Wolf versus American Pitbull Terrier?

Funny thought, A man can squish a wasp, hornet, or bee with just two fingers, yet just the sight of one would be enough to send some men running away.

I am a new member and my first question is to ask what most people define as a pitbull terrior. I agree that wolf will end up the victor since nature has selected him to survive fighting with other wolves and dogs. Those pitbulls that are bred to fight other dogs in the pit are usually smaller dogs (45-65 lbs) that are much smaller than most northern american wolves. The wolf would beat these dogs due his size and much, much larger canines.
There are other pit bulls that are larger and look like bulldogs. At best they are bred as catch dogs for hogs and to chew up human intruders. Many of them have smaller teeth, their jaws are both too short and do not open wide enough to grip a wolf's properly. There are some old time bulldogs that can open wide enough to kill a another dog by biting through the chest, but not the newer fangle breeds a lot of people have been turning out in recent years. Overall one wolf equals one dead pitbull.
Mastiff type dogs were once used as guard animals against wolves, but outside of certain regions of spain and a few isolated areas of the americas they are extinct. What are sold as mastiffs today are so slow and clumsy they would get badly chewed up by a one on one encounter with a wolf.
But to be fair we wiped out wolves some years ago and the western europeans did some 100's of years ago in most regions. There has been no reason to breed dogs that could kill wolves and most dogs are just not in the same league. Now that the wolf, coyote, coy-dog, panther, and bear are back in the lower 48, maybe this will change.

Last edited:
Funny you brought up Mastiffs. Years back my father-in-laws Brittany bird dogs were killed by worthless Pit's that a mangy cretin down the road owned and let run free.

A friend of my father-in-law raised Mastiffs and brought two over. I witnessed the fight....

One Pit almost had his head bitten and tore completely off. The other Pit came to a almost deserving end.

My experience with wolves involve some mix breeds, National Geographic, and the zoo.
From what I have seen of PB's in various years of LE work;

A big Wolf will destroy a PB. To bad people that drop off PB's do not do it in Yellowstone.

Al

SO... you had 2 dogs killed and rather than just shoot the bastards you brought 2 more dogs over to organize a fight thats pretty F'd up man

Originally Posted By: RustHunterSO... you had 2 dogs killed and rather than just shoot the bastards you brought 2 more dogs over to organize a fight thats pretty F'd up man
I do not think you are seeing the whole picture. Shooting dogs out of hand can lead to serious legal problems. If two pitbulls wander into your yard and your guard dogs kill them, no one is likely to say much about it. Apparently each breed of dog did what it was supposed to do. Pitbulls often attack other dogs w/o provocation. Mastiffs were doing what they were bred to do and that is kill intruding attacking predators. If they had shot the dogs out of hand it is likely the cretin owner might also retaliated. He can not say much if his dogs were killed in a dogfight off his property.

Originally Posted By: barnetmillOriginally Posted By: RustHunterSO... you had 2 dogs killed and rather than just shoot the bastards you brought 2 more dogs over to organize a fight thats pretty F'd up man
I do not think you are seeing the whole picture. Shooting dogs out of hand can lead to serious legal problems. If two pitbulls wander into your yard and your guard dogs kill them, no one is likely to say much about it. Apparently each breed of dog did what it was supposed to do. Pitbulls often attack other dogs w/o provocation. Mastiffs were doing what they were bred to do and that is kill intruding attacking predators. If they had shot the dogs out of hand it is likely the cretin owner might also retaliated. He can not say much if his dogs were killed in a dogfight off his property.

Yup, that is the short of it.

I voted to shoot the rotten pieces of vermin, but F-I-L wanted it that way.

Sorry law has been proven over and over again if your neighbors animal is on your property "illegally" without permission it's fair game.... Shoot it run it over put your dogs on it whatever... You would prob be closer too getting in trouble by putting your dogs on them than just shooting them outright. And yes I would prob concure with the fact of putting a 150 200 lb anything on a 75 100 lb anything and sure much larger animal will likely win.. Facts show that game bred Pitts are usually smaller than your akc ckc ukc show animals you can look into that much anyway you like... Game dogs are prefered lighter smaller faster quicker which is also why alot of fighting line owners even prefer too take a female too the local "Scratch" Wolves are pack animals that's what enables then too survive in wild a pit does not reside in the wild. If by whatever chance that a wolf and a "Game" pit of similar stature weight that is not 50 plus pounds outweighed,,,,,,,My money is on the Pitt. The old saying of "there is no replacement for displacement" applies to animals and humans as well as cars and guns.....

A wolf is bred for hunting. A true game bred pitbull is bred for fighting. The wolf would out hunt a pitbull anyday. A pitbull would outfight a wolf 9 out of 10 times. It's like comparing apples to oranges. The pitbull used to be put in cages with bears and lions..... Why would you think a wolf would stand a chance?

I think it would be a draw. They would whip up on each other mercilessly but in the end become best buds and eat Alpo side by side from here to eternity.

A pitbull would be wolf poop.A cat would stand a better chance against a wolf because it can climb a tree. If you think a pit would woop a wolf you are fooling your self end of story.

Originally Posted By: Haystack22/250Sorry law has been proven over and over again if your neighbors animal is on your property "illegally" without permission it's fair game.... Shoot it run it over put your dogs on it whatever... You would prob be closer too getting in trouble by putting your dogs on them than just shooting them outright. And yes I would prob concure with the fact of putting a 150 200 lb anything on a 75 100 lb anything and sure much larger animal will likely win.. Facts show that game bred Pitts are usually smaller than your akc ckc ukc show animals you can look into that much anyway you like... Game dogs are prefered lighter smaller faster quicker which is also why alot of fighting line owners even prefer too take a female too the local "Scratch" Wolves are pack animals that's what enables then too survive in wild a pit does not reside in the wild. If by whatever chance that a wolf and a "Game" pit of similar stature weight that is not 50 plus pounds outweighed,,,,,,,My money is on the Pitt. The old saying of "there is no replacement for displacement" applies to animals and humans as well as cars and guns.....

Well in Wyoming if you shoot someones animal just bacause it is wondering you will be paying for someones trophy dog as well as the criminal charges, you had better hope it is harrassing livestock then it is fair game. Why would you want to take a pit in its prime shape and put it against a scrawny wolf, the whole question was two alpha type dogs going at it. It is no ones fault that the alpha wolf will outweigh the alpha pit considerably. I comment you loyal pit owners but the odds are definately not stacked in your favor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMSOriginally Posted By: Haystack22/250Sorry law has been proven over and over again if your neighbors animal is on your property "illegally" without permission it's fair game.... Shoot it run it over put your dogs on it whatever... You would prob be closer too getting in trouble by putting your dogs on them than just shooting them outright. And yes I would prob concure with the fact of putting a 150 200 lb anything on a 75 100 lb anything and sure much larger animal will likely win.. Facts show that game bred Pitts are usually smaller than your akc ckc ukc show animals you can look into that much anyway you like... Game dogs are prefered lighter smaller faster quicker which is also why alot of fighting line owners even prefer too take a female too the local "Scratch" Wolves are pack animals that's what enables then too survive in wild a pit does not reside in the wild. If by whatever chance that a wolf and a "Game" pit of similar stature weight that is not 50 plus pounds outweighed,,,,,,,My money is on the Pitt. The old saying of "there is no replacement for displacement" applies to animals and humans as well as cars and guns.....

Well in Wyoming if you shoot someones animal just bacause it is wondering you will be paying for someones trophy dog as well as the criminal charges, you had better hope it is harrassing livestock then it is fair game. Why would you want to take a pit in its prime shape and put it against a scrawny wolf, the whole question was two alpha type dogs going at it. It is no ones fault that the alpha wolf will outweigh the alpha pit considerably. I comment you loyal pit owners but the odds are definately not stacked in your favor.

Haystack you better reread the laws because you are not right. That being said it cost my brother inlaw 685.00. The dog had him stuck up in his treestand so he shot it. It had no tags and was running loose on his property. The sheriff said he thought he was within the law to shoot it BUT the dog owner,proscuter and JUDGE saw it diffrent. So watch it animal lovers are everywhere.

Shoot shovel and shut up.

When in in doubt please refer to my 3 S's!!!! That will take care of any problematic dogs and even their owners sometimes.....

When referring to their dogs, most "dog owners, breeders" will swear to the end that "their" dog(dogs) are the best there is. However, how can you HONESTLY compare a wild animal(canine) to a domestic one?

The wolf is probly the most lethal predator in the world, hands down. Yes they are a pack animal, but they will kill for pleasure and for food.

I only know about one dog breed that kan stand against wolfs now a days. Its the Caucasian shepherd dog.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_Shepherd_Dog

And then we have the boerboel, but its bred for African conditions. So i have no idé how it will do against a artic wolf. But the boerboel is a beast. (just googel)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerboel

I belive that a pit dont have a anything to put up against a well feed wolf... Never gonna happen. There is a reson that the wolfs are inkluded in Norse mythology as the Fenrir wolf.

(First post, love this forum!
thumbup1.gif
)

Last edited:
Guy's I have had both as pets. I once owned an Eliey blood line pit that had insane game and a friend a couple houses down had a White wolf She was a big girl too about 165# I am 5'11" and she would stand up and place her paws on my shoulders and look down at me. My pit Athena and Sue the wolf happen to have an issue one day and it was over before it got started. Sue grabbed Athena and shook her like a rag doll it took me and two buddies to get Sue off Athena. The pit never even got one bite in before Sue had her in her mouth and when I say in her mouth I mean literally her jaws wrapped around Athena's back she picked her up off her feet. I have seen Athena hold her own on wild life, big Coons and a few wild dogs and such with no issues what so ever but a wolf is a total different issue. She knew she was in trouble when we got Sue off of her, Athena B lined to the house and never looked back. I remember Sue's eyes just before she cut loose and it is an earie feeling to see first hand I assure you. Needless to say Sue is gone, My buddy gave her to a friend and he was able to send her to Montana to some refuge with a beeding program that's were she was tested I assume.

Originally Posted By: roode301A pitbull would be wolf poop. A cat would stand a better chance against a wolf because it can climb a tree. If you think a pit would woop a wolf you are fooling your self end of story.

lol.gif
Nice

Back