfort is the next step in your evolution.

I'd love to see what you'd come up with if you won the lottery!

One of the small vintage camper trailers would be nice, but those are hard to find and pricy when you do. They don’t seem to build smaller ones these days. I do have a 6x12’ utility trailer that might make a good a good shack, but then I would not have a trailer for odd jobs when I need one.

Back