Whats your thought on the 7mm-08??

The 7mm still has the higher BC and SD with a slightly lighter bullet, no matter how you slice it. Push 'em to any MV you want......

I guess it depends where look
but Hodgdon says.

7-08 - 175gr 43gr W760 = 2495 fps
.308 - 175gr 49gr W760 = 2629 fps

The .308 is faster because it uses more powder.

Then again this disscussion is over a small difference of +-5grs and/or +-100 fps.

With the exact same bullet? I don't think so.

6 more gr of powder is a lot to gain 100fps, if you reload much.

Again, I don't need a manual to KNOW the 7-08 is more efficient. Been there, done that....

I was looking at having a rifle built a few years back. My specs were:

Short action
no "short mag"
26 cal or greater

I kept going back to the 260 Rem and the 7mm08. After looking at ballistics till I was sick...I chose the 7mm08. I think it is one of the best rounds out there for med. game. I would even hunt elk with mine. Its a great round.

7-08s one of the truly great rounds, IMO. There ain't much it don't excel at. Recoil is minimal, accuracy is great, barrel life is long, don't eat a lot of powder, and it flat out kills beyond what it should "on paper"....

So, even though the base of the bullet is a smaller diameter, and you are putting the same pressure behind it, it magically goes faster with less powder?

That would be amazing, if true. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Still don't care what the manual says.....

Manuals are not so great at comparing cartridges, since they don't use a consistant barrel length. Hornady used an 18 1/2" for their 7mm/08 and a 22" for their .308 in my manual.

It makes the 7mm/08 look like a dog if you don't catch that little tidbit of info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quote:
So, even though the base of the bullet is a smaller diameter, and you are putting the same pressure behind it, it magically goes faster with less powder?

That would be amazing, if true. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Still don't care what the manual says.....

Manuals are not so great at comparing cartridges, since they don't use a consistant barrel length. Hornady used an 18 1/2" for their 7mm/08 and a 22" for their .308 in my manual.

It makes the 7mm/08 look like a dog if you don't catch that little tidbit of info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Yep. Knowing how to read is DEFINITELY a prerequisite of knowing how to reload. Congratulations on your stunning "find". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Read the info I laid down. It is true. No magic, just facts. Better yet, go calculate the info on your own, through actual shooting experience, as I have. It tends to disspel all "myths"........

Quote:
7mm 175gr 43.7gr W760=2500fps

.308 180gr 48.4gr W760=2500fps

Quote:
Don't think you are comparing apples to apples here....

So when comparing 180gr bullets and 175gr bullets its "apples to apples" ?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Better yet, go calculate the info on your own, through actual shooting experience, as I have.

You couldn't give me a 7mm/08.
If I wanted a 7mm, I'd buy a 7mm Rem. Mag. instead of a neutered .308. Then I could get enough velocity to actually take advantage of the BC on 600+ yard shots.
Which I'm not a fan of on game animals to begin with.

You might also notice I never said there was anything wrong with a 7mm/08, except it doesn't allow the use of 180-200 gr. bullets, and I prefer those for hunting thick brush.
Post some data you compiled with a 200 gr. Partition in the 7mm/08 if you want to change my mind on it.

Yes, it is. In a few years, you can look back at what you've learned here, and understand that........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
a neutered .308.

That's a good one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, I've never heard or thought of the 7mm-08 that way before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Better yet, go calculate the info on your own, through actual shooting experience, as I have.

You couldn't give me a 7mm/08.
If I wanted a 7mm, I'd buy a 7mm Rem. Mag. instead of a neutered .308. Then I could get enough velocity to actually take advantage of the BC on 600+ yard shots.
Which I'm not a fan of on game animals to begin with.

You might also notice I never said there was anything wrong with a 7mm/08, except it doesn't allow the use of 180-200 gr. bullets, and I prefer those for hunting thick brush.
Post some data you compiled with a 200 gr. Partition in the 7mm/08 if you want to change my mind on it.

I wouldn't want to give you a 7-08, it's more than obvious you wouldn't know how to use it.

First you have to be smarter than the rifle. It is obvious you do not qualify.

One minute it doesn't have high enough velocity to be any good at 600yds, the next it isn't heavy enough for brush hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Get a clue, and then get back with me.......

Quote:
Quote:
a neutered .308.

That's a good one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, I've never heard or thought of the 7mm-08 that way before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good reason why, since it has more balls.....

The only thing I've "learned" from this thread is that when the question 7mm-08 vs. 308 is asked your gonna hear alot of different opinions and alot of them are relative.

Back